DC/DC power supply in Australia??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC/DC power supply in Australia??

anyone know where i can get a DC/DC power supply in Australia at a reasonable price?

also i saw a set up with a remote controller turn on, dont know if it was infared or radio but it looked pretty cool, how do other people turn on their units?

thanks kardas
    http://austmp3car.tk

I'll sell ya a Sproggy 2.7.3
    I haven't actually made it yet, but it will be good...
    how soon do you need it, I should be done within the next 6months..

Comment

Six months cool skinny !!! by that time i guess he wont even need it !

Comment

yeah, well, I really don't have the time at the moment...

Comment

yeah 6 months is a bit long, can someone explain to me what power supply i need, i have a pentium 2 500mhz computer and i want to run it straight from the battery, is this the best way or would it be better to just use my atx power supply and an inverter.
          on that note anyone know where to get an inverter at a good price in australia?

thanks kardas

Comment

Hey kardas frankly i would say dont go for the inverter buddy its you car why do you wanna play with AC power in the car which is completly made of metal ... please i dont suggest it. one wrong move and you could be fried in there!

Look out on the net for some good DC_DC PSU trust me there are plenty!

HAve fun
            MAstero

Comment

the reason i ask is because i saw these and want to know if they would work with a dc/dc power supply

Comment

Originally posted by kardas:
                <STRONG>better to just use my atx power supply and an inverter.

thanks kardas</STRONG>
                check my website, the inverter/PSU works a treat for my setup, and saves quite a few headaches. Trying to get parts easily for a homebrew PSU was alot of trubble and I didnt have the time to waste on that, I wanted to focus efforts on the stereo install/software build, etc.....

remove the ATX PSU's input filter circuit (caps & coils) to stop buzzing and noise generated by running off the inverter an you should be sweet.... (check that on my website too!)

for inverters, try jaycar.... good range and price. I am running my Duron 800Mhz off a nice little 140W inverter from jaycar, dont be fooled into gettting a big 300W inverter, you wont need it..... 100W-180W will suffice in your case no probs....

yes I know guys DC/DC is more efficient... but not always the cheapest/less painful path.!
                Project - GAME OVER :(

Comment

Originally posted by kardas:
                  <STRONG>yeah 6 months is a bit long, can someone explain to me what power supply i need, i have a pentium 2 500mhz computer and i want to run it straight from the battery, is this the best way or would it be better to just use my atx power supply and an inverter.

thanks kardas</STRONG>
                  how soon do you need it then??
                  I might be able to have it done within a month, but no promises....

Comment

hey skinny one month from six hmmm not bad... !

well i can give one in four days ! after receipt of payment

Mastero!

Comment

Hey kardas if your seriously interested checkout my website!

Mastero

Comment

Mastero i dont think the guy is going to pay AU$220 for a DC power supply ... its a lot of money here!
                        Kardas check out the PassLabs idea of modifing the ATX supply... If you are good with electronics give that a try but if not then forget about it.
                        Fosgate

System Comp V3 - In progress.
                        Low power MB with C7 CPU, DC-DC PSU, car ECU link, USB TV, GPS, 7" TFT, Wireless, Voice.

Comment

no im not great with electronicals, but there is no way im going to pay $220 for a power supply. know anywhere i can buy a dc/dc power supply in australia, or anyone who could modify an atx?

thanks kardas

Comment

Well first of all i would be werry about getting a DC supply of Skinny...
                            Even if he sells it for as cheap as $50.
                            Either you will end up buring your carPc or making lot of smoke at the end...
                            But looking at the part list of the sproggy style power supply (or even the one i designed) its going to cost anyone in Australia around $120 just for the parts...
                            So basicly you only have few options.
                            1) Go with inverter... Which i'll never suggest
                            2) Try building PS yourself which as you said you wont be able to do...
                            3) Or get some one to modify normal ATX to accept DC 12V which is not an easy process and not many people will be willing to do.

[ 11-22-2001: Message edited by: Fosgate ]
                            Fosgate

System Comp V3 - In progress.
                            Low power MB with C7 CPU, DC-DC PSU, car ECU link, USB TV, GPS, 7" TFT, Wireless, Voice.

Comment

im in the same boat really, can't get any in aust, and importing cost a packet (fukn aust dollar is worth like a grain of sand and a dog turd in the US). I'm more than likely gona bite the bullet and pay the money to get one from the US tho.

My install is going into a 62 mini (restoring it now) , so size is a problem. I cant afford the extra space a full psu and inverter will take.

Comment

Working...
                              X