Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microsoft is entering the Car PC market?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft is entering the Car PC market?

is Microsoft finally gonna give us something??

http://www.gadgetspy.co.uk/2005/04/09/microsoft-ice/
    Pentium 4m 1.5GHz|MB896|Roadie Extreme|XM-Direct|Rikaline 6010|T-View 7"|Streetdeck|160gb Western Digital|1Gb DDR2-533 Ram

Just seen a video on Windows automotive, Watch it here

Comment

looks nice.. but as with most things MS is in charge of, it gives us no control over it..

I'll stick with our solutions .. but then again.. they aren't marketing it to us..
      Shawn

Check out my web company Minneapolis Web Designer | MODx Web Design - Himmelberger Design

Comment

man, imagine having a microsoft budget to develop a car pc........

|V1 Virtual Display|

Hard work often pays off over time, laziness always pays off right now.

Comment

It'll crash every five minutes though if a complete Microsoft solution!

Comment

i read about this.. something small enuff to fit inside a baseball cap or something.. gives you running diagnostics of the car..

Thats all we need.. "Your car has performed an illigal opperation and will shut down"
            CAR INFO HERE
            "He who dies with the most toys, wins".

Comment

Originally posted by vxcarpc
              i read about this.. something small enuff to fit inside a baseball cap or something.. gives you running diagnostics of the car..

Thats all we need.. "Your car has performed an illigal opperation and will shut down"

I hear that
              Researching and acquiring funds

Comment

"Please restart the car for the updates to take effect"
                "Your car is running in safe mode, breaks are engaged for your safety"
                "You have 2 days left to register your car. Would you like to register now?"
                "USB2.0 gas tank"

oh the horror!
                00 Saturn SL2, boosted @ 8 psi - CarDomain
                Newest install - my quickest ever
                My 2nd carputer - b4 I broke the touchscreen
                My very first carputer - voted the most ghetto

Comment

Originally posted by Yuriy
                  "Please restart the car for the updates to take effect"
                  "Your car is running in safe mode, breaks are engaged for your safety"
                  "You have 2 days left to register your car. Would you like to register now?"
                  "USB2.0 gas tank"

oh the horror!
                  Oh, the pain!!! the horror!!! ...and with Linux and Mac forums barely alive, I presume most folks here use, uh, AmigaOS in their carputers?
                  Asus K8S-MX ~ Athlon 64 2800+ ~ Kingmax MPXD42D-2K 1Gb ~ Seagate ST960822A 60Gb ~ PSK-3100 PS/2 kbd ~ MR-350 GPS ~ Hawking HSB1AP ~ Buffalo WLI-USB-G54 ~ 8" Dynamix TS LCD ~ DSATX ~ XCard ~ TVedia ~ some LCD TV ~ Vista ~ MapPoint 2006 ~ iGuidance 2.*

Comment

Nice one. I bet it will also say Illegal Operation as you get flashed by the Speedcams.

If this is anything like Xbox for cars. It WILL be chipable and you will be able to put your own software in it (once its been chipped), and it will have a big following once established. Chances are that they'll give us 800x480 too.

Surely Micr0$oft has to realise that this market needs a highly customisable device to satisfy the different needs and necessities of each area and customer.
                    And there will no doubt have to be some standardisation to allow different exteranal harware like phones, OBDII, etc to work flawlessly, unless of course its all built in...

And with all the extra 7" screens being sold they might finally bring screen prices down and raise the bar for people trying to sell a pre-built VIA system for like 600-1000

Anything that brings more IT investment and more choice into this flurishing arena has got to be a good thing hasn't it?
                    My Nissan 200SX @ Silverstone
                    NOW SADLY WRITTEN OFF!

My Car's spec list + pics

Stealth CarPC fab'ing...

Comment

I think things will be very locked down and inaccessable (not to say it would be impossible to hack, just tougher than an xbox). Even ignoring microsofts track record, in a car environment, there is a lot more that they have to worry about liability for.

|V1 Virtual Display|

Hard work often pays off over time, laziness always pays off right now.

Comment

wow zpilott how can you run all that stuff off your 2.2 Mhz system i didn't even know they 2.2 mhz anymore. where did you get the processor out of an antique show?
                        -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

Originally posted by vxcarpc

Wow! that's scary. Also, what if this happens... the dreaded "Blue screen of death". The only recourse would be "Please reboot your vehicle". recommended by the great B. Gates.

Comment

I don't know about y'all but I could only stomache that video for about two minutes... if I hear anyone talk like that again (starting every freakin sentence with "so"), I'll shoot myself! Ugh! Thats just annoying! lol Other than that... yeah, if we depend solely on Microsoft, it'll be constant crashville!

Later!
                            Coach... aka Randy! (I often forget who I really am!) ;)

***Too many pieces and parts to list... maybe someday I'll show'm to ya!***

Comment

Ive seen this video like over a year ago. Its only gona be seen in oem cars once its done i bet.
                              1990 Jeep Cherokee
                              2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
                              2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

Working...
                              X