Cooling of a different kind...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooling of a different kind...

After all the searching ive done to reassure myself that my P4 will have adequate cooling i thought about this interesting little product. As for drag racing i have a couple buddies that have this system installed and they said it produced an extememly noticible difference in performance. Well mp3car isnt really about racing but its still related to performance.

This system uses the cryogenic properties of CO2 to cool the intake charge to get more air into the intake manifold. They claim and it has been tested to reduce air temperature by 60%. The CO2 is passed through an aerodynamic bulb mounted inline with the intake piping which causes it to freeze and reduce the air temperature.

Now, for the price this site is offering i'd say its only worth getting if you were into some form of racing and needed that bit of performance boost. With this you could just make a line splitter and run a separate solenoid or air valve to a modified (or CO2) heat sink mounted to the CPU. Otherwise a system using different size paintball CO2 canisters or possibly a larger tank that can be regulated to release CO2 based on the CPU temperature. One serious consideration is the rapid cooling of the CPU if it is too hot. That rapid of a temperature change i would imagine could crack a CPU in half.

Design Engineering website:
    http://www.designengineering.com/pro...asp?m=sc&cid=1
    MB870
    3.2GHz Northwood P4
    1GB SDRAM
    300GB Maxtor SATA HD
    (Seeing as though i work for Maxtor)
    Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum
    Deck Ice USB illuminated keyboard
    Lilliput 7" Touchscreen
    Adesso touchpad
    Casetronic Travla C137 120W

wow.... imho overkill...

i run a p4 3ghz in a pundit with no probledms in a closed trunk...
    Roy

2005 Range Rover 4.4
    Any ideas for putting a PC in this? :)

Comment

rapid cooling would kill your processor.
      Core duo
      1tb harddrive
      256 ddr
      8 lilliput
      bu-353

still installing...

Comment

I've also heard rumors of adding nitrous to your ram, suposidly you can double the bus speed

seroiusly, to even consider a cooling option that contains a consumable is totally extreme overkill, not to mention
        MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

Originally posted by turbocad6
          I've also heard rumors of adding nitrous to your ram, suposidly you can double the bus speed

seroiusly, to even consider a cooling option that contains a consumable is totally extreme overkill, not to mention
          Nitrous oxide isn't flammable... unless you get it around 527 degrees F. And even then its the oxygen that gets released from the broken bond that can be used for combustion; still have to have some fuel. Hopefully none of our machines will ever attain the temp needed to break apart NO2.

The temp of both when released in the atmosphere are so similar that there is no way you'd want to 4 dollars a pound (in some markets) for NO2 when CO2 is so cheap. Either way, carrying enough to make a difference when in use constantly, would be virtually impossible. Maybe for quick over clocking attempts, but not for constant use. However... using a big shot ever now and then (like when the cars been sitting in the summer sun all day) to cool the trunk, not the heat sink itself (condensation, anyone?), may have some benefits. Maybe I'll give this trunk approach a try and report back... need a kit for my intercooler anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by VCS
            Nitrous oxide isn't flammable... unless you get it around 527 degrees F. And even then its the oxygen that gets released from the broken bond that can be used for combustion; still have to have some fuel. Hopefully none of our machines will ever attain the temp needed to break apart NO2.

SNIP

He said consumable... not combustable

Consumable means the material is used and goes away.
            Combustable means on fire... Combustion uses consumable fuel.
            TruckinMP3
            D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

www.mobile-effects.com

Free file hosting, picture gallery hosting for installs, PM me.

Internet's first Front End Skin browser, featured installs, downloads, links, informative articles - all free to registered users.

Comment

lol... oops! Misread. So may ppl think NO2 its flammable; my mind immediately went there.

Comment

oh yeah, I WAS JOKING!!!!

but if you want to try it go right ahead & post the results here

Comment

I know. But isn't everything we do here an experiment? So why not? Besides it actually might be helpful when it gets 118F here in AZ in the summer...

Comment

go for it

Comment

The trunk idea isn't half bad, although you might want to make sure that the trunk is sealed off from the passenger compartment, as CO2 is poisonous in high enough concentrations. Also, make sure you're dumping liquid into the trunk (don't worry, it evaporates instantly in a cloud of crystalized water vapor), otherwise, you will only cool the bottle, but you're buying a kit, so nevermind.

P.S. This would make a good fire extinguisher system (just in case)

Comment

Alpha, yea that's what I've been concentrating on this morning. I've been trying to find a sensor so that I can measure the O2 in the cabin. Like you mentioned, I don't want to suffocate myself, or, worse, pass out while driving and hurt someone else. I sent an email this morning to a guy that works with Air Products to see if anyone there can offer some insight. Also, want to find out if they know the best way/design/method to release the gas to provide the maximum cooling effect.

Comment

so what do you do if your on a long trip & half way there run out of co2..... loose navigation? turn music off, call a tow truck? I don't get it????

Comment

For me the idea is this... let's say its 115 degrees outside, and your car has been sitting in direct sun for 8 hours as you've been hard at work inside. When you leave to go home, you know the inside temperature of your trunk is pretty extreme. And since the trunk gets limited air circulation, it doesn’t cool down very quickly as the cabin does when the A/C starts blowing. The idea is to use a brief blast of CO2 to chill the trunks air space to a reasonable level, so that the PC doesn't have to endure such a sweltering environment. Once the trunk is chilled, the normal, but limited air flow, to the trunk from the A/C'ed cabin, will help keep the computer in a comfortable condition.

The idea isn't to be a constantly running system, nor to replace our standard cooling methods. But rather to give the temp a little and brief push down when the conditions get extreme.

Comment

Working...
                              X