Moving all my stuff to a faster mobo/processor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving all my stuff to a faster mobo/processor

anyway to get this accomplished WITHOUT reinstalling windows and having to re-do all my programs n such. What a PAIN.
    mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
    Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
    Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Nope.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

I've tried it once with a normal pc using Windows XP Pro coporate edition and it worked like a charm...

Comment

Theoretically yes. Motherboard transplants rarely go smoothly for Windows though (CPUs changes are trivial.)

Comment

i have windows xp pro corporate edition too. I guess its worth a shot. i wasnt sure if a program like norton ghost would work or somethin.

Comment

Ghost will make an image of your existing Windows installation.
            Witht he differences in HAL, it would be useless.
            Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
            How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

The last 3 upgrades I did for people, I tried this. I swap the motherboard and cpu and boot the machine. I don't know if I have just been lucky but when the computer is going through bios I open the CD rom and insert the motherboard's driver cd. When it boots into Windows, it finds the new devices on the new motherbaord and automatically installs the drivers from the cd. Like I said, I may have just been lucky but these swaps have all been with different motherboard manufacturers like an MSI to a Gigabyte and they have been successful.
              7" Lilli TS, Soyo K7VME, Semperon 2200, 160GB Maxtor, 512mb PC3200, Deluo GPS, Panasonic Slim DVD/CD RW, Linksys WMP545G , Opus 150w, XMDirect, XP Pro, FP, IG [XXXXXXXXX-] 90%
              ATVMS.com

Comment

what about sys prep?

read about it. Its on your XP CD. It will prep your system for migration onto a new mobo chipset with different drivers. Should work.
                PC Components:
                Lilliput; XPC/FLEX mobo; 1.7 ghz P4 Mobile;512 DDR; 160 gb HDD; opus 150; slot usb dvd-rw
                My work log

Comment

1) Move Across your hardware
                  2) Put the windows CD in your drive
                  3) Follow On screen prompts, choose R for Recovery
                  4) Your Done.

I should stress the avove method works for windows XP, You may need to reactivate windows if your version has this "feature"
                  '76 LR Series III 109 - Fully Sorted
                  '95 Rover 620ti - Working on it

A cynic is what an idealist calls a realist

Comment

One of the installs they had XP Home so I did have to reactivate it but that's besides the point(reactivation was much faster and easier than I had expected btw). I just booted with the driver cd in and in a couple of minutes after booting all of the new drivers had been installed and the system was running smooth.
                    7" Lilli TS, Soyo K7VME, Semperon 2200, 160GB Maxtor, 512mb PC3200, Deluo GPS, Panasonic Slim DVD/CD RW, Linksys WMP545G , Opus 150w, XMDirect, XP Pro, FP, IG [XXXXXXXXX-] 90%
                    ATVMS.com

Comment

Your system will not always boot up with a mobo change - if it does then you can install the drivers as required.

Booting to the Xp CD and performing a recovery will sort it out, even if xp hangs while trying to boot, or constantly restarts.

The main question is what mobo are you swapping from and to - for instance if your going from the same chipset - via to via, nvidia to nvidia you will probably get away with it.

Comment

i'm changing chipsets. Going from a P3 to an amd 2600. IBM mobo to a biostar mobo. Hopefully having the mobo cd in there will make it work. It would just be so much of a pain in the *** to have to reinstall, lose my registry and have to redo all the programs. I'll try it and post results.

Comment

recovering the system from the cd setup will keep all your registry settings and programs

Comment

i've done this a couple times and its worked everytime. XP just detects new mobo drivers and it works perfectly

Comment

the only thing you need to do before installing the new mobo and cpu is to delete the IDE controller from the device manager else you will get boot device errors. Once you get it booted it will install all the new drivers and you will be good to go. Just keep in mind it won't be as fast as if you installed fresh.
                              肚子笑痛了
                              S60 Install

Comment

Working...
                              X