• Show
Clear All

• Hard drives designed for cars: seagate

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4080182.stm

interesting stuff

carputers carpc's are the future
    My OLD carputer page
    My NEW carPC

Via Epia M10000, 512 PC2100, Opus 150, 8" lilly touch, 320 GB 7200 WD Caviar

Sounds like a gimmick to me. Give me a good laptop drive any day! I dread to think how expensive they'll be.

Well spotted though, and it's nice to see uk peeps on here...
    FociMan

Ford Focus Collection
    EPIA M10K / 512Kb / Creative Audigy NX USB
    8" touchscreen
    D-Link USB Radio
    USB GPS Mouse
    Bluetooth GPRS Web Connection
    Centrafuse Beta2 / MapMonkey

Comment

i like this article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4079417.stm

Comment

Originally posted by FociMan
        Well spotted though, and it's nice to see uk peeps on here...
        he's from Cincinnati dude!

Comment

yar, im from cincy. I just read fark.com, which is the best site in the world for random news stories from all over the world. I read that on there, and thought it was great.

btw. I saw a firebird at applebees in kentuky, with a carpc that ran 24/7, it was pimp as hell, I talked with the guy for a little. I can't wait til my m1-atx gets fixed
          My OLD carputer page
          My NEW carPC

Via Epia M10000, 512 PC2100, Opus 150, 8" lilly touch, 320 GB 7200 WD Caviar

Comment

Now...why would an American not read the U.S. media......mmm is it because it lies...?

9/11 made in the USA

Comment

Sounds like a gimmick to me. Give me a good laptop drive any day! I dread to think how expensive they'll be.
              you're one of those people who doesn't like change much aren't you? hehehe

never mind the fact that new innovations are rarely ever as cheap as current products....remember what computers cost 10 years ago?
              Jan Bennett
              FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

It is likely an expensive solution to a cheep problem. The real issue is almost no car apllication will need what this product offers. The current desktop drives are fine for in car use. Laptop drives are more durable and more expensive. More than that is not needed.

Many stories of HDs being in autos for years prove this.
                TruckinMP3
                D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

Normal drives may be fine but the fact is that for OEM use they are not fine. Commercial equipment must be known to be able to survive so car and ICE makers will use the more expensive purpose built drives.

Comment

I agree that car manufacturers will use these drives. Especially when you consider the cost of having a factory sat nav/mp3 system installed. They need to have a reliable and completely robust solution. But I think that from an enthusiasts point of view, such as all of us on this forum, they will prove too expensive and an overkill for our needs.
                    FociMan

Ford Focus Collection
                    EPIA M10K / 512Kb / Creative Audigy NX USB
                    8" touchscreen
                    D-Link USB Radio
                    USB GPS Mouse
                    Bluetooth GPRS Web Connection
                    Centrafuse Beta2 / MapMonkey

Comment

I agree that car manufacturers will use these drives. Especially when you consider the cost of having a factory sat nav/mp3 system installed. They need to have a reliable and completely robust solution. But I think that from an enthusiasts point of view, such as all of us on this forum, they will prove too expensive and an overkill for our needs.
                      Yeah, I've had no problems using a normal 3.5" Western Digital, so unless something happened to it that I assumed to be shock-related or something like that, I don't think I'd ever make the switch... Even if it were no more than a normal hard drive.
                      Zen Fat Loss

Comment

I'd like to compare bad sectors on each drive over a few years....then tell me it's not needed....lol

but we all know that will never happen
                        Jan Bennett

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

the MKIV gti has very spongy suspension....but like the Z, if you buy it thinking that the suspension is too harsh, you are looking in the wrong areas....the GTi is a SPORTY car, the Z is a SPORTS car....you don't get those names with suspension like an old caddy....they are sporty for a reason...

I have a stage 2 coil-over set-up from KW suspension on my GTi....it's harsh, that's for sure....but nothing compared to the stock spongy syspension that came stock
                          Jan Bennett

Comment

Working...
                          X