Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what would your ideal dashboard be like?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what would your ideal dashboard be like?

so, its almost time to do my dash and I'd love to get some more ideas.

I have a totally blank slate. a totally bare firewall. all heater/ac vents and controls are thrown in the garbage, etc. all there is is the steering column, a brake pedal, a gas pedal, and the fuse block. thats it. (you should see the looks I got at the drive thru today)

so there is plenty of room for anything. I am making a whole dashboard entirely from scratch. what would your ideal dashboard be like, or what cool thing would it have?

As long as you've got a stripper pole at front center, I don't think you can go wrong.

Comment

One giant touchscreen.
      MII-12000 / Ampie / Lilliput 7" / BU-355 / PicoPSU / uSDC
      Currently: Enjoying the setup, but always contemplating my next move...

Comment

Originally posted by rsd212
        One giant touchscreen.
        ^^
        James Radcliffe
        [email protected]

Planning (Phase I)
        |||||++++++| 40% Making Final Pre-Purchase Plans
        Car Stereo (Phase II)
        |||||||||++| 80% - Building box, getting ready to wire
        Carputer (Phase III)
        ||+++++++++| 10% Desiging CarPC case

Comment

nice big touchscreen...10inch or so,
          built in hard-buttons like a ripped apart shuttle express or something,
          car controls/AC vents in places that YOU need them rather than where the manufacturer thinks they should be
          My install... check it out!

www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56599

Comment

wow...you are brave (and must be talented)

what kind of car is this?
            2004 F150 Lariat SuperCrew 4X4
            Lilliput 7" Mounted In Dash
            Via M10000
            256MB PC3200 DDR
            60gb Maxtor 7200RPM
            Sony 16X DVD Drive

Comment

One word, 'KITT'
              2Fast's Tumbleweed - Spag bol's Tumbleweed - 2Fast's site

Comment

if you're really going to go all the way...
                I think it would be cool to have a small touchscreen (7") in the dash permanently exposed, and a much bigger one (12", 15") that would flip up from the top of the dash. then you'd have one discreet one good for normal driving without being too distracting and/or getting you pulled over, and one big one for watching movies in a parking lot.

and how about some sort of fancy flip-out keyboard while you're at it, or at least a good slot to store one... and a little place to store a mouse as well.

and... of course, a fully molded-in slot-loading CDROM... and how about a molded-in character LCD for status display and stuff.

oh, and of course some ports. a few USB ports and some RCA and/or headphone jacks for audio and video input, so you could plug in a game console or something.

edit: well now that i've stopped brainstorming about all the wonderful possibilities... don't you hate it when you return from the fantasy world and realize you're at work?
                But don't take it from me! here's a quote from a real, live newbie:
                Originally posted by Viscouse
                I am learning buttloads just by searching on this forum. I've learned 2 big things so far: 1-it's been done before, and 2-if it hasn't, there is a way to do it.
                eegeek.net

Comment

Originally posted by evandude
                  and... of course, a fully molded-in slot-loading CDROM... and how about a molded-in character LCD for status display and stuff.
                  You forgot the molded NES cartridge slot. Now THAT would be pimp.
                  MII-12000 / Ampie / Lilliput 7" / BU-355 / PicoPSU / uSDC
                  Currently: Enjoying the setup, but always contemplating my next move...

Comment

You could build the whole pc into the dash, it would save bootspace and make things like USB and slot-load DVD easy, i'd go for an 8" screen as well.
                    2Fast's Tumbleweed - Spag bol's Tumbleweed - 2Fast's site

Comment

post pics... leather, suede, chrome... make it high class, no bling though cause that is crap not class
                      Roy

2005 Range Rover 4.4
                      Any ideas for putting a PC in this? :)

Comment

this (astin martin dash btw)
                        Attached Files
                        PC Components:
                        Lilliput; XPC/FLEX mobo; 1.7 ghz P4 Mobile;512 DDR; 160 gb HDD; opus 150; slot usb dvd-rw
                        My work log

Comment

you could make your own information center with VFDs/inverted color LCDs, and it could include music info....and gps info. The touchscreen should be off to the right
                          PC Components:
                          Lilliput; XPC/FLEX mobo; 1.7 ghz P4 Mobile;512 DDR; 160 gb HDD; opus 150; slot usb dvd-rw
                          My work log

Comment

Like an aircraft cockpit. Multiple screens with different functions grouped on them. An instrumentation screen, perhaps two, one with instrumentation and one with navigation, a screen that has all climate controls and automotive functions like windows, door locks, etc. Separate screen for entertainment system, video control, passenger entertainment, separate screen for PC functions including internet access, wardriving and such.

All displays would be similar in size and reconfigurable to display any of the monitor signals.

Like this.

Large version here
                            Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                            I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                            Want to:
                            -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                            -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

yeah, i havent seen anyone put radar in their car yet. that would be pretty nifty
                              PC Components:
                              My work log

Comment

Working...
                              X