New guy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy

hey all im 17 and have always wanted a computer in my car but now I finally got a car to put one in

I was surprised and relieved that car computers are already as popular as they are, Ive already read about a lot of things you can do that I would have never thought of. Its cool that there is a forum about all this stuff

one idea ive had in my head and that I will end up doing once I get everything setup in my car is a biometric car starter where I can get a thumb print reader and have my computer start my car if it recognizes a thumb print. So I could start the car without keys.

I plan on going feature crazy and being able to control everything about my car including the engine once I get enough money for an engine management system

Just wanted to say hey and see if anybody had any opinions on my thumb print car starter idea

Thumb car starter is bad. Computer needs to be running to work. which means computer needs to be controlled possibly by the key.....hm might work. Use the ignition switch to turn on computer but disable the starter part of the ignition switch. use a lpt or usb relay controller to start the car. Means you have to wait for you copmuter to start before you can start your car. Make sure you have a computer power supply that can handle engine crank. Since it would be starting the car after its been powered up. Or you could use a pda with thumb print reader.($500+). i'm not sure thumb print readers are ready for cars yet. If you didn't need the carputer to be running to use it that would be great. Then the thumb/finger print reader could power on the car and computer. Search the forum im sure alot of people have already talked this to death.
    Um, I guess this is where you put something witty.WITTY

My Web site, in the design stage. http://home.comcast.net/~cstrachn

Modified RRSkinEditor http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65723

Comment

Another reason why it's not such a good idea is because sometimes you'd someone else to use your car while you're gone.
      How would you explain the valet guy the password to bypass the Thumb Start feature?
      My suggestion: wait around a decade...
      For Sale: Carputer (CarPC) & RCA Y-Adapter
      Newsflash: Take a look at my unsold stuff above, thanks!
      Up Next: Make an OBD to Serial cable & Redo the "MMI buttons"

Comment

well now that ive thought past just the idea I think I would do as follows:

keep the key ignition intact so I can still use a key

use a power controller like this http://www.mp3car.com/store/product_...products_id=66 and rig up a button to turn the computer on while the car is off

use "Shutdown to Standby Support" so that it will boot up quickly

just use the thumb reader to login to the OS and then have a quick link to an ignition control program that I could code up

control run-stop-start through relays connected to the parallel port

a thumb reader is about $30 for PCs

the only obstacle I can think of is how the computer could determine if the car is running so it would disengage the starter. Im thinking of buying a remote starter kit and then maybe I could wire into that somehow, or just figure out how that detects when the motor is running

Comment

Originally posted by DJiK
          Another reason why it's not such a good idea is because sometimes you'd someone else to use your car while you're gone.
          How would you explain the valet guy the password to bypass the Thumb Start feature?
          My suggestion: wait around a decade...
          other people rarely use my car, but thats why I would keep the key ignition intact.

Comment

You obviously haven't searched these forums.
            You're not the first one with this idea. It has lots of hurdles to overcome. Be prepared for some serious engineering work.
            Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
            How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

well I found this one, which is actually made for starting a car with http://www.ravirajtech.com/fingerpri...arm_india.html

but it doesnt have a price for it

If I cant get ahold of one of those then im just going to do it through my carputer

Comment

I am so happy that i bought fingerprint car security product called Identisafe-09 from United Linkers at http://www.automobile-security.com

Identisafe-09 is such a wonderful system and I love starting my car with my fingerprint.I bought this biometric car product from there website www.automobile-security.com.

Gary_USA

Comment

Thanatos.
                  RexBruMet Skin for FrodoPlayer

Nissan Aux-in MOD

Originally posted by bgoodman
                  We're an international forum, post in whatever langauge you like.

Comment

Originally posted by thanatos106

Thanatos.
                    It amazes me that people actually fall for this kind of this crap.
                    -T

"Imagine a Funny Quote Here"

Comment

I would think it would be possible to have a sensor off of a crank trigger tell the pc that the car was running by seeing spark.

Comment

would be a whole lot easier just to watch voltage.
                        But anyways 32. You need to hangout around the forums longer.
                        Everything you want and dream of is somewhere on the forums.
                        But biometrics are not the greatest idea. Really your best bet for that is to find some door that has a reader. THen you would have to hack that apart and might be able to get it to work.
                        But im sure one of those is probably a few grand at least.

But if you got enough money anything is possible....
                        Core duo
                        1tb harddrive
                        256 ddr
                        8 lilliput
                        bu-353

still installing...

Comment

Originally posted by Gary_USA
                          I am so happy that i bought fingerprint car security product called Identisafe-09 from United Linkers at http://www.automobile-security.com

Identisafe-09 is such a wonderful system and I love starting my car with my fingerprint.I bought this biometric car product from there website www.automobile-security.com.

Gary_USA
                          He could have ATLEAST used the the correct word their instead of there... geez who is going to fall for an add that makes it look bad. j/p

anyways...
                          thumb reader isnt a bad idea just for the pc... so if you take you car to get fixed or valet park it the people dont sit there messing with it. might look into that as a cool novelty factor - add a little more "shock and awe" to it.

Comment

I think if you search for gummy bear you will find thumb reader info regarding carPC and the car.
                            2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
                            89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
                            Y2K Accord Dell GX150
                            RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
                            EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Working...
                            X