Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone use the software "TimeTrax" for XM?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone use the software "TimeTrax" for XM?

Just wondered if anyone uses / has used the software TimeTrax to record / rip songs / shows to MP3's from XMD1000.

How did you like it? Is it worth the $40?

Is there similar software out there for cheaper?
    Current Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Nitro

Second Vehicle: Sold it :( 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab

First Vehicle: 2003 Ford Ranger

I intend to use it when my PC gets installed. As far as I know, it is the only software of its kind and as a result, XM stopped producing the XM PCR (I believe)
    2005 Black Chevy Impala
    Current Status: Installed in Vehicle/Testing 75%

Comment

Originally posted by tbird2340
      Just wondered if anyone uses / has used the software TimeTrax to record / rip songs / shows to MP3's from XMD1000.

How did you like it? Is it worth the $40?

Is there similar software out there for cheaper?
      I'm not a moderator here, but ----- JOKE, just kidding. I and probably half the folks throughout this community have gone through this at least a million times.

Its my understanding that the XMPCR was discontinued because there were several recorder software programs in development and the RIAA was pressuring XM Radio and its hardware suppliers. XM Radio was able to threaten most out of business, but TimeTrax stood their ground. Their only recourse was to discontinue the PCR. XM Direct was then reverse engineered by several private sources for much the same functionality and as a bonus the XM Commander worked the same way. I use a commander with both displays functional and switch between computer control and commander control.

The short version of the answer to your question is the top three stand alone programs were (I'll explain this distinction in a minute) :

TimeTrax
      PCR Commander
      XtremePCR

The first two have built in recorders, the third has extra listening functionality. The reason I said "were" is because XM Radio scared off the developers of the bottom two by threatening them. Therefore those two haven't progressed from beta in two to three years. They can be found on the web, but are becoming harder to find. Neither is touch screen friendly, (although XtremePCR is supposedly skinnable) I have both installed as external apps in RoadRunner and haven't used either in over a year.

The front-end developers here have done an outstanding job of integrating XM players into their systems. You wont find any that have recorders because of the piracy issues. If you just can't live without a recorder, I recommend Loop Recorder Pro which allows you to record anything that your computer plays thru its speaker. At one time I had a button programmed on my FM,XM, and TV skin that ran it - one touch recording. But if you want to have timed recording schedules, be able to record a whole song even after listerning to most of it already, and XM song tracking - PCR Commander is what you'll want to find.

I am by no stretch of the imagination an expert on anything, but Believe me in a carPC environment none of these is very useful. And as many others have, you'll find when you decide on a front-end, its player will be the one you use most often. The others I use every blue moon on my desktop - just because XtremPCR is pretty, and PCR Commander has a scheduling function that I can set and forget.

Good Luck

P.S. Other useful reading:
      http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/sear...1&pp=25&page=2
      http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...&postcount=142
      http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...07&postcount=1
      http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...49&postcount=1
      http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...25&postcount=8
      HARDWARE: Fujitsu Stylistic ST5111w/WiFi and dock, internal Hitachi 500G HD, external 1TB HD, Sierra Wireless Aircard 550, DVD-RW, BoomzBox HD radio, XM Commander, Delorme GPS, Saitek X-52 Pro joystick, BluSoleil Bluetooth, TPMS, FB, Elm327

Comment

RIAA puts their foot down and tripped the fat man again :-/

LONG LIVE COMMUNIST RUSSIA
        2008 Civic... Sound system... then carputer install...
        WORK IN PROGRESS

If you look at my avatar closely, you can see a chick with two big knockers....

Comment

Replay Radio

An even easier way to record XM is to use Replay Radio. Replay Radio 6.0 records XM Online, and also supports devices like the XM PCR or any of the TimeTrax compatible stuff.

It works great!

Comment

Originally posted by applian
            An even easier way to record XM is to use Replay Radio. Replay Radio 6.0 records XM Online, and also supports devices like the XM PCR or any of the TimeTrax compatible stuff.

It works great!
            XM Online is only broadcasted at 64kb/s max though..
            Current Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Nitro

Second Vehicle: Sold it :( 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab

First Vehicle: 2003 Ford Ranger

Comment

Working...
            X