The Ice Register

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ice Register

The theft of car audio and satellite navigation equipment is on the increase.

A team of three enthusiasts have created a unique website for the car audio community which allows people to register the details of their valuable equipment on a secure database, allowing potential buyers to check the authenticity of a piece of kit before buying it.

The aim is to make it so hard for thieves to sell stolen equipment, that your valuable audio and navigation equipment becomes much less of a tempting target.

Any questions? email [email protected] or [email protected], and we'll get back to you ASAP.

It's free to join, so sign up today at www.iceregister.co.uk!
    Leo

http://www.talkaudio.co.uk

A million people can't be wrong, right?

Well... unless they're all from the red states...

Definately sounds odd.....almost sounds like they want you to register your hardware in hopes of stealing it from you?

I mean, how easy will it be to
    'allowing potential buyers to check the authenticity of a piece of kit before buying it.'
    Are they going to search for a description of the item or something? I mean, how many units of each major piece of 'ICE' are there? I guess the original owner could some how scratch a serial number in their 'ICE'. But the seller wouldn't provide info like a serial number scratched into the part.

In terms of making it
    'make it so hard for thieves to sell stolen equipment, that your valuable audio and navigation equipment becomes much less of a tempting target.'
    I don't think that's possible. Look at cell phones.....when one is reported as stolen here in the states, it's still easy to get one reactivated. They have their own system of tracking stolen goods, which doesn't work well.

The website sounds like a great advertising ploy, just falls short on the effectivity of it's aim. Personally, there's no way I'd register there if I could.....sounds more like a scheme to get my address and info, to sell it to others to steal my stuff or something.

I wonder if they'd sell me back my stolen stuff? lol?
    www.mobile-effects.com

Free file hosting, picture gallery hosting for installs, PM me.

Internet's first Front End Skin browser, featured installs, downloads, links, informative articles - all free to registered users.

Comment

Hi Snyperbob,

The ICE Register was my idea, so I was asked to come over and clear up a few points raised in this thread.

First things first - I'm very definitely not out to steal equipment from anybody! I've been a member of the Talkaudio forums over in the UK for over four years now, and it just seemed like we were having threads appear about thefts on an almost weekly basis, which is quite gutting, especially when you've seen someone ask questions about their install...save up for the kit, install it and be over the moon with how it sounds...only for an opportunist thief to send a brick through the window, and in the space of a few minutes, undo months of work.

The majority of equipment you can buy will ship from the factory with a serial number. Every head unit I've seen has a unique serial stamped onto it...same applies with amplifiers, processors and even some subs as well. Some kit doesn't ship with a serial, which is why we provide a unique ICE Register identification number that people can mark their equipment with, allowing searches to be carried out on a wider array of kit.

Over here in the UK, mobile theft is quite common, but once a phone is stolen, it is locked from all networks. I can't be sure of the facts, but as I understand it, stolen phones are generally sold on, and then vanish into Europe where they can be reactivated. Not the same with ICE kit - something stolen in Leeds can be sold on in Birmingham the next day, in perfect working order.

I'm sorry to see that you think this is all a huge marketing ploy - and even more saddened to hear that you think we're somehow trying to make it easier for equipment to be stolen. The reason we're doing this is because - to the best of my knowledge - it has never been done before, and to my mind, if just one person gets their stolen kit back because of our site...or even if one potential thief is put off because he thinks he won't be able to sell on someone's audio equipment, then the whole venture has been entirely worthwhile.

Despite your concerns, why not have a read of the site anyway and see if you can get a feel for what we're trying to achieve. It won't be easy, and there's no guarantees it will work at all, but there's the chance that it might make a difference, and that's why we've launched it.

Cheers
      Ben

Comment

It's a good idea, but good luck with convincing people to use it, let alone the thousands of people who buy

Comment

Originally posted by Benny79
          I'm sorry to see that you think this is all a huge marketing ploy - and even more saddened to hear that you think we're somehow trying to make it easier for equipment to be stolen. The reason we're doing this is because - to the best of my knowledge - it has never been done before
          Hey Ben,
          I do agree it's a great concept. However, it seems my notion about your site being a marketing ploy is true. You have two banners for other sites on your homepage alone. On top of that, you offer a pay-for service.

Looks like the site is starting to pick up - hope it proves to be a successful business

If people choose, they can also become an Advanced Member. This costs just 5 per year
          www.mobile-effects.com

Internet's first Front End Skin browser, featured installs, downloads, links, informative articles - all free to registered users.

Comment

Nothing stops ebay.........
            2005 Ford Mustang GT <- - - UPDATED PICTURES

2003 KAWASAKI Z1000 - CUSTOM MODZ

MBK (AIM = IllMBKllI)

Comment

Originally posted by mbkowns
              Nothing stops ebay.........
              Exactly, that's what I was talking about in my original post.

But the seller wouldn't provide info like a serial number scratched into the part.
              Not to mention what they do with your personal info, rofl...

We may need to pass your information to third parties who help us to maintain, administer or develop the Web Site, and to collate data to assist in identifying high risk equipment but, if so, that information is only given to those third parties for that limited purpose.

The Ice Register reserves the right to access and disclose personal data or information to operate its systems properly, or to protect itself or its users.

