Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motherboard Questions...

Hi Guys,

I am in the US this week (as posted already 2 or 3 times), until wednesday evening... I think I need a new CarPC setup (mobo+proc+case)... Here is what I have been considering... feel free to suggest more/less/different stuff...

- Pundit-R barebone with P4 3ghz (I just finished doing one for my dad works with Opus, not really as small as I'd like.... but has 2 PCIs, one for a SB Audigy, and one for a Cinergy or something decent for tv/fm)...

- Commel LV-673 - Mini-ITX Pentium M mobo... Pro is that it is the only one I've seen with enough sound outputs to not require an external/pci soundcard to do 5.1 surround and keep my micrpohone for phone... (can be seen here http://www.bwi.com/product/14024 ) Con is that it is 12v in only, so I'd not be using my opus... and would need yet another PSU+SDC...

- This MB890F from the mp3car store... (Pentium M)
    http://www.mp3car.com/store/product_...roducts_id=132 I like getting it from the store, they've always shipped quick and this is essential since I need it here by tuesday or wednesday morning at the LATEST.... anyways, still it isnt ATX so I wonder if the Opus will play nice... I'll need some modding of the cables but can it even be used? or should I get something like a Carnetix? Can I call the mp3car store folks for questions like this?!

- Finally there is this one the MB850F (Pentium 4) http://www.mp3car.com/store/product_...roducts_id=131 and what is the difference between the 850, 870 and 850F? Do any of these have a bootable CF-card slot in them? that would be cool... this one seems to be the only one with an ATX connector, not sure if this is good or bad at this stage.... Can I just get some recommendations?

- For the miniITX mobos I'm considering a C138 case from Travla... I've been eyeing this one for a while, I like the form factor I think... it should be pretty hide-able in my big car...

Thanks guys... I'm stressing on this... gotta decide and place an order in 12hrs or less I think... I hope this one doesnt go unanswered....
    Roy

2005 Range Rover 4.4
    Any ideas for putting a PC in this? :)

out of your choices there i would stick with one of the pentium M setups, I don't know enough anymore about intel chipsets to make a sound suggestion between them.

expensive setup though, everyone has there preferences but concider a AMD mobile setup, I have a biostar IDEq case on the way to me now, the footprint of the case is the shuttle, and the board is about miniITX sized, Nforce2 chipet, dual VGA out, PCI and AGP slot, firewire, ect.

You can do so much with the barton mobiles, they are such great chips. And much less expensive then the pentium M.
    My Install

Software:
    CFiG v1
    iGuidance Plugin for CF

CarShell
    Working shell for a CarPC

StopWatch
    StopWatch plugin remade for centrafuse RC1

Comment

Thanks for chiming in Alti... however you must post a link where I can order one of these suckers

Seriously though, do you think this board is available from somewhere with immediate deliver? And do you think this board would fit in the case I suggested? it is much smaller than a shuttle case IIRC...

I went over to the biostar website and saw that newegg sold their stuff... basically does this support the Athlon Mobile chips? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16856115019 it seems to be the only one with nforce graphics, is this the one our getting? What processor could one get for 150$-$200? (I'm aiming at powering this with an opus if you think it might be a problem)
      Roy

2005 Range Rover 4.4

Comment

further tinkering.... what do you guys think of:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16856140012 - AOpen mini computer...reminds me of the mac mini... again doesnt seem to support amd....only pentium Ms.... any thoughts? Are those on the back 2 mini-PCI? Is there a decent/good mini pci soundcard that one can get?

I actually need to find a decent compromise.... i'm just way confused... mayb someone can give me one or 2 model numbers you suggest? I'm open to Pentium Ms or AMD Mobiles... It needs to run under an Opus 150, and I think I rather have at least one, maybe 2 PCI slots now that I come to think of it further.....

Also, the smallest the better.... of course, there will be a limit in size if I get a PCI slot, and especially if I get a 2-pci case... but lets jst say "as small as possible"...
        Roy

2005 Range Rover 4.4

Comment

wholy **** that is weird. they must have just pulled it off there products list. I ordered mine on friday and it went through but has not yet shipped, and now it is gone. I hope mine ships ok.

