Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Neep some noob help that i cant find anywhere.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neep some noob help that i cant find anywhere.

i have download mapmonkey and freedrive and it seems that both of these freewares are only for europe, correct. i want to add a gps program to my carpc, which uses road runner, but dont know what to get. right now i leading towards ms s&t 2006 w/ locator. i just read somewhere that this program is considered more of a mapping software than a gps system. can anyone help me here. also if those freewares work in the U.S. are they compareable to ms s&t or iguidence.
    also what exactly is a designator.
    CLICK ME FOR BMW CARPUTERS

95 Avus M3
    Mods: ;-)
    Carputer: Lilliput 619, GPS= LT-20 Receiver, IGuidance 3 & Streets & Atlas 2K6, RR Front End, Removable Dell Inspiron Laptop, More to come........

Do you mean Destinator? Destinator is the commercial software on which MapMonkey and FreeDrive are both based.
    You need to purchase Destinator and the US maps for it, as well as the SDK, if I'm not mistaken. It is certainly comparable to iGuidance, but I've heard the Destinator US maps aren't as good as iGuidance maps.
    S&T isn't a nav program, and is pretty lousy for in-car use. The maps are good and S&T does give good directions, however.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

ok so i would be wasting my time getting ms s&t. What do i need to do. after i get a gps reciever, what else do i need. i am also trying to keep this budget friendly. mapmonkey and freedrive are basically like skins for gps programs?

95 Avus M3
      Carputer: Lilliput 619, GPS= LT-20 Receiver, IGuidance 3 & Streets & Atlas 2K6, RR Front End, Removable Dell Inspiron Laptop, More to come........

Comment

You need to check out the FAQ emporium and read the threads about GPS hardware and software.

oh, and a PC in your ride is not a budget-friendly endeavor, my friend. Be prepared to stress that checking account.
        How about the Wiki?

Comment

trust me i know its not a cheap, but i have a connection at one the major electronic retail stores. i usually receive discounts in the 35-60% range. i have put in over 5 hours on this forum alone just to set up roadrunner, and have put in even more researching other things. i am really confused with this whole gps freedrive mappmonkey thing. i dl both of them and they both only show euro. maps. i was wondering if those are not gps programs, what are they just skins to change the look. i have searched and still cannot figure it out.
          any help would be appreciated.
          if someone buys a tracker and iguidance, why do u still need those other programs.

95 Avus M3

Comment

This should help.
            Attached Files
            Originally posted by ghettocruzer
            I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
            Want to:
            -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
            -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

i have read that and it still does not tell me exactly what freedrive, mapmonkey, etc prograMS DO. do you people that know what it is think it would be easier to just tell what it is and what it does instead of all this running around. sorry i was not born with gps knowledge.

95 Avus M3

Comment

What do I need to get Map Monkey working?
                Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                Want to:
                -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Open up sweetheart here comes the airplane. They are just "skins" to make the programs more touchscreen friendly and look better. There, I spoonfed you.

Comment

that helps. thanks you.

95 Avus M3

Comment

Originally posted by bimmeracer
                      trust me i know its not a cheap, but i have a connection at one the major electronic retail stores. i usually receive discounts in the 35-60% range. i have put in over 5 hours on this forum alone just to set up roadrunner, and have put in even more researching other things. i am really confused with this whole gps freedrive mappmonkey thing. i dl both of them and they both only show euro. maps. i was wondering if those are not gps programs, what are they just skins to change the look. i have searched and still cannot figure it out.
                      any help would be appreciated.
                      FreeDrive and MapMonkey are simply touchscreen-friendly shells for the Destinator program.
                      Again: To use either of them, you need the US map set for Destinator. You have to purchase Destinator to get them.

if someone buys a tracker and iguidance, why do u still need those other programs.
                      You don't.
                      How about the Wiki?

Comment

Originally posted by bimmeracer
                        sorry i was not born with gps knowledge.
                        or the ability to search, and not double post.

just kidding.
                        Dr. Ron Paul for President 2008

Hope for America - http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Who is Ron Paul? - Why do we need Ron Paul?

Comment

sorry for the double post, the first time i put it in the wrong section.

95 Avus M3

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert
                            Do you mean Destinator? Destinator is the commercial software on which MapMonkey and FreeDrive are both based.
                            You need to purchase Destinator and the US maps for it, as well as the SDK
                            i didn't purchase sdk but freedrive works fine.
                            ibus error
                            GTA skin

Comment

Working...
                            X