Making a internal drive external

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making a internal drive external

Okay, I am very new at computers, I love them, but am not hip on the lingo yet. I am going to attempt to install a DVD-Rom drive (Pioneer slot load to be exact) somewhere close to my dash while the casing of the cpu is in the trunk. My question was if I am going to run into any problems doing this. One of the problems that come to mind is that I will be losing a bit of voltage and or signal since it has to travel a long distance (about 10-12feet). One other question, have ya'll had luck with the Pioneers? I am mainly concerned about it skipping whenever I hit bumps. Any and all info is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    I have a 2001 Prelude. bone stock (gimme a break, it is brand new)
    I am looking to start the install very soon.

Your best bet would be to get an Internal to external case. They convert the IDE signal to USB or Firewire. Since it is a DVD drive I am not sure how Firewire would hold up, 24 MB/sec should be good enough but may not be. Here is an idea of what to look for. External case
    http://www.mp3car.com/usersites/Maveric/ M.A.V.I.C. System
    Asus MB, PII 266, 192 MB Ram, 6.8" LCD, 6 Disk CD-ROM, 21 Gig HD, All-in-Wonder Video w/ TV Tuner, Irman, Windows ME, Winamp, Cobra III -- All in a custom acrylic case.

http://www.mp3car.com/usersites/listings/ MP3car Listings - Please add to it! :)

Comment

Hey... Love your nickname, "Jenny"

~m

[ 12-06-2001: Message edited by: dos4who? ]
      PII 266, 512 MB RAM, 10 Gig, 36x CD-ROM, 16x DVD, DeLorme GPS, 5.6" LCD Screen, Dschmidt power controller, Keypower ATX DC-DC Supply, PowerAmp Macro controller, Dauphin mini-Kbd.
      Sony Head Unit, Sony Unilink input selector, rear deck Kenwood 6x9's, stock door spkrs... All in my '96 Civic, of course :}
      BC ROCKS!!!

Comment

Well, the player Obscured in my signature has an external IDE interface I made with a Centronix SCSI cable. It works well, even though I'm stretching the limits of IDE cable length.

You're not going to make it 10-12 feet with IDE. USB should do fine, as it has a longer cable limit then even firewire. It should have the bandwidth you need, too. Firewire can definitely handle the bandwidth, but I believe you may be pushing the cable length limit, and the cable itself may hit you hard in the wallet.
        SnackPack
        First Player: Obscured
        Second Try: No Web Page Yet, using MSI-6215

Comment

FYI, Firewire limit is 15 feet, unless you have repeaters - in which case you can go up to 236.
          Jonathan
          JZ CarPC - 1998 Volvo C70
          Shuttle SV-24 Celery 400Mhz 128MB SDRAM 60GB HD DVD, 12.1" VGA TFT LCD, Sproggy/Mastero DC-DC ATX PSU, Mucha ATX shutdown controller, Co-Pilot GPS

Comment

Or you could try and find yourself a SCSI DVD drive, and then you would have no problems with distance..

Comment

I don't belive USB can do DVD SnackPack. At less than 1MB a second there won't be enough bandwith. USB 2.0 may be able to handle it though.
              Asus MB, PII 266, 192 MB Ram, 6.8" LCD, 6 Disk CD-ROM, 21 Gig HD, All-in-Wonder Video w/ TV Tuner, Irman, Windows ME, Winamp, Cobra III -- All in a custom acrylic case.

http://www.mp3car.com/usersites/listings/ MP3car Listings - Please add to it! :)

Comment

thanks everyone...

Skinnyboy, your idea sounds the most appealing to me so far, but I was wondering if I need whats called a SCSI expander, or can it run that many feet by itself? also, can you get a SCSI connection on one of the ports on the back of the computer, or do you have to run the ribbon of wires from the inside of the housing? thanks a bunch.
                I have a 2001 Prelude. bone stock (gimme a break, it is brand new)
                I am looking to start the install very soon.

Comment

You can get a SCSI card which has an external port. However, SCSI cables are also very expensive. You may be paying at least 75 bucks for 10-12 of cable. It's thick cable, too. Not very ideal for hiding away in a car.

SnackPack
                  SnackPack
                  First Player: Obscured
                  Second Try: No Web Page Yet, using MSI-6215

Comment

Thats why you extend it yourself with some Cat-5 STP
                    Clarion 200watt head unit w/ Aux in.
                    Kicker 800watt 4 channel amp
                    In a 96 Grand Prix SE.

Comment

Yay, someone listened to me..
                      oops, I am not supposed to smile like that anymore..
                      but can you actually buy SCSI DVD drives??

Comment

Originally posted by SkinnyBoy:
                        <STRONG>
                        but can you actually buy SCSI DVD drives??</STRONG>
                        You can, but they are kinda expensive. The ones I could find were $250-$500 US. Search on Google and you will find some. Be sure to search for DVD-ROM drives, as most of them are DVD-RAM drives.

Comment

Check PriceWatch, SCSI DVD drives starting at $80, SCSI slot load DVD starting at $94. However, given the price of the SCSI controller and the SCSI cable, you might be better off with USB 2.0 or Firewire.

Comment

Working...
                          X