car dash repair

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• car dash repair

any idea on what kind of filler to use to patch this?

Hm, wouldn't it just be easier / better to get a new dash piece? Check a junk yard or something and you probably could get a good deal.
    MP3 Cavalier - http://www.mp3cavalier.com
    MP3 Grand Prix - http://www.mp3gp.com

Comment

only one i found was the wrong color

Comment

Yea, that looks pretty harsh. I wouldn't suspect anything would hold that together under 120+ degree heat. Sorry dude, maybe a local scrap yard would have something?!?!

Comment

You could get a dash from the wrecking yards, and then get some acrilic paint and make it match your interior. A friend of mine did this, and it looks prity damn good.
          The down side is that you may have to paint some other parts to make it blend in
          http://www.mp3vl.tk Plans and progress on my install - (Updated 28 June 02)
          Australian mp3car Portal
          mp3car related links Check them out / Add some
          mp3car FAQ - RTFF

[########==]80% Assembling
          -=Current Progress: Working Sproggy supply, building box.=-

Comment

Originally posted by hornet
            You could get a dash from the wrecking yards, and then get some acrilic paint and make it match your interior. A friend of mine did this, and it looks prity damn good.
            The down side is that you may have to paint some other parts to make it blend in

k, cool that's pretty muych what I need to know

Comment

Since you're probably going to replace the dash anyway, why not see how some brown duct-tape looks?
              Of course, using silver duct-tape will insure that no theives will try breaking in!
              http://www.jeepmp3.com/
              CarPC Stolen. Starting over.
              Ne1 recognize the avatar?

Comment

Originally posted by PatO
                Since you're probably going to replace the dash anyway, why not see how some brown duct-tape looks?
                Of course, using silver duct-tape will insure that no theives will try breaking in!
                might be a cheap ghetto-fix to last me ~3 weeks till spring break

Comment

Originally posted by bgoodman

might be a cheap ghetto-fix to last me ~3 weeks till spring break
                  What? Haven't you ever seen the Red-Green show?
                  Don't knock the duct-tape. It may just save your life someday.
                  http://www.jeepmp3.com/
                  CarPC Stolen. Starting over.
                  Ne1 recognize the avatar?

Comment

Originally posted by bgoodman
                    only one i found was the wrong color
                    Originally posted by hornet
                    I don't know if I'd use acrilic paint. I'd probably try vinyl dye. It comes in a spray can and it may adhear to the vinyl better.
                    j
                    j's MP3Car.com Web Site
                    [######----] 60% complete (1st try)

Comment

How abut getting a piece of vinyl from a car upholstery shop to match your interior. then, throw it in a clothes dryer for awhile to soften it up. bend it, tug it to fit. then contact cement it to the old top and there you go! if you need to fill the cracks in, just use some silicone. squirt it in and wipe it off to be even with the top edge.
                      99.9% complete.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/212327

Comment

Originally posted by albysure
                        How abut getting a piece of vinyl from a car upholstery shop to match your interior. then, throw it in a clothes dryer for awhile to soften it up. bend it, tug it to fit. then contact cement it to the old top and there you go! if you need to fill the cracks in, just use some silicone. squirt it in and wipe it off to be even with the top edge.
                        sounds as good as anything else

Comment

You all have no ambition. That dash could be fixed with body filler available from Pep Boys, NAPA, Advance Auto Parts quite readily. I have done something like this in the past with a friend's '82 Volkswagen Rabbit and it came out very well. Though, of course the entire thing needed repainting afterwards. Junkyards aren't always the cheapest solution especially if you have a newer car. I recently spent $60 getting new door sills for my 1997 malibu from a junkyard. I have no doubt that that dash I see in those pics could be fixed with body filler, of course it won't be as good as getting another piece, but from looking at it from the outside it could look good as new. Depends how much time you want to spend on it.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperMatty
                            You all have no ambition. That dash could be fixed with body filler available from Pep Boys, NAPA, Advance Auto Parts quite readily. I have done something like this in the past with a friend's '82 Volkswagen Rabbit and it came out very well. Though, of course the entire thing needed repainting afterwards. Junkyards aren't always the cheapest solution especially if you have a newer car. I recently spent $60 getting new door sills for my 1997 malibu from a junkyard. I have no doubt that that dash I see in those pics could be fixed with body filler, of course it won't be as good as getting another piece, but from looking at it from the outside it could look good as new. Depends how much time you want to spend on it.
                            I'll take the dash out later and take some more pictures of it

Thanks for the suggestion, I have this week more or less to worl on it

Comment

the new pics

3rd times a charm

Comment

Working...
                              X