FM Radio solutions list

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FM Radio solutions list

It'd be useful to me (and hopefully others) to start a list of current fm radio solutions that people are using today, with exactly which hardware/software they're using, and a rating of how it's working for them. I'm so tired of waiting for the home brew radio solution, and I miss my fm radio - so I'm interested to hear what people are doing for this LATELY.

Even if your solution is carpc + headunit for radio, I'm interested in how that's working and how you've got it hooked up.
    My install log
    My "selling entire system" thread

Hauppauge WINTV401 TV/FM (PCI card) and Road Runner.

It works perfectly for me. The WinTV card gets better reception than the stock radio in the Element did. At my house, outside of Oklahoma City, some of the radio stations in the city had a lot of static. The WinTv gets radio stations from Enid and Tulsa, and the local stations are very clear. So, I'm very happy with it.

Comment

D-Link DSB-R100 with Radiator and FP, connected to my windshield antenna. Reception is actually pretty good.

Comment

Radioman Rs232 Radio with AM and FM.

I am using a Terk amplified antenna and it works well. AM there is little or no reception. It is what the DLINK radio is based off of.
        -Jack
        2006 Chrysler 300C AWD
        Samsung Galaxy Tab In dash

Comment

Wow, that's three pretty satisfied radio users (so far) - I guess there is hope for headunitless FM radio.
          My install log

Comment

DLink radio does seem to provide a clean signal when used with a decent car ariel, not the telescopic thing it comes with. Only problem is it has no RDS/EON and has to be constantly re-tuned or tweaked as you drive. For basic FM radio they are ok, but don't come close to the sound/reception quality of a decent headunit.

IMO with currently available hardware it seems a better solution to stick with a Headunit for Radio, and amplification (if you don't use Amps.) - it also serves as a backup music/radio source when PC innevitably crashes or hangs.

I am yet to try a TV/FM PCI card. There are also a few DVB/DAB USB tuners surfacing at the moment.
            My Nissan 200SX @ Silverstone
            NOW SADLY WRITTEN OFF!

My Car's spec list + pics

Stealth CarPC fab'ing...

Comment

Any others?
              My install log

Comment

I bought a old Reveal FM/AM Tuner(ISA) off Ebay for 15 bucks, the antenna that came with it sucked, but I hook up a regular headphone plug with some thick wire and reception was really clear. I use it with Radiator.

Comment

Working...
                X