Wiring gone bad !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring gone bad !

I've been into the carpc's for a while and typically I do EVERYTHING myself. I got a little lazy when I bought a new 4ch AMP for my new truck and decided to have the professionals install it. At the same time I asked them to install wires for a second "amp", ground,hot and switched this would be to power the pc. After 740.00 I was on my way, 500 for amp and 240 for labor. At the time I thought it was a lot for labor but I didn't bother to argue.

At home I connected my PC and she fired up, all was well. A few weeks later a rear speaker stopped working. I had the car place take a look at it and they said a wire fell off the speaker and they fixed it, free of charge. A day or two later my passenger side window stopped cranking so I took it back and they said a wire wrapped around my window crank and they fixed it free of charge.

So a few more weeks pass and things seem to be fine. One night I got into my truck and after turning the ignition I smelled smoke and saw smoke comming from under my dash ! Shortly thereafter my pc stopped working.

Frustrated I planned to open everything up and take a look at this "professional" wiring job. To my horror, I found that the power wires to my PC we're not how I asked them to be wired, further more there was no fuse !!!! Taking the wirring job apart I found that the wire had cooked itself and almost caught fire, in fact there were burn marks on my carpet. There were splices on every wire they ran, almost like they didn't measure proper lengths and patched up thier mistakes. The AMP cable was way to long and hanging out of the back of my truck and the AMP cover was scratched to hell because of its placement under my seat.

After spending most of a saturday afternoon re-wirring everything, hiding wires and adding fuse's my job is finished. I feel like I should tell them about this aweful job but do you even think its worth it ?
    Progress [I will seriously never be done!]
    Via EPIA MII
    512MB RAM
    OEM GPS (embedded)
    nLite WinXP pro on
    1GB Extreme III CF card
    Carnetix 1260 startup/ DC-DC regulator
    Software: Still, re-Writing my existing front end in .Net

Originally posted by IntellaWorks
    I've been into the carpc's for a while and typically I do EVERYTHING myself. I got a little lazy when I bought a new 4ch AMP for my new truck and decided to have the professionals install it. At the same time I asked them to install wires for a second "amp", ground,hot and switched this would be to power the pc. After 740.00 I was on my way, 500 for amp and 240 for labor. At the time I thought it was a lot for labor but I didn't bother to argue.

At home I connected my PC and she fired up, all was well. A few weeks later a rear speaker stopped working. I had the car place take a look at it and they said a wire fell off the speaker and they fixed it, free of charge. A day or two later my passenger side window stopped cranking so I took it back and they said a wire wrapped around my window crank and they fixed it free of charge.

So a few more weeks pass and things seem to be fine. One night I got into my truck and after turning the ignition I smelled smoke and saw smoke comming from under my dash ! Shortly thereafter my pc stopped working.

Frustrated I planned to open everything up and take a look at this "professional" wiring job. To my horror, I found that the power wires to my PC we're not how I asked them to be wired, further more there was no fuse !!!! Taking the wirring job apart I found that the wire had cooked itself and almost caught fire, in fact there were burn marks on my carpet. There were splices on every wire they ran, almost like they didn't measure proper lengths and patched up thier mistakes. The AMP cable was way to long and hanging out of the back of my truck and the AMP cover was scratched to hell because of its placement under my seat.

After spending most of a saturday afternoon re-wirring everything, hiding wires and adding fuse's my job is finished. I feel like I should tell them about this aweful job but do you even think its worth it ?
    Hell yeah! Ask about the warranty on their work first, though!! If the warranty on their work is decent, maybe you can get a refund...... Oops, you re-wired it.... lack of proof that they can't wire right.... Well, I guess you could just call 'em up and cuss them.... Might make you feel better! Sounds like enuff to make ya sick!

Comment

Local shop? Or big name? BestBuy or Circuit City?

If it's one of the larger ones, I'd definitely bring that to their attention. They should definitely take care of you..the smaller ones might not care..

Comment

did you pay on a cc? maybe you should charge back the labor???
        1990 Jeep Cherokee
        2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
        2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

Its a smaller shop they do all the local kids cars. Thing I'm worried about is that some of these poor kids are driving around in time bombs ! I consider myself lucky.

I'm frustrated because I feel like I have to do everything, I can't even catch a break on some simple wiring that I overpaid for !!!! I even drew diagrams for these guys.

I guess the moral of the story here is to always check the wirring or talk with the guy who's actually working on your car. If they would make you nervous by just holding your cell phone then chances are they might not be that good at electrical work.
          Via EPIA MII
          512MB RAM
          OEM GPS (embedded)
          nLite WinXP pro on
          1GB Extreme III CF card

Comment

maybe you should go and have a quite word with the manager / owner of the shop. It's too late since you have fixed their mess, but the shop should be told of it's sub par workmanship.
            Never let the truth get in the way of a good story

Comment

yeah talk to the owner. often times its not his fault and hell give you a refund or something.

Comment

Originally posted by WebDog
                did you pay on a cc? maybe you should charge back the labor???
                Intellaworks rewired it before making the complaint, so he has no PROOF that the shop screwed up. Has to have proof that his wiring was screwed up in order to get his labor money back!!!

Intellaworks, did you take pictures of the bad workmanship? That might consistute proof for a court proceeding if the shop doesn't want to pay back the labor..... Just a thought!

Comment

Unfortunitly, I didn't take pictures. I almost should have just to show you guys.
                  Via EPIA MII
                  512MB RAM
                  OEM GPS (embedded)
                  nLite WinXP pro on
                  1GB Extreme III CF card

Comment

well i guess you were acting with frustration and you weren't really thinking straight. I'd be kinda ****ed if i overpaid for a ****ty job. i guess they did it on purpose just to **** you off since you dictated to them what to do lol
                    2008 Civic... Sound system... then carputer install...
                    WORK IN PROGRESS

If you look at my avatar closely, you can see a chick with two big knockers....

Comment

yeah, definatly talk to the store manager/owner. But don't go in ****ed off, if you do, you probably won't be taken as seriously.
                      2007 Honda Fit Sport 1.5L SOHC-VTEC

Comment

What about the Burn marks on the carpet?!!! That some pretty good proof if you ask me.
                        I'mmmmmm a n00b.... feel free to make fun

Comment

man it seems like I hear this kind of thing happening every day. Ive been in the same boat a number of times, including a couple situations that nearly cost me my life. proof or not, usually the only remedy that is offered to you is a "guarantee" on the work, meaning, they will fix it or redo part of it.

but the guarantee is a catch 22..

you've seen the quality of their work. do you really want them to do even MORE work on your car?

learn how to do it yourself -- its the only way to get it done right.

Comment

Originally posted by markopolo311
                            What about the Burn marks on the carpet?!!! That some pretty good proof if you ask me.
                            @Markopolo311: Yeah, but burn marks might have been caused by OTHER electronic equipment as well. "We" know what caused it, but "they" don't. They also won't assume that just because the customer is there complaining about their wiring problem, that the burn marks are a result of their sloppyness.

Originally posted by stapan
                            you've seen the quality of their work. do you really want them to do even MORE work on your car?

learn how to do it yourself -- its the only way to get it done right.
                            @Stapan: Totally agree with you.

Comment

go away from them. dont even bother to go argue... whatever if you are ****ed off some day call the owner and tell him what a crap his shop is... other than that dont waste time
                              Roy

2005 Range Rover 4.4
                              Any ideas for putting a PC in this? :)

Comment

Working...
                              X