Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Putting the PC on standby

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Putting the PC on standby

    I've been planning a Car PC for the last few months, and have had the computer running (open) on my desk since the end of march. I've finally ordered a case, and will be testing it in my car tomorrow.

    For now, I'll be using one of those portable battery pack things (bought for 50 from Halfords) that supply 12v DC from a cigarette lighter socket.

    I've been reading the forum, and noticed that many people are using standby to get around the two minute bootup process before music can start. The problem with this, is that it slowly drains the battery.

    I was looking around the Windows power management settings, and came across hibernate. After looking on and trying it out, I've come to the conclusion that this might be a better option than standby.

    Although restoring from standby takes one or two seconds, the power issues mentioned above are key. When you put the computer into hibernation, it saves the session to disk instead of saving it in the RAM. This means that the PC is able to totally shut down, and therefore use no power whatsoever.

    When you press the power button again, it took me a whole twelve seconds before Winamp automatically started playing music.

    Surely this 10 second difference is worth it? Just an idea.

  • #2
    Another idea, search this forum...before posting 'new' ideas.
    Laidback


    The ultimate CarPC - Wow!

    Comment


    • #3
      *sarcasm* no wayyyyy we can hibernate???@


      btw, even in hibernation and totally shut down, motherboard still draws a little power.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Simon Maddox
        I've been planning a Car PC for the last few months, and have had the computer running (open) on my desk since the end of march. I've finally ordered a case, and will be testing it in my car tomorrow.

        For now, I'll be using one of those portable battery pack things (bought for 50 from Halfords) that supply 12v DC from a cigarette lighter socket.

        I've been reading the forum, and noticed that many people are using standby to get around the two minute bootup process before music can start. The problem with this, is that it slowly drains the battery.

        I was looking around the Windows power management settings, and came across hibernate. After looking on and trying it out, I've come to the conclusion that this might be a better option than standby.

        Although restoring from standby takes one or two seconds, the power issues mentioned above are key. When you put the computer into hibernation, it saves the session to disk instead of saving it in the RAM. This means that the PC is able to totally shut down, and therefore use no power whatsoever.

        When you press the power button again, it took me a whole twelve seconds before Winamp automatically started playing music.

        Surely this 10 second difference is worth it? Just an idea.

        Seriously, do a little more research!

        I've used standby for over a year now every single day and it has never drained my battery. Read the forum properly and you'll see some people prefer hibernation, some people boot up every single time with optimised windows installs. I prefer standby because it's reliable, and the Car PC is the only 'ICE' in the car, running radio, music, sat nav, everything else. Hibernation for me would be far too long, and certainly wouldn't get approval from my other half.

        You may want to look at the Carnetix (see http://linitx.com for a UK supplier) as this would have been better money spent than on the stuff you got from halfords, by the way.
        Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
        Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by stevieg
          is the only 'ICE' in the car,
          Uh-oh, you'd better duck!!

          Seriously though, what's the longest you've left the car?
          Laidback


          The ultimate CarPC - Wow!

          Comment


          • #6
            i know my battery won't support standby for more than a day. the case fan and cpu fan still spin. that's a pretty big current draw.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by krystar
              i know my battery won't support standby for more than a day. the case fan and cpu fan still spin. that's a pretty big current draw.
              Three words.... Suspend to RAM.
              Old setup
              Epia M10k, Cubid 2699R case, 512MB, 40GB 3.5" drive
              New setup
              Optiplex 260SX (2.8GHz P4, 512MB, 30GB, DVD)
              Xenarc 700IDT, USB hub, 802.11g, bluetooth, P2140, P5V

              Comment


              • #8
                I've been using standby for my daily for 6+ months. No problems.
                Stealth OEM spyder
                1204 dot net!

                Comment


                • #9
                  I have to hibernate due to my setup, since i'm using a MB that's not ATX but AT. I'd like to do an EPIA, but, lack the funds. SO..since I physically shut off the computer, hibernate is the way to go. Thankfully my soundcard boots up relatively quickly, so the music is pretty fast to play.

                  And, as the rest are saying, Standby doesn't really take up too much power, depending on your configuration. I know laptops that can suspend for 2-3 days, and that's on a tiny battery in comparison to under the hood!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Thanks for all of the sarcastic replies.

                    Originally posted by stevieg
                    You may want to look at the Carnetix (see http://linitx.com for a UK supplier) as this would have been better money spent than on the stuff you got from halfords, by the way.

                    I didn't buy this with the car pc in mind. It works as a portable jumpstart kit too. (First proper car, worrying parents...I'm sure you all know what it's like )

                    I've been looking at that M1-ATX from Audioforge.com, but don't know which is better - that, the OPUS or the Carnetix (especially for those on a supertight budget).

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X