Police Scanner

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police Scanner

I was just wondering if anyone knows of anyone integrating a police scanner into there CarPC? Has anyone integrated any of the software to control your scanner into there frontend?

Cheers

Icom makes several pc-based wideband recievers. It's a seperate module that connects to the pc via a pci card. They come with all the necessary software for a windoze pc

Comment

I was under the impression that it's illegal to use a police scanner in a moving car, and they can arrest / ticket you for it unless you are actually involved with emergency services..

But yeah, i'd say it's possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Jahntassa
        I was under the impression that it's illegal to use a police scanner in a moving car, and they can arrest / ticket you for it unless you are actually involved with emergency services..

But yeah, i'd say it's possible.
        I hadnt heard that. Maybe in certain places. But if its a PCI card which is what I want, good luck catching me..

Comment

scanner legality

I know in pa and I understand in most other state's it's legal to have a moblie police scanner and use it in a car or anwere for that mater as long as it's not being used in a crime. ( it say's crime not felony ) so if you for what ever reason have a scanner don't be a idiot and run from jonny law or rob a bank it will get you nipped in the butt big time. other wise most of us law abiding folks don't have musch to worry about though.

Comment

if he wasnt doing anything illegal he wouldnt need the scanner lol hes probably a ricer.
            i got dat ***** sittin on 22s! SUPERMAN EDITION!

Comment

Originally posted by EsKALad
              if he wasnt doing anything illegal he wouldnt need the scanner lol hes probably a ricer.

Comment

coming from the guy guy with american rice... an escalade.. overpriced, gas juicing, useless 4x4....

everyone with a DVD burner runs a piracy ring too I take it?

Comment

lol ok than. what kind of car do you drive and pray do explain why you need a police scanner.

Comment

lol ok than. what kind of car do you drive and pray do explain why you need a police scanner.
                    I drive a Nissan Skyline GTR. Yea its Japanese but its in no way rice. The body is bone stock, but it does what it was made to do well... Go fast.

Your escalade. a 4x4. Does it do what most 4x4s are made to do? I think not..

I simply wanted the police scanner for a new toy.. Hear accidents around you (and hopefully avoid them). It was just another toy like most people on this forum...

But right now I have to get back to smuggling my drugs and other illegal activities...

Comment

Originally posted by SKiTLz
                      But right now I have to get back to smuggling my drugs and other illegal activities...

Comment

No offense but let's not turn this into a legal debate or a flame thread. Let's please get back on topic...

I believe alot of scanners have serial interfaces and software to program them and tune with them. If you search around google you may be able to find quite a bit. There is a new scanner out that has a GPS capability that will automatically select the frequencies of interest in your area. It may be possible to program it to do quite a few interesting things with that feature as well as it's "close call" feature that will only alert you with transmissions in your area. I might play with this sometime down the road but I've been tied up with other things.
                        Xenarc 7" USB Touch LCD / 3.06 GHz P4 / 512MB DDR / 250GB 7200RPM 16MB HD /
                        DS-ATX 220W / Centrafuse / GPS / XM / 802.11g: 6db / RF Keyboard

Comment

Yeah yeah, alright, no legalese :P

I have seen a serial based scanner, basically a little box that you control completely through the computer. It worked pretty well. I'm trying to see if I can find it for you..

Edit: The ICOM PCR-1000, here's a review: http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/3391

And the website: http://www.icomamerica.com/products/receivers/pcr1000/

There's one up on ebay right now:http://cgi.ebay.com/ICOM-PCR-1000_W0...QQcmdZViewItem

I'd really want to get one of these bad boys, if I weren't broke.

Comment

Originally posted by SKiTLz
                            I was just wondering if anyone knows of anyone integrating a police scanner into there CarPC? Has anyone integrated any of the software to control your scanner into there frontend?

Cheers
                            Around here the police/EMS use encrypted channels. Unless you get some crazy expensive scanning equipment or get them to program your radio for you, you will be SOL.

Wetzel

Comment

in no way did i mean that you dont have a nice car. and i never said my car was better than yours. a skyline is a sweet ride. what i meant was you have a car that you probably race in and thats why you want a police scanner to see where the cops are when your doing a 100mph on a side street.

Comment

Working...
                              X