Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to integrate winamp, LCDC, and hotkeys

Hi all,
    I'm attempting a project which will hopefully look as follows: a PC which will act strictly as an mp3 server. It won't do anything but play music. I would like to connect it to some type of LCD/VFD panel to see what I'm doing. So far, I've picked Winamp 5 to play the audio files, and LCDC to output to the LCD panel. This is not set in stone, however. To interface, I'll probably end up using something like a numeric keypad to control hotkeys.

My dilemma is this: Both LCDC and Winamp almost do what I want them to. Winamp accepts global hotkeys, but pretty much only for the player. What I need is to be able to access the library. I'd like to be able to press a hotkey to sort by artist/song/album. However, I can't seem to find anything for this. Also, with LCDC, I need to be able to see what I'm looking at in the Winamp library. If I sort by album, I want to be able to see a list of albums on my LCD panel so that I know which one I'm choosing.

Do any plugins exist out there which would do this? Or is this the kind of thing which I would need to write myself?

Sweet! Old School LCD displays ROCK!
    I can't really help you with the latest version of Winamp, sadly. Back in the day (V1.x) I wrote a program (which took the place of LCDC) to interface to a serial LCD. It took advantage of Winamps playlist (in limited form). I rewrote it a few years later and completely created a new playlist system (bypassed Winamps PL).

If I recall, LCDC can't do much more than script commands to Winamp - which means you're probably out of luck. If you can track down any specialized plugins which are written in C++, you might stand a chance. Winamp's website would be the best place to look.

Hope that helps. My old software is on my "old" website (check sig). It works quite well, but is rather alpha...
    http://www.jeepmp3.com/
    CarPC Stolen. Starting over.
    Ne1 recognize the avatar?

Comment

eh man. hopefully you have really looked into it and have your reason for doing an carputer instead of just using a mp3player.
      if there is not some special reason just go with an mp3player.

But i think i remember seeing like a 3.5 bay lcd screen that would interact with winamp

http://www.matrixorbital.com/index.php
      go look around there.
      Core duo
      1tb harddrive
      256 ddr
      8 lilliput
      bu-353

still installing...

Comment

LCDC has plugins for this. I think its called the PLS plugin, otherwise known as the playlist plugin.
        PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
        GammaControl v2.4
        SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

PatO - Thanks for the advice. It's nice to know this can be done. I used to work in VB and C++ a long time ago, so we'll see what happens. It'd be nice to avoid if possible though. The old website was great though - it offered some good suggestions (like changing the windows shell to Winamp).

84RegalRider - MP3 players just cost way too much money. Plus it doesn't give you the satisfaction of building something yourself.

01331 - I actually discovered this one last night shortly after I posted. I'm hoping that this will do what I need it to. I downloaded it, but haven't had much time yet to mess around with it.

One other thing I thought of (and I may be pushing my luck here)... Is there any hotkey plugin for winamp that you know of which would allow me to cycle through my EQ presets?

Comment

I've got the same username on LCDC forums... I used to do LCDC plugins sometime ago.
            PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
            GammaControl v2.4
            SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Thanks everyone. The PLS plugin was just about exactly what I was looking for.

Comment

Working...
              X