Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UnHappy taxi driver

hi

can anyont tell me how to go about reducing/elimination interference for the car pc.

My full- time ocupation is being a taxi driver and ever since ive installed the CAR pc my CB signal has droped to less than half the strenghth, but when i close the pc its gose back to normall. It only affects The cb radio and not the car fm/am Radio.

Any sugestions??

Thanks
    Lilitput 7" touch screen :-( , Epia -M 256ddr, Opus150w,

Ground Loop issue

Bugabyte has taken the time to write a nice FAQ -Frequently asked Questions that addresses this issue as well as others that have to do with interference
    Its in the FAQ Emporium section.

Or just search the forums and use the keywords - ground loop

Here is a link as well to his post http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51372

Originally posted by Mush
    hi

can anyont tell me how to go about reducing/elimination interference for the car pc.

My full- time ocupation is being a taxi driver and ever since ive installed the CAR pc my CB signal has droped to less than half the strenghth, but when i close the pc its gose back to normall. It only affects The cb radio and not the car fm/am Radio.

Any sugestions??

Thanks

Comment

Actually, this wouldn't be a ground loop issue. That has to do with noise in the audio line, this is a wireless interference problem... probably much like how many of us have trouble with our key fobs working when the carputer is on. Here's a couple threads on the issue, but no real solution

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...b+interference

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...b+interference
      90% done - Sempron 64 2600+, MSI RS480M, 512mb, 80gb hd, 7" Lilliput, 802.11g pci, Itrek gps, Panasonic slim slot DVD/CDRW (broke :( ), Hauppage Wintv, Iguidance 2.0, Opus 150w, Griffin Powermate, Optima Yellowtop, Infiniti 6002i & 9603i

My Install

Comment

THANKS for information. i think ill try to ground the case as well as sheild it inside another case just to see if that dose the trick
        Lilitput 7" touch screen :-( , Epia -M 256ddr, Opus150w,

Comment

let us know how that works out for ya
          90% done - Sempron 64 2600+, MSI RS480M, 512mb, 80gb hd, 7" Lilliput, 802.11g pci, Itrek gps, Panasonic slim slot DVD/CDRW (broke :( ), Hauppage Wintv, Iguidance 2.0, Opus 150w, Griffin Powermate, Optima Yellowtop, Infiniti 6002i & 9603i

My Install

Comment

There's nothing worse...
            Laidback

The ultimate CarPC - Wow!

Comment

Originally posted by Mush
              THANKS for information. i think ill try to ground the case as well as sheild it inside another case just to see if that dose the trick
              You need to add additional shielding on the the computer and also all wires going to and from.

You can buy EMI shielding from Mouser or digikey (i think) that has adhesive on one side. THis should help. Also install ferrets on both ends of all of the wires to cancel out EMI

Good luck Let us know how it goes
              -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

I had a horrible issue with EMI. It completely eradicated all FM radio signal and it rendered my alarm keyfob useless. I ran the computer in the trunk with a fiberglass and wood case.

The solution was to house the computer in a small metal (aluminum) case and bury it underneath the trunk carpet so the case sat flat against the body of the car.
                After this my problems were solved

I also had FM reception issues with the GPS reciever sitting on the rear shelf. I since replaced it with an OEM based reciever with an external antenna (still on the rear shelf) and that problem has now also been solved
                2004 G35 Coupe project

Comment

!!!!!Wow! You know, I just thought my keyfob was sucking! It seems like the range varies everytime I get out of the car. I'll bet it's the EMI.
                  Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                  I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                  Want to:
                  -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                  -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Working...
                  X