Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my car gonna blow up?

I have a 2001 sunfire with an opus 150 powered system

When i got in the car this moring the and turned the key the car didn't do anything. I held the key forward, and eventually the engine made a sound like it turned over once then like two seconds later it happened again, then like 1.5 seconds later again. it became more frequent until my car started after like 10 seconds. The sound was kinda high pitched, but these were distinct sounds( they didn't blend into eachother, one happened then silence, then the other), they weren't like an engine turning over on a low battery (although i will get to that later) For the first 5 minutes there was a high pitched wine that raised in volume in direct proportion to hom much gas i applied. the same thing happened when i left work just now. But when i drove home my opus didn't turn on letting me know it dropped below the 11V threshold from the battery. When i got home and parked i turned the car off then restarted it and it started up fine.
    Also after 90 seconds of driving my theft system light came on and so did my Service light( not my check engine light). my theft system hasn't worked in 2 years, although i nkow the car is equipped.

My battery has had 4 deep discharges due to leaving lights on and such. I'd think this is a battery issue, but the car evenuallt starts as if it is getting more power. Is this the starter or the alternator.

Any adivce would save me time and money and Iwould love you for it
    My OLD carputer page
    My NEW carPC

Via Epia M10000, 512 PC2100, Opus 150, 8" lilly touch, 320 GB 7200 WD Caviar

Originally posted by Moneyfink

My battery has had 4 deep discharges due to leaving lights on and such.
    1 is bad. 2 the batt is no good anymore.

New battery

Then worry about your other probs if they dont get fix.

Never discharge your batts. Better off throwing them in a bonfire
    Core duo
    1tb harddrive
    256 ddr
    8 lilliput
    bu-353

still installing...

Comment

good to know, Its been 4 months since that has happened, and it isn't abnormally hot or cold in this area right now.
      Can a bad battery show symptoms of what im describing, should i recheck the connections to the battery?
      My OLD carputer page
      My NEW carPC

Comment

With all the computers inside our modern day cars, when they aren't seeing the proper voltages some very very strange things happen. Try a new battery. 99% thats what it is.

Comment

Checking the connections will not hurt. But most likely it is a dead Batt.
          TruckinMP3
          D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

well thats not bad, i could upgrade to a sweet battery that will allow me to run the car comp longer.

oh yeah and how bad is the opus 150 drain on when its off, i know the usb are still powered and such, i have an m1atx, thats doing nothing i might just swap the 150 out, b/c the m1-atx consumes no voltage when the car is off
            My OLD carputer page
            My NEW carPC

Comment

Get a deep cycle battery, from what this forum says, they are the best.
              Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
              Kenwood X790 x/ iP500 Ipod Interface
              Elemental Designs 13Kv.2 D2
              CDT ES-620 (omg yayay!!!1)
              NINe.2X, NINe.2

Comment

For an 01 sunfire can I do any better than this?
                http://autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker...%7ENONE%7C%7ES

or this
                http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...e=5005&ptset=A

Anybody else got a good recommendation for a place to get a good battery, btw i hate walmart
                My OLD carputer page
                My NEW carPC

Comment

If you want to carpu for long time with the car off then you want the max RC time. 140 is good. 110 ok...

And if you want to make it ez to start your car then you want the highest CCA 800 is pretty good.

I like Exides batts.
                  Optima are ok.
                  Just go with some crappy autozone one unless u are going to do a dual batt setup like me
                  Which you should if you are carputing
                  Core duo
                  1tb harddrive
                  256 ddr
                  8 lilliput
                  bu-353

still installing...

Comment

I'm right up there with you money, my 2000 sunfire battery needs replaced.
                    2000 Sunfire build 100%, or is it ever really 100%?

Comment

I could be way way off here but the high pitch sound that you mentioned, could it be a loose alternator belt?

Comment

Originally posted by mp3hombre
                        I could be way way off here but the high pitch sound that you mentioned, could it be a loose alternator belt?
                        I could be way off, too...but what I would think that it was probably the open door chime - not getting enough power. Sometimes when a battery is really low, some things try to work, such as door chimes, etc...and they just create a whine. Did the OP happen to have his door open while trying to crank the car? I know that I normally do when the battery is dead....just a suggestion?
                        2001 Isuzu Rodeo CarPC

Comment

MY chimes are run through my radio which i have removed

I went to auto zone and got the best battery they offered, Its a duralast gold
                          Things seem to be going better now
                          It starts first time now

B/c the opus was off i figured that the old battery wasn't putting out above 11 V, which of course isn't good

The whine is very quite, and i think its a grounding issue, or b/c my power and signal wires run right next to each other
                          My OLD carputer page
                          My NEW carPC

Comment

Get an Exide runs my system full throttle for 4 hours+ and still cranks no problems.

I wonder what the limit is on this thing.
                            2008 350z GT Installed since April 22nd 2011 - Worklog
                            2000 Protege Installed Since April 2, 2005 - Intel D201GLY|Fusion Brain|ODBPros ODBII|Engenius|GPS Rikaline|Powermate|Motorized Lilli
                            Sound Stage
                            Eclipse|MTX|Infinity

Comment

A sunfire will blow up for sure.
                              Well just a after frustration.
                              2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
                              89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
                              Y2K Accord Dell GX150
                              RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
                              EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Working...
                              X