Dual Exhausts...fabrication?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Exhausts...fabrication?

Ever see those people with ricer bod kits that on the back bumper has two cutouts for the exhaust, prolly so they only need to make one body kit for either left or right sided exhausts.

i think it looks ****en gay/ugly/moronic to have a body kit with an empty exhaust cutout/hole.

Not that I have a body kit, i just want dual exhaust for looks/performance etc.

What is involved in removing my stock muffler/pipe and connecting a Y pipe to the cat. converter and then throwing on two (not neccesarrily racing mufflers, anyone would work) mufflers out the back.

This I think would be better for any car seeing as how the engine now has half the resistance, AND even better because (as most stock cars) my muffled does like 2 ninety degree turns from the cat. converter to muffler. And adding this Y with dual mufflers would be a straight shot from cat. converter to the back of the car....

anyone do this?
    (All done)
    iPad Mini 128GB, RF 600.5 amp, JL12W0V2, 8 Infinity Components

If u half it, it could cause problems with egr. Too low of pressure and it can cause problems, but since u are going after cat and not making a real dual exhaust it shouldnt be a problem. But anyways, should be ez, after the Y pipe u just need to route the pipes so that it wont hit the travel of the back axle. Fab up some hangers, and that should be it. Might mess u up when u go to get your car smogged so i would check that out.
    Core duo
    1tb harddrive
    256 ddr
    8 lilliput
    bu-353

still installing...

Comment

If you have an inline engine the only real benefit is looks. Its heavier and wont flow any better.
      Is this where the witty comment goes?
      97 Black pearl Mazda Miata MX-5 Carpc V2? maybee..

Comment

Originally posted by Stealth97
        If you have an inline engine the only real benefit is looks. Its heavier and wont flow any better.
        Ditto. I'd do a good single setup, that would run down the passenger's side
        PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
        GammaControl v2.4
        SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

look into the dual tip mufflers that are on the miata. i think it's dealer alternative that makes them. this would be your best solution if you want the dual tip look
          New System in progress:
          M10k
          Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
          Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
          Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
          Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
          Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
          My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

Originally posted by scott_fx
            look into the dual tip mufflers that are on the miata. i think it's dealer alternative that makes them. this would be your best solution if you want the dual tip look
            Dealer Alternative= FM. well over $500. Screw them.

Look into Racing beat, or Borla if youre going to go that route.
            Is this where the witty comment goes?
            97 Black pearl Mazda Miata MX-5 Carpc V2? maybee..

Comment

I did what you want to do and got a muffler with dual outlets then had twin tips on each pipe it looks great and sounds better and is a bit faster compared to the stock muffler that thing was HUGE and heavy.
              CarPC Status:
              GPS: 99%
              Hardware: 99%
              Software: 92%
              Case Install: 99.9%
              Dash Install: 100%
              Car Install: 72%

Comment

Originally posted by sdashiki
                Ever see those people with ricer bod kits that on the back bumper has two cutouts for the exhaust, prolly so they only need to make one body kit for either left or right sided exhausts.

i think it looks ****en gay/ugly/moronic to have a body kit with an empty exhaust cutout/hole.

Not that I have a body kit, i just want dual exhaust for looks/performance etc.

What is involved in removing my stock muffler/pipe and connecting a Y pipe to the cat. converter and then throwing on two (not neccesarrily racing mufflers, anyone would work) mufflers out the back.

This I think would be better for any car seeing as how the engine now has half the resistance, AND even better because (as most stock cars) my muffled does like 2 ninety degree turns from the cat. converter to muffler. And adding this Y with dual mufflers would be a straight shot from cat. converter to the back of the car....

anyone do this?
                it's funny how you say that the body kits are ricey, when dual exhaust on a matrix will be the same.

i'd laugh if i saw pics of this. not only will it look tacky, i highly doubt it will increase performance by much.

Comment

yeah, spending the extra time and money to do a custom pseudo-dual-exhaust setup when you'd get equal or better performance out of a normal performance exhaust system, for less money... smells like rice to me.
                  But don't take it from me! here's a quote from a real, live newbie:
                  Originally posted by Viscouse
                  I am learning buttloads just by searching on this forum. I've learned 2 big things so far: 1-it's been done before, and 2-if it hasn't, there is a way to do it.
                  eegeek.net

Comment

Careful, too low resistance will kill your lo-end torque and ricer Civics will beat you off the start. I had that problem, had to compensate for less restriction by altering the timing/fuel curves cuz right after I put the exhaust it actually became *slower*. I have an inline 4 cylinder, DOHC, two and a quarter piping throughout, but stock headers.
                    00 Saturn SL2, boosted @ 8 psi - CarDomain
                    Newest install - my quickest ever
                    My 2nd carputer - b4 I broke the touchscreen
                    My very first carputer - voted the most ghetto

Comment

just go get a exhaust tip and mount that to the other side. Come on, its a ricer. Dual exhaust on a ricer....instead of 100hp, what now 101hp.
                      Ricer rule #1 Vinyl adds horsepower!

Now if you install a nice v8 into that ride, you will have a reason to have dual exhaust.
                      The MC of Florida Car PC Meets
                      CAR:2001 Ford Crown Victoria
                      PC: Acer EEE 900HA with Win7 with CF 2.0.
                      Memory:1G
                      Drives:160gig
                      WI-FI:Cingular
                      GPS:IG2k9
                      Screen:Xenarc 700TSV
                      The Florida Meets Thread

Comment

Just so you guys are all aware... inline motors have dual exhausts...

my BMW 525i (inline 6) has two header collectors each flowing 3 cylinders. Stock was dual 1.75" pipes but I had a B&B Triflow cat-back from an M5 mated to my headers, with magnaflow hi flow cats welded in. new configuration is 2.5" dual pipes to accomodate for extra flow of my supercharger.

That x-pipe area is just a collector for my O2 sensor... the system, as you can see, is true dual exhaust.

Comment

<---- 4 cylinder corrolla engine 2003 (not celica GTS engine)

So to get a performance boost I gotta go from the output of the engine exhaust to TWO cats and mufflers?

The increase in airflow from behind the cat by the way I described, wont add performance?

rice = Civics not my car....you can call any Jap car a ricer, but gimme a break my Matrix aint about being a friggen little rich kid with $10k under the hood.
                          (All done)

Comment

Originally posted by sdashiki
                            <---- 4 cylinder corrolla engine 2003 (not celica GTS engine)

So to get a performance boost I gotta go from the output of the engine exhaust to TWO cats and mufflers?

The increase in airflow from behind the cat by the way I described, wont add performance?

rice = Civics not my car....you can call any Jap car a ricer, but gimme a break my Matrix aint about being a friggen little rich kid with $10k under the hood.
                            ricer = you. for having the idea of getting dual exhaust on your matrix.

lets put it this way, having dual exhaust on your 100hp motor won't get you any performance gain, if any it'll be minimal. most likely, like others said, it'll create an obnoxiously loud fart, and decreased torque in lower rpms.

Comment

Its a 130HP motor.

So do some research and stfu, yer 7 posts in and already being a dick. Nice one.

Answer the ****en question, or offer something pertinent, dont ***** with nothing to say.

<---- went to lunch for some rice and veggies
                              (All done)

Comment

Working...
                              X