Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell SX260 or SX270 Setup

Sup yaa,

Anyone with a Dell SX260 or SX270 post your specs / setups here.

I have a Dell SX270 and looking for the best way of powering my unit besides a 400watt power inverter.
    `¨`¨`¨`¨` _____||¯.\__
    .:.:.:.:.:.:;!_(o)______(o)'i
    TruckputerX - Vortech SuperCharger Vid
    TruckputerX Progress Bar [|||||||||-] 90% Complete [It's never 100% done]

the sx range have a special psu dont they, a multipin plug, the only thing I would suggest is measuring the voltage thats coming out, one of the wires might turn the psu on, so you might not get any readiings from the psu if its not plugged into the comp.. so this might be tricky

CdR
    Follow me on Twitter

http://www.FreeICE.co.uk

Comment

External 150 watt brick

Power Adapter Series: DA-1
      DELL Part Number: 3R160
      Model: ADP-150BB B
      Input: 100-240V ~1.8A 50-60MHz
      Output: 12V DC 12.5A
      `¨`¨`¨`¨` _____||¯.\__

Comment

Originally posted by xs10x
        External 150 watt brick

Power Adapter Series: DA-1
        DELL Part Number: 3R160
        Model: ADP-150BB B
        Input: 100-240V ~1.8A 50-60MHz
        Output: 12V DC 12.5A
        Thanks, but what we need to know is if the adaptor plug has 3 contacts, or just 2 contacts.

It has been asked because some laptops/power bricks have a 3rd contact that tells the laptop that an "OEM" brick is connected. If so, that third contact must be replicated, and that could be difficult. You could also look for a specific DC-DC brick for the laptop, though OEM is probably your best choice. Otherwise, I think the inverter is your only choice.

Michael
        ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

if you look at the image....towards the top right you have the pin layout.

Remote..............................Future Use
          Com...................................+12v
          Com...................................+12V

Power supply will not turn on till it's plugged into the unit
          `¨`¨`¨`¨` _____||¯.\__

Comment

if you look at the image....towards the top right you have the pin layout.

Remote..............................Future Use
            Com...................................12v
            Com...................................12V

Power supply will not turn on till it's plugged into the unit
            Actually, it is really hard to read in the picture, but it does now appear as if there are multiple connections from the brick to the laptop. Leads me to think that an inverter is your only choice.

Michael
            ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

Well, I guess a power inverter might do for now until a better solution arrives. But I was hoping for a more efficient DC-DC solution providing shutdown and startup features.

The speed of boot and shutdown on this unit is pretty quick, so I don't mind a manual setup. Just have to make a remote switch for the power inverter on my dash then.
              `¨`¨`¨`¨` _____||¯.\__

Comment

Well, I guess a power inverter might do for now until a better solution arrives. But I was hoping for a more efficient DC-DC solution providing shutdown and startup features.

The speed of boot and shutdown on this unit is pretty quick, so I don't mind a manual setup. Just have to make a remote switch for the power inverter on my dash then.
                There are lots of options for startup and shutdown for laptops. Just do a search for "laptop shutdown" and "laptop startup" It will be easier with a "real" docking station, but after a search, you will have a better idea of what to do.

Michael

Comment

anyone figure this one out yet?

This is the same pc I have anyone figure out how to solder a button to the motherboard??

Comment

SX260/270 12V wiring

it's real easy to ditch the PSU on the SX260/270PC.

1. Cut the cord from the brick to the power connector. Then make the following changes

Connect the RED and/or BROWN wire to +12V
                    Connect the BLACK and/or WHITE wire to GND

What I did was connect the RED wire to +12, the Black wire to GND. the Brown, White, Yellow(Future use) and Green(Remote) are just taped up. I did not do anything with the shield as it ties to ground

I have used a 10a fuse, but currently use a 15a. Since the PSU puts out 12.5a, I didn't want to get into a situation where I was popping fuses. It works great. the voltage regulartors inside the PC seem to handle the car's voltage fluctuations well... it just won't remain powered on while starting (1F cap could fix that...)

Comment

Also they do make DC power supplies for these for car use..

Comment

Just fyi!! Ive got an sx270 with the 2.8 for sale... $300
                        Just a shameless plug!
                        Project "Media-Z" : 99 Camaro Z28 (Click to View)

Comment

Soon i will be posting my project. I just need to finish the install and post pics and a vid.
                          `¨`¨`¨`¨` _____||¯.\__

Comment

Where would you find a DC power supply for a Dell Optiplex SX270/260?
                            Remember, the Optiplex is NOT a notebook, it's a SFF desktop (Small Form Factor)

What would be the point of making a power supply to change 12vDC into 12vDC?

Comment

I have more than a passing familiarity with the Dell SX series and can guarantee that it won't be happy with the variable supply your car gives it. I really do suggest you supply it something that is regulated better than the 10-14.4 that your car puts out. There are plenty of 12V DC supplies you'll find by searching the power forum.

Comment

Working...
                              X