Backup HD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backup HD

I have never backed up an entire OS / software setup , and wondered if I could remove the HD from my car computer, set it up on my home pc as a slave drive and basically back the hole of the C drive to a DVD such that if I did have any problems, I could simply copy it back on to the HD and all files, settings and drivers be exactly as I have got it now!

I really dont want to use any third party software if I can get away with it!

So is this feasable, such that all settings would be kept?

The best way is to hook it up as you say but use an image utility such as Ghost to do the backup, it then creates an image of the disk including boot sectors, partitions etc, much of which you wouldn't get by copying files. It is pretty simple to do, even easier than copying files in some respects.

Comment

There are other ultility too like ImageDrive, but Norton Ghost is the best (I think)
      2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
      89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
      Y2K Accord Dell GX150
      RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
      EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

So if I use Norton Ghost will it keep all of my settings etc within each piece of software I have configured. What I really want to be 100% sure of is if it will make a complete clone of my setup?

Also, how do you go about reinstalling the image if you do not have an OS on your system?

Comment

I use Acronis True Image, it is similar to ghost but i find it a lot easier to use.

It can create a boot disk which you load off of first and then it will 'talk' you through the installation process after that.

As i say, very easy and reliable. I have used it a couple of times.
          System - Epia SP13000 for Main PC, Holux GR-213 USB GPS Receiver SiRF Star III, 2.4Ghz Uplink with VNC and Custom designed USB Intelligent SDC (In DEV). All fed to a Sony CDX-F7500 Headunit via USB. www.wrx-carpc.co.uk

Comment

I've been thinking about making a second partition holding a backup image. Then set the system up for dual boot so that I could boot into DOS in the second partition if necessary and run the restore program to restore the primary partition.

I know the older versions of Ghost wouldn't back up a partition to another partition on the same physical drive. I seem to remember that Drive Image would do that. Now that Symantec has bought them, I think I remember reading that the new Ghost is actually Drive Image.

Does anyone know if the current Ghost supports partition to partition on the same physical drive, or another program that will do that? I could use Acronis and make the boot CD, but I'd rather keep it all on one hard drive and only use a CD if I absolutely have to.

Thanks,
            Z
            Zotac N630I-D-E M/B w/ Nvidia 7100, E5300 cpu, Xenarc 700IDT, M2-ATX, XP, RR & DFX 5.1.

Comment

Originally posted by Tissy
              I use Acronis True Image, it is similar to ghost but i find it a lot easier to use.

It can create a boot disk which you load off of first and then it will 'talk' you through the installation process after that.

As i say, very easy and reliable. I have used it a couple of times.

Does this software keep all settings, drivers and so on as I have defined them?

Comment

Working...
              X