Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New all in one touchscreen computer WITH SIM and GPS built in!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New all in one touchscreen computer WITH SIM and GPS built in!

Im thinking that this is great for just mounting in the dash and your done. However I can see you would have to be clever in order to still get access to everything, but I like the fact that its the whole package and you can just power it off an in car charger too

What do you all rekon? Even if not for carpcs its still uber cool and available in different colours!

Dave
    -----------------
    Dashboard Monkey - CarPC News, reviews, installs and more
    -----------------

Originally posted by itrends
    Im thinking that this is great for just mounting in the dash and your done. However I can see you would have to be clever in order to still get access to everything, but I like the fact that its the whole package and you can just power it off an in car charger too

What do you all rekon? Even if not for carpcs its still uber cool and available in different colours!

Dave
    Not to try and hijack the thread (still related to the topic), but have you seen the OQO?

http://www.oqo.com/

Talk about an easy install! The only thing it lacks is the GPRS capability with the SIM, but that's easy if you have a bluetooth phone anyways.
    Real Genius Designs, Inc.

Comment

I apologize... just searched "oqo" and it popped up 13 threads. Clearly, I'm not the only one who's seen these things.
      Real Genius Designs, Inc.

Comment

no worries.

Also, i am thinking that using my bluetooth dongle as i currently do is better as it means i dont have to switch sims etc.

Having said that, orange now offer a service to use 2 sims which is handy

DAve
        -----------------
        Dashboard Monkey - CarPC News, reviews, installs and more
        -----------------

Comment

1400 pounds is roughly $2200!! You could easily build a system that is better, upgradable, and cheaper.
          Spent so far: $1,755
          Check Out My Work Log for Specs/Pics
          CarPC Progress[!!!!!!!!!!!!!!].....Installation[---------+].....Pastrami Progress[!!!!!!!!!!!!!!]
          Don't mess with Texas.
          It's not nice to pick on retards!

Comment

Holy ****e, for $2200 it better offer sexual favors and cook me breakfast too.
            Tidder

Try RevFE
            The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

i know people willing to commit murder for less!!!!!
              PC Components:
              Lilliput; XPC/FLEX mobo; 1.7 ghz P4 Mobile;512 DDR; 160 gb HDD; opus 150; slot usb dvd-rw
              My work log

Comment

There are several of us using Tablet PCs for our cars, so this is nothing really new. The price is rediculous! I paid less than $300 two years ago for my 500 MhZ tablet and their much cheaper now. The built-ins are nice, but upgradeability is questionable at best.

I'm particularly intrigued with the passive touchscreen. Most new manufacturers are jumping on the Tablet PC Edition of XP which requires an "electric Pen" (actually its magnetic). Tablet PC Edition tablets are awful for in car use unless you have an alternative input method.

Lastly, although this is a perfect size for in-dash install, I have become reliant on my docking station allowing me to remove the system quickly and easily. I like being able to take it in the house for updates, take it to the swimming pool or out by the lake, and best of all moving it from any of my three cars and maintaining full functionality for all (each has its own dock).

The fact that anyone is developing new passive touchscreen tablets gives us hope. The other issue with most tablets today is audio inputs: most of the new tablets only have mono mic inputs, but with a fast enough processor and 2.0 USB this too can be overcome.

Keep looking out for these, I'm ready to upgrade whenever I can find one with a decent minidock.
                HARDWARE: Fujitsu Stylistic ST5111w/WiFi and dock, internal Hitachi 500G HD, external 1TB HD, Sierra Wireless Aircard 550, DVD-RW, BoomzBox HD radio, XM Commander, Delorme GPS, Saitek X-52 Pro joystick, BluSoleil Bluetooth, TPMS, FB, Elm327

Comment

I'm very familiar with the mobo it's using, I have a thinclient version of it.

Transmetta discontinued it's processors so hopefully they'll replace it with VIA asap. It's alot better than the TM5800.
                  [ 5-spd 1996 M A X i M A SE ]

Comment

one big problem with using these cute little things is that the screen will be much dimmer than even the lilli's that everyone complains about already.... now if you find one with a tranflective screen, NOW your talkin'
                    MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

Working...
                    X