The one i got is the ideq 200N

http://www.biostar.com.tw/products/b...00n/index.php3

as far as the board fitting in the case i doubt it, it would have to stay in the ideq case, from the research i did it should support the athlon mobile, and i am guessing without the pin mod, but i will not know for sure until it arrives (likely by wed)

the barton mobiles can be bought new for under $100 USD
          My Install

Software:
          CFiG v1
          iGuidance Plugin for CF

CarShell

StopWatch

Comment

again looking at the 210P i pointed out above (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16856115019) do you think this one would support the athlon-M? (athlon-m=barton?)

Do these have ATX-compatible motherboards?

this one has 2pcis, which is pretty cool.... Also let me ask, would you happen to know if these have tv-out? I dont see it on the back, but could it be on a header?
            Roy

2005 Range Rover 4.4

Comment

Originally posted by RoyN
              again looking at the 210P i pointed out above (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16856115019) do you think this one would support the athlon-M? (athlon-m=barton?)

Do these have ATX-compatible motherboards?

this one has 2pcis, which is pretty cool.... Also let me ask, would you happen to know if these have tv-out? I dont see it on the back, but could it be on a header?

dont know if it will support the 64 bit mobiles, it will obivously not support the 32 bit bartons as they are a different socket and chipset. i wlways search around the Hard forums and overclockers forums you can useuly find the answer there.

The Ideqs that i looked at are NOT Atx sized motherboards, they should be compatible with atx psu's though. The one you are looking at does not seem to have on-board video either.
              My Install

Software:
              CFiG v1
              iGuidance Plugin for CF

CarShell

StopWatch

Comment

weird... it says nvidia nforce3 in the title... isnt this the graphics processor on board?

It also has 2 vga ports iirc in the back picture....

after reading a bit more though I think I'm considering a bit more the aopen mini cube though... what springs to mind in your opinion (except the price factor and the fact that its a Pentium M not an athlon M)? http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...&sku=A457-6006 I think i might be able to pick this up locally... plus it is lighter and smaller than the biostar (which is a bit better for me to take back home along with all the other ****e like clothes)

This one only has low profile pci, but seems to have an ATX compatible psu, i could probably hack the opus in there, since i'm going to be using only 1 laptop hd, no optical drive, etc.... I can also try to use the builtin CF slot for booting, alhto I doubt it will work.... some other stuff to see but I really like the idea of a small box like this packing a good punch....
                Roy

2005 Range Rover 4.4

Comment

weird... it says nvidia nforce3 in the title... isnt this the graphics processor on board?
                  nforce is the chipset.
                  PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
                  GammaControl v2.4
                  SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

yes, but its the graphics chipset, correct? meaning the onboard video? or am I way off here?

hardware specifics are really not my thing.....
                    Roy

2005 Range Rover 4.4

Comment

yes, but its the graphics chipset, correct? meaning the onboard video? or am I way off here?

hardware specifics are really not my thing.....
                      No. nforce is the name of the chipset. Like the Intel 850 is the name of a chipset. IIIRC the nforce3 doesn't have onboard video.

FYI: Intel makes best chipsets for Intel, and nvidia makes best chipsets for AMD. Stay away from ATI, VIA, and SiS.
                      GammaControl v2.4
                      SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

hmmm.... i understand now... the aopen i references above is intel chipset.....

EDIT: can smeone point me out to Socket 479 Pentium M chips? All of the ones i see on newegg and other places say Socket 478....
                        Roy

2005 Range Rover 4.4

Comment

ya, as ol33l said the nforce is the chipset, just as the 855GME is the chipset of the intel board you are looking at above. The ports you are looking at are serial.

as for the Aopen box, i really dont know, have not been keeping up on intels chipsets as of late. As you said it does not look like there is enough height in there for a regualr sized agp/pci card, so if you were planning on useing a pci card for sound, unless it is some kind of low height form factor it is not going to fit in there. that is why the ideq cases are taller, to accomidate for the cards. and the CF card readers are nice.
                          My Install

Software:
                          CFiG v1
                          iGuidance Plugin for CF

CarShell

StopWatch

Comment

http://www.intel.com/design/intarch/...m/pentiumm.htm
                            GammaControl v2.4
                            SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

any idea where I can buy a 1.8 or 2ghz?
                              Roy

2005 Range Rover 4.4

Comment

Working...
                              X