I am at mt wits end! help with detecting ide devices

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am at mt wits end! help with detecting ide devices

Ok, I'm having problems with my BIOS not detecting my hard drive. Even if I manually detect it, the BIOS doesn't see it sometimes. I have my HDD on IDE 1, and set to master in the BIOS, and cable select on the drive. I know it's getting power, 'cause I put my hand on it on power-up, and I could feel it start to spin. I even disconnected my XM tuner, thinking maybe it was a power problem, but no dice. Somrtimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. When it does this, the POST message detects the memory, then freezes at "detecting IDE devices" then about a minute ot two later, it says "boot devices have changed". When I get into the bios, all IDE slots are empty, even though I try to manually detect it. I also cleared the CMOS, to no avail. My system specs:
    VIA SP-13000
    512Mb DDR 400 memory
    Seagate 250Gb drive
    Terk XMD1000 XM tuner
    Soundblaster Audigy2 PCI card
    Lilliput 8" LCD touchscreen (powered off PS)
    M1-ATX 90W Powersupply

This is driving me nuts. The only thing I did not do, was swap out the IDE cable. Anyone have any other ideas?
    WORKLOG

Asus P5N73-AN Mobo/Celeron E1400 2Ghz Dual Core CPU/2Gb GEIL PC3200/120GB HDD/DSATX PS/8" Phylon TS
    Webpage

why set it on cable select? I've had mixed results with cs, try setting the drive jumper to master.....
    MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

Originally posted by turbocad6
      why set it on cable select? I've had mixed results with cs, try setting the drive jumper to master.....

Cable Select is bad
      TruckinMP3
      D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

cable select sucks really..... & there is no reason to use it in an aplication like this..... ****, I can't think of any aplication that it is really useful....

Comment

Do you think it could cause a problem 6 months after being installed, with these symtoms, 'cause it would me a major PITA to pull the drive out to get at the jumpers. See the pics in my worklog, and you'll get an idea.
          WORKLOG

Asus P5N73-AN Mobo/Celeron E1400 2Ghz Dual Core CPU/2Gb GEIL PC3200/120GB HDD/DSATX PS/8" Phylon TS
          Webpage

Comment

hmmmm, that's odd after 6 months, but I would definately try it... looks like you've got to pop the lcd out to do anything there anyway, no?

Comment

yeah, but it's just removing 4 screws, then leaning the screen against the shifter while I dig into the dash.
              WORKLOG

Webpage

Comment

With the 6 months info... I would suspect a bad drive or cable....
                TruckinMP3
                D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

yeah, I guess once it worked it shouldn't change really...

Comment

You have cable deterioration cause by harsh environment and microscopic organisims that are brought in and jump off your passangers clothing. They nest in warm places i.e. your carputer and hvac system. Known as the blue meanies, slightly blue in color but look like dust to the human eye. I would use an air spray for electronics and dust it off, wear a mask you don't want to breathe this stuff in. It might help to place a screen behind it to catch these intruders. You may notice that the screen is now blue and there is an unrecoverable error and that the system must reboot. Hit Ctrl+Alt+Del to continue.

Your hdd has got its *** kicked by the shocks in this environment. Get a new one.

Comment

5 possibles
                      bad cable
                      bad mobo
                      bad hdd
                      bad power
                      bad connections

My hae'pennie's worth

Comment

Never ever had a problem with CS on supporting mobos - if anything Ive had problems with some older drives that are not happy as having a newer drive as a slave using MA and SL. Bung it on CS and away you go.

Check the cable hasn't come loose, its worth replacing it as its cheap to do but its isn't likely to be the cable. I would suspect Controller or IDE chain. Is the board overheating at all?

Also worth trying a different drive as well.
                        '76 LR Series III 109 - Fully Sorted
                        '95 Rover 620ti - Working on it

A cynic is what an idealist calls a realist

Comment

This morning, and all day today everything worked fine. It's a really odd problem. I'll replace the cable (yellow one mobo came with) with a rounded one I have next time it craps out on me.
                          WORKLOG

Webpage

Comment

I replaced the ****ty yellow IDE cable the SP-13000 came with using a nice 1.5 foot silver rounded cable. I haven't had a problem yet. (crossing fingers and knocking on wood)
                            WORKLOG

Webpage

Comment

OK, just got in the car to drive somewhere, and the damn problem is back after replacing the cable. I guess the next step would be replacing the drive. I guess if I have to buy a new one, I should replace it with a 2.5" laptop drive. In this application, would it make much of a performance difference between 7200rpm and 5400rpm? Maybe the drive just has an intermittent connection in it. I guess it was bound to happer, since my car is lowered, and the ride is kinda harsh compared to other systems in SUV's and such. any comments?
                              EDIT: How's this drive: http://www.superwarehouse.com/p.cfm?...02&CMP=KA18442
                              WORKLOG

Webpage

Comment

Working...
                              X