And so on....
              www.mobile-effects.com

Comment

ya sounds like a thieves network to come own our ****.. aka take your sats and shove it
                2005 Ford Mustang GT <- - - UPDATED PICTURES

2003 KAWASAKI Z1000 - CUSTOM MODZ

MBK (AIM = IllMBKllI)

Comment

Fishy at least.... scam for private info is almost certain!!!

No way would I use that. Even if you paid me.
                  TruckinMP3
                  D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

Well I'm sorry to see there is still negativity surrounding the site.

We do take banner adverts, because we need to cover our costs...while I'd like nothing more than to see theft reduced in the UK, I'm unfortunately not rich enough to do everything off of my own back. The banner adverts aren't making us a huge amount of money...they bring in just about enough to pay for the hosting every month. If you can think of a better way to do this, then please do let me know.

There's nothing I can do to convince you that we're not "on the take" and I'm genuinely sorry about that. Luckily, there are people who do believe in what we're trying to achieve, and so far, they've been fantastic, providing constructive feedback about how we can do things differently.

We have had several major developments in the last few weeks, all of which will hopefully have a positive impact on the community as a whole. We've also got some good press in an industry magazine called In Car Nation, which you can go buy from your local car audio retailer.

There's really not a whole lot more I can say to reassure you that our intentions are good. Hopefully - if the idea does take off - you'll one day realise what we're trying to do by doing this. Incidentally, we're a UK based website, so MBKOWNS - you can sleep safe at night in the knowledge that if I wanted to steal your equipment, I'd have to buy myself an airline ticket first...hardly worth the hassle, don't you think?

Ben

Comment

I guess every time I hear people talk about covering hosting costs I'm a little stand-offish, UNLESS is a rather large site, like this one for instance.

For instance, I have 12 gigs of space, 10 gig a day t-fer and 300 gigs a month. All for less than $6 a month.

how much space/ bandwidth are you taking up that would cause the costs to be more than a few bucks a month? Maybe it's just me being naive on the space and bandwidth requirements of your site?
                      Jan Bennett
                      FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

One major question is privacy, how sure can anyone be that you don't sell their information OR better yet, that your site is secure enough not to get hacked. Remember, you're in a shared enviroment, you can have the host themself, other clients, or even anonymous people steal the info from your site. See, nothing is 100% secure no matter how hard you try someone WILL steal things if they want it.

All in all, I wouldn't register with the site because the concept is that the buyer of equipment would need to check the database. Chance are if something is stolen it is being sold for way less than value (pawn show or out of some guys car) and you already get the feeling that something is not legit about it. The people who buy stolen goods simply don't care who it was stolen from, they care that it is theirs now.

Comment

Originally posted by TruckinMP3
                          Fishy at least.... scam for private info is almost certain!!!

No way would I use that. Even if you paid me.

I see no reason or benefit at all for this service.
                          TruckinMP3
                          D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

The cost of hosting over here is a fair bit more than in the US.

We did have a "basic" hosting service, but we had a lot of people ask questions - as above - about the security of the site. So we moved from an inexpensive hosting service to a pricier one - the advantage being that the box we have available was installed and configured by us, and lives in a secure data centre in Docklands...surrounded by a lot of machines with much more valuable data!

Two of the guys on the ICE Register team - myself included - are experienced IT professionals, and we have taken measures to ensure our data is as secure as it can possibly be. The box on which the site is hosted has been set up by us, tweaked by us, and extensively penetration-tested by us, as well as by an independent security expert, who has confirmed that the site is as secure as it can be.

I'd be interested to know what other measures we could take though...people are paranoid about thieves cracking a secure website, stealing the database and targetting cars - a perfectly valid concern - and yet I can almost guarantee that these people throw their credit card statements straight in the bin without shredding them...or who allow websites to "remember" their visa card details...or who don't double check to make sure nobody is standing behind them at the cashpoint...I think for the most part, it is just "e-paranoia" at work...and believe me, a healthy sense of cynicism is no bad thing!

At the end of the day, any secure system is only as strong as its weakest link - and generally speaking, that's the organic link in the chain. There's nothing we can do about that though...the majority of car audio theft (at least, in the UK) is due to opportunistic thieves seeing someone's left the face on their HU, or who show off and draw attention to themselves. I would think it unlikely that any criminal gang who has the intelligence and skill to crack a secure webserver and go hunting for car audio gear wouldn't be inclined to choose a more lucrative target though - especially as they'd still have to track down the vehicles and break into them in order to steal a relatively small amount of equipment?

Splash-X is quite correct though. There will always be people who buy "hot" goods simply because they're cheap. We can't do anything about this. However, if we can get the message out to stop people from buying stolen kit that they think is legitimate, then we're succeeding in our mission. But yeah...the sad fact is that people will always buy stuff from "some bloke in the pub" without checking if it's genuine or not. That's something we unfortunately have to accept. However, if we can make sure that the mainstream "disposal" methods (Cash Converters, eBay, Forums listings, classified adverts) are more difficult to use...then maybe - just maybe - we'll make some of these thieving scrotes think twice before they stick a brick through your window!

Ben

Comment

Working...
                            X