Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MacVision GPS and mp3 player

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • MacVision GPS and mp3 player

    Has anyone else seen these?

    http://www.macvision.com/frontend/pr...07&co=10000307

    $400 CDN at Canadian Tire... carputer is becoming more and more expensive.. if I could just one of these, it would fix all of my issues

  • #2
    I haven't seen one (stuck in sunny so. cal.), but doesn't picking up something like this take away all the fun of hacking together your own custom solution?

    I don't know what "issues" you speak of, maybe this is in addition to an existing system? I can certainly say that the front end software for the mac does seem to be lacking. Everything I've found so far is either beta or abandon-ware... <sigh>

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by bdrezner
      I haven't seen one (stuck in sunny so. cal.), but doesn't picking up something like this take away all the fun of hacking together your own custom solution?

      I don't know what "issues" you speak of, maybe this is in addition to an existing system? I can certainly say that the front end software for the mac does seem to be lacking. Everything I've found so far is either beta or abandon-ware... <sigh>
      Problem solved.. use a PC..

      Just little things, the wiring, the power, the installation.. all fun and all, but I just want something that works...

      Comment


      • #4
        Ouch! I guess I should've seen that one coming. hehehe

        Your link seems pretty good to me then. I saw a pioneer GPS HU w/DVD player etc for ~$1500, so your MN2607 seems like a steal of a deal. I don't know what your budget is, but perhaps just picking out the parts you want and taking them to a local car audio shop and having them do all the install/wiring might be an option. You still can have a customized system without all the effort and labor. It'll definetly run you a whole lot more than $400cdn though, so just a thought! 8-)

        Comment


        • #5
          yeah, thats seems reasonable

          Just GPS DVD MP3 for $400 ... a steal

          Comment


          • #6
            Modding opportunities abound!

            This is possibly a HUGE opportunity for the modding community. While in reviews many users are having problems (mostly with the 1.0 firmware), the hardware this thing runs on is pretty standard.

            It's just an ARM chip with a Hitachi LCD and a 30GB laptop hard disk.

            If I had the money, I'd buy one right now to read the drive and see if we might be lucky enough that it ran Linux. If it does, I'd be the first to create a project to start developing on this.

            Took a look on the web for similar modding projects, but there's nothing running yet. Anyone have some time and a will for experimentation?

            Comment


            • #7
              You can check out Openembedded

              It allows for easy cross-platform compiling. I was introduced to it through the OpenSlug project. It is relatively easy to use, as long as you know how to use linux.

              The main problem I forsee, is using the current maps / map program and putting custom software on it. It could take time to write a compatibility layer (for lack of a better term) to get it to play nice with whatever else you decide to load onto it.

              A good intro to the hardware can be found at http://s88713911.onlinehome.us/macvision_gps/



              Just in case anyone was wondering. I got a web server with php, samba, icecast, local sound from usb sound card and a mass hard drive compatible mp3 player working on the slug.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by jmaclean
                This is possibly a HUGE opportunity for the modding community. While in reviews many users are having problems (mostly with the 1.0 firmware), the hardware this thing runs on is pretty standard.

                It's just an ARM chip with a Hitachi LCD and a 30GB laptop hard disk.

                If I had the money, I'd buy one right now to read the drive and see if we might be lucky enough that it ran Linux. If it does, I'd be the first to create a project to start developing on this.

                Took a look on the web for similar modding projects, but there's nothing running yet. Anyone have some time and a will for experimentation?
                Some software info:
                http://linuxdevices.com/cgi-bin/boar...age=0&Session=

                Someone might take a crack at hacking it here:
                http://www.linux-hacker.net/cgi-bin/...age=0&Session=

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Jagaer
                  You can check out Openembedded

                  It allows for easy cross-platform compiling. I was introduced to it through the OpenSlug project. It is relatively easy to use, as long as you know how to use linux.

                  The main problem I forsee, is using the current maps / map program and putting custom software on it. It could take time to write a compatibility layer (for lack of a better term) to get it to play nice with whatever else you decide to load onto it.

                  A good intro to the hardware can be found at http://s88713911.onlinehome.us/macvision_gps/



                  Just in case anyone was wondering. I got a web server with php, samba, icecast, local sound from usb sound card and a mass hard drive compatible mp3 player working on the slug.

                  Excellent. I'm actually a Linux/Solaris admin, so I've definitely got a bit of linux experience. They don't exactly teach cross-compiling for ARM in your RHCE though, so I've definitely got a steep learning curve ahead.

                  I'm running a pair of modded WRT-54G's, but I've heard about the potential of those NSLU2's. I've been looking for some kinda of embedded device to use as a car PC, and even considered things like Archos media players.

                  For the price, the bank for the buck on this unit is pretty impressive. I haven't yet bought one or seen the screen quality in person, but for the price, a 7" touchscreen that handles 800x480 would justify most of the cost of the entire unit for me.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by tom61
                    THANK YOU! That's what I've been waiting for the entire time. I didn't want to buy the unit to find that it's using a wonky BIOS, or preloading the stage 2 bootloader from a a ROM chip. Now that we know it can run embedded linux (and does!), I'm going to have to take a long look at the old bank account and see if I can't pick one of these up for some rainy day tinkering.

                    A quick DD image of the original HDD should keep me safe from completely blowing away a usable device.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      It's alive!

                      There is light at the end of the tunnel. Turns out that the macvision's solid hardware isn't limited by it's early software after all.

                      With the unit running linux, it's actually relatively easy to modify:

                      http://www.icewave.biz/macvision/

                      Now, whether the internal GPS app can run alongside more feature rich A/V functions is yet to be tested.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I'm also curious if the gps program is open source or not. linux has no good gps programs, it'd be nice if something like that could be modified by the community to be good.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Don 944 LA
                          yeah, thats seems reasonable

                          Just GPS DVD MP3 for $400 ... a steal

                          and screen

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Don 944 LA
                            yeah, thats seems reasonable

                            Just GPS DVD MP3 for $400 ... a steal

                            and screen, motherboard processor it's also hardware

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by TrickerZ
                              I'm also curious if the gps program is open source or not. linux has no good gps programs, it'd be nice if something like that could be modified by the community to be good.
                              It doesn't appear to be. Although it does use some open source GIS applications. I've just found out that it appears all of the GPS information is stored in a pretty standard SQL format, so we might actually be able to code something.

                              I'm currently trying to get skyeye working (www.skyeye.org) to emulate the filesystem on my x86_64 PC. That will hopefully help with quicker testing. Right now I can't even easily LDD the files, since they're ARM binaries.

                              My goal is to first replace the limited MP3 player. Right now it's not terribly useful, with no playlists or file sorting...

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X