pci hdtv tuner questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pci hdtv tuner questions

i was thinking that since hdtv reception is a lot cleaner than the regular analog reception, maybe in a car situation it would work better if i could put in one of those pci hdtv tuner cards sold by ati or avermedia.

If it is possible what would i need (im a noob when it comes to hdtv)

will i need to get one of those hdtv tuner boxes to tune the stations or will the card do that on its own? a regular antennnae to recieve the signal? or anything else..
    I wish i knew how to do fiberglass work...

If youre only using the analog antenna as input, what is the point of displaying it in hi def? It won't take the fuzz out!

The card will tune stations, but they dont come with an antenna, they just have coaxial input to plug the tv cable in. In a car, the only thing you could plug in is an antenna.
    Carputer status: [-*---------]
    Im thinking laptop...

Comment

then how would i go about tuning in those free Over the Air digital signals?

Comment

Originally posted by theheel
        Just a regular tv tuner card, hi def is unnecessary with ANALOG signals, which is what comes over the air. While it may improve analog and non hi def digital signal clarity, the only thing that will make the tv signal stronger with an antenna is a signal booster.
        Im thinking laptop...

Comment

Originally posted by theheel
          Do these exist?...
          Im thinking laptop...

Comment

Apparently so.... but they havent rolled it out completely yet.
            http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/digitaltv.html
            Receiving DTV signals over the air requires an antenna and a new DTV receiver that can decode the digital signals. In general, an antenna that provides quality reception of over-the-air analog TV signals will work for DTV reception.
            Im thinking laptop...

Comment

Originally posted by shizzle
              Just a regular tv tuner card, hi def is unnecessary with ANALOG signals, which is what comes over the air. While it may improve analog and non hi def digital signal clarity, the only thing that will make the tv signal stronger with an antenna is a signal booster.
              Not entirely correct. There are numerous stations in the larger markets that are broadcasting DIGITAL signals over-the-air (called OTA DTV for over-the-air digital-TV). From what I've read, a regular VHF/UHF antenna would work, since many stations broadcast their digital signal in the UHF range (generally above channel 13). So, you can get digital TV signals using a vhf/uhf antenna.

You can view the list of "DTV Stations on the Air" via the FCC website at http://www.fcc.gov/mb/video/files/dtvonair.html

Comment

Originally posted by WxGuy1
                Not entirely correct. There are numerous stations in the larger markets that are broadcasting DIGITAL signals over-the-air (called OTA DTV for over-the-air digital-TV). From what I've read, a regular VHF/UHF antenna would work, since many stations broadcast their digital signal in the UHF range (generally above channel 13). So, you can get digital TV signals using a vhf/uhf antenna.

You can view the list of "DTV Stations on the Air" via the FCC website at http://www.fcc.gov/mb/video/files/dtvonair.html
                Yeah, your'e right, I remembered hearing about DTV and did a and found the link below. I didn't want to mislead, thanks for the correction. According to the link I provided, it may not play right on all tv's, but a regular antenna will pick up the signal.

From the link:

How Do I Get DTV?

Receiving DTV signals over the air requires an antenna and a new DTV receiver that can decode the digital signals. In general, an antenna that provides quality reception of over-the-air analog TV signals will work for DTV reception.
                Im thinking laptop...

Comment

so what exactly are we saying here im a little confused with all the terminalogy?

with the hdtv tuner card + regular antenna = hdtv channels in analog quality
                  or
                  with the hdtv tuner card + regular antenna = hdtv channels in digital quality
                  or
                  with hdtv tuner card + dtv tuner box (or whatever its called)+ regular antenna = hdtv channels in digital quality

btw i live int he chicagoland area so ota hdtv channels are available in my area.

Comment

I would think the hdtv card would decode the signal without the decoder box mentioned, since it is a digital tuner card. (duh!)
                    In general, an antenna that provides quality reception of over-the-air analog TV signals will work for DTV reception.
                    I guess the picture quality will be limited to the signal strength, and reception ability of the antenna, but digital nonetheless.
                    Im thinking laptop...

Comment

Receiving the OTA digital signal requires the receiving antenna be pointed directly at the broadcasting antenna for best reception. Since the signal is UHF, you pretty much need direct line-of-sight. For my home receiver, I use this web site to show the location of the local stations' antenna farm so I can point my antenna.

In a moving car, this would be almost impossible to maintain proper line-of-sight to pick up the OTA digital signal. So I would recommend forgetting about in-car hdtv.

Comment

also curious

I am also curious if anyone has tried receiving hdtv signals while mobile, and what the results are, maybe someone who has an htpc with hd tuner card can take their pc mobile and test it out . Or someone with money to blow, add it to their carpc. I might do it if I ever get around to building my car pc

Comment

If you bought the ATI HD Wonder (or whatever they call it) all you need is an antenna to pick up the digital broadcasts. It'll show in HD or SD, but it'll be digital. The problem is any antenna you can get for the car won't do too well to pick up the broadcasts unless you're in the general vicinity of the towers (downtown Manhattan, Atlanta, etc.) You don't need a seperate tuner box for the ATI.

Comment

Originally posted by wi77iam
                            Receiving the OTA digital signal requires the receiving antenna be pointed directly at the broadcasting antenna for best reception. Since the signal is UHF, you pretty much need direct line-of-sight. For my home receiver, I use this web site to show the location of the local stations' antenna farm so I can point my antenna.

In a moving car, this would be almost impossible to maintain proper line-of-sight to pick up the OTA digital signal. So I would recommend forgetting about in-car hdtv.
                            Agreed, your HDTV antenna MUST be pointed towards the broadcasting antennas ( in my case, i would point it west towards manhattan) therefore, your hdtv antenna would have to be on a rotary axis, similar to the satellite dishes they use on boats or RVs for molile satellite (and the equipment costs about $3000). I would check the mentioned site as well, just to see what's in your area, but any hopes of getting a clear CONSISTANT hdtv signal are slim to none while driving

http://www.antennaweb.org/
                            '03 Acura TL PC FINISHED!!
                            MP3CAR

Comment

Originally posted by Jahntassa
                              If you bought the ATI HD Wonder (or whatever they call it) all you need is an antenna to pick up the digital broadcasts. It'll show in HD or SD, but it'll be digital. The problem is any antenna you can get for the car won't do too well to pick up the broadcasts unless you're in the general vicinity of the towers (downtown Manhattan, Atlanta, etc.) You don't need a seperate tuner box for the ATI.
                              I have one of the Wonder cards in my computer, and I cant take my eyes off the screen. (Not meaning to de-rail) the topic.

Whats the point of having HDTV in a car when normally its only being seen on a 7 inch screen or so?
                              Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
                              Kenwood X790 x/ iP500 Ipod Interface
                              Elemental Designs 13Kv.2 D2
                              CDT ES-620 (omg yayay!!!1)
                              NINe.2X, NINe.2

Comment

Working...
                              X