Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does everyone handle their music updates from home to car?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does everyone handle their music updates from home to car?

It seems like something where there really is no best way. I like to keep my music organized into main folders "A",
    "B", "C", etc. And "Full Albums" etc. Now, each month or so, I end up with a few hundred more mp3s or so on my pc in one main folder. In order to transfer these songs to my car I Face some challenges.

1. If I put them in the respective folders A, B, C etc. then try to move the whole folder to my car, I end up overwriting thousands of songs.
    2. If I keep the download folder as my newest mp3s and copy that to my car, I lose the nice order of tings.
    3. Doing as described in number 2 and then organizing them to the respective folders after they are on the carpc would work, but would force me to leave my home pc unorganized.

I face the same questions when I am backing up my music as well. What is the better way?
    Its not the cards you're dealt, its how you play the hand!

Originally posted by ryuandwings
    Where can I get a roll of tin foil?
    I been looking for that all over the net, but I can't find it.
    Please help.

I'm using Frodoplayer. I wrote an app which allows you to edit your song database and playlists on another computer. Then just copy the new songs and the updated database/lists back to your carputer, restart, and you're good to go.

The app is on here somewhere... Main software forum - search for threads started with my name and you'll come across it.
    http://www.jeepmp3.com/
    CarPC Stolen. Starting over.
    Ne1 recognize the avatar?

Comment

All new music I get is put into a folder called "To Be Transfered." Every week or so (depending on how often my music collection expands) I'll put the contents of this folder on my Nomad Zen Xtra and transfer it on the the car pc. After this is done I move the music on my main computer to their respective folders (organized by genre and artist).

Comment

everything i rip or download (usually stuff that my friend sends me of his band, not kazaa) goes into a "to be filed folder" that folder get copied to the network, and i go in my car and download the files to my car, and on my laptop.

if that just doesnt happen, or there is only one or 2 files, ill throw em on my thumbdrive and put em on my hd in the car.

i know when i did my first install of my music, i grabbed a patch cable and a crossover converter (http://www.modasylum.com/guides.php?guide=26 , extremely usefull) and sit with my laptop in the car downloading stuff

takes about a minute a gig.
        1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 in Evergreen Pearl Metallic, Lifted, Locked, and Armored. CarPc in custom console with molded touchscreen.
        Pictures
        Photobucket is being updated, if a picture i posted no longer works, please PM me.

Comment

I use EZSync...
          http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=100

when I start my car, my computer finds my access point at the house, the app recognizes the connection and then searches the LAN for the other computer running the app... it then compares two folders and starts transfering files, it manages to pull down a few songs every time I leave the house... coming home the wifi doesn't always get on the home wifi quickly, so it rarely gets any songs unless I sit in the car for a few minutes... I guess I could extend my shutdown times and more files would be transfered...

this app has the ability to contiuously update the frodoplayere database (if you are using this) - but I am not too sure how well it works...
          EPIA SP13000, 512 DDR400, Seagate 300GB, Belkin PCI 802.11g w/external antenna, Holux GM-210 GPS, XM Direct w/ serial, Dlink FM, Opus 120 p\s, Rockford P4004 amp, Xenarc 7" VGA touchscreen custom mounted in double din spot -- see pics and write up here!!

Comment

I second ezsync It works great Does exactly what you want.

Comment

So does EZsync allow you to specify which folders are synced and do all subfolders sinc as well. For instance if I have the exact same folder set on my Car as in my house, "MP3s" is the root folder and inside that are "a", "b", "c" etc. IF I specify with EZSyn that I wanna sync Mp3s(house) to MP3s(car), will it update only new songs in folders "a", "b", etc? Thanks guyus

Please help.

Comment

yeah, you pretty much got the idea.... it creates an exact duplicate... OR it can just get the new files... so you can delete the files from your home PC after you are sure they have synced... but I keep my car and home in sync, it works really well... it also supports bidirectional sync so if you are in the habit of adding music from other sources you'll also get a copy on the home PC...
                EPIA SP13000, 512 DDR400, Seagate 300GB, Belkin PCI 802.11g w/external antenna, Holux GM-210 GPS, XM Direct w/ serial, Dlink FM, Opus 120 p\s, Rockford P4004 amp, Xenarc 7" VGA touchscreen custom mounted in double din spot -- see pics and write up here!!

Comment

Awesome, good info. I'll try it tomorrow.

Please help.

Comment

I didn't read all the replies but due to hopefully having several entertainment systems setup I plan on using a USB 200+gb HDD to store music/movies. Or potentially just play from an MP3 player not really sure.

Mp3 player would be nice since you could take it with you, but external certainly has the size benefit.
                    James Radcliffe
                    [email protected]

Planning (Phase I)
                    |||||++++++| 40% Making Final Pre-Purchase Plans
                    Car Stereo (Phase II)
                    |||||||||++| 80% - Building box, getting ready to wire
                    Carputer (Phase III)
                    ||+++++++++| 10% Desiging CarPC case

Comment

Has anyone tried using an Ipod as a storage medium?
                      Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
                      Kenwood X790 x/ iP500 Ipod Interface
                      Elemental Designs 13Kv.2 D2
                      CDT ES-620 (omg yayay!!!1)
                      NINe.2X, NINe.2

Comment

I use, and like Karens Replicator
                        http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp
                        AtmosUSA.biz, E-Cig Mods
                        "A great smoking alternative"

Comment

I don't have a carputer yet, let alone a car.

I intend to use Synk(pretty sure that's what its called) for the mac platform.

Comment

Working...
                          X