Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lowest price for CompFlash/SmartMed to IDE adapter?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowest price for CompFlash/SmartMed to IDE adapter?

Anyone know where to get the lowest price on Compact Flash to IDE or Smart Media to IDE adapters? Preferably with jumpers to switch between Master and Slave?
    Free entrance to heaven? WOW! I DUN BELIEVE! JC!

I got a few compact flash to IDE adapters at $20ea.

Comment

The best price I found was also $20 from ACS in Florida:
      http://www.acscontrol.com/Pages/Prod...CF_Adapter.htm

Since CompactFlash is pin-compatible with IDE there is not much to it (which is why I can't believe people are charging $100 an up for this thing!) Anyway, there is a master/slave jumper, but they reccomend that you install it as the only device on the channel.

Finally, there is a 100,000 write cycle limit on CompactFlash which sounds like a lot, but really isn't, so you'll probably want to mount/use it in a read-only mode. There is a good article this and using CompactFlash as a Solid State Device (SSD) in general at:
      http://www.dansdata.com/cfide.htm

Merry Christmas

Morgan

Comment

Yeah, thats why I wanted to run both master and slave... Master as a read-only for the OS and config, and the Slave as the temp directory and program installs. All data should be on a USB CDRom.

Comment

If you are going to use the ComapactFlash as the master on the first (primary) channel, you are going to want to put your mass stoarge/temp space as either the master or slave on the other (secondary) channel (and nothing as a slave on the primary channel). Master/slave describes the position on the channel and primary/seconday describe different channels themself (on a standard two-channel IDE controller).

Comment

Okay... thanks for the offer Joe, but I found another place that has 17$ for type1 and 25$ for type 1 and 2... This place also has IDE readers for Smart Media cards too! unfortunately they are 98$ each! too bad since SM cards are cheaper...

Comment

Are you going to use this to run your operating system, I never thought of that, can you do windows 98 on something like that?
              --------
              /
              /OMMY D

Comment

Yup! Thats why I posted that question about the smallest win98se install at the software section

Comment

Well my windows folder is 59mb, I have Copilot, Winamp,MS Streets and Trips, and WinDVD, you could probably slim it down with Win Lite, I think thats what it's called.
                  I would really like to see this work, please keep us updated I would like to do the same to mine.
                  --------
                  /
                  /OMMY D

Comment

So when you use MS Street and Trips you have to use a huge storage device... like a IBM 1gb microdrive... :-( so I'm not sure what to do about that.

Comment

Yes You will probably need to get somehing in the 1gb size, because I checked both my folders and under programs the MS Streets and Trips file is like 700mb because I chose to load all the data for the maps, instead of using the Cd, and the CoPilot folder is also about 700mb because I loaded both map cd's when I installed, I guess you could maybe just run windows from the Cf card?
                      anf use the HD for programs, but then I guess your speed is not there,
                      I am having a problem with windows booting.
                      Lately i have to restart the computer because it has been in the teens around here, then it starts up fine, I was thinking of installing some kind of pre-heater with a time delay so it heats up the hard drive for about a minute before the computer starts.
                      --------
                      /
                      /OMMY D

Comment

Here is a question, can you make Windows 95/98/ME read only? The CF card will wear out if you write to it all the time, so I'm thinking we need to have Windows in some sort of "Read Only" Mount like Linux. Can this be done?

Bj
                        BjBlaster! Car MP3 & Carputer!
                        bjblaster.com

"The solution to one problem is only the beginning of another"

Comment

I was wondering about that too... Swap file you have to be off-disk, so would the temp directory. I'm also wondering if there is a way to move the booting and shut down logs to a different location. But I'm sure that if you keep to winamp and have lots of ram, there would be very little writing.

Comment

um i dont think u can have a read only partition for windows like linux but ive got a few programs to make a ram drive, and i know how u can change the address of temporary files and cookies to it. (keep fbi off ya back ahha)]

u might beable to make the cf card read only if it has some setting, i dunno

will the CF card really wear out?

i read the review at dansdata and it sayd it will, but ive read up on ppl on this forum http://www.linux-hacker.net/cgi-bin/.../UltraBoard.pl and they got windows installs on flash CF but i think its a built in flash memory not removable (gateway touchpad)

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: PaulzY ]

Comment

Well my 64MB CF and IDE adapter arrived just then Let's see what it can do...... 3 days from Sydney to 'ere! Magic
                              BjBlaster! Car MP3 & Carputer!
                              bjblaster.com

"The solution to one problem is only the beginning of another"

Comment

Working...
                              X