Engine Start button?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Start button?

I was thinking of adding an engine start button to my car, which is quite easy btw, and I had an epiphany. Why couldn't I just change the push button to a finger print scanner for the most in car security!! All the ones I have seen though are USB. Do you guys think that I need to install the computer before adding this in order for it to work? Anyone done this or tried this before? The USB scanners I think are more intended for password bypasses for websites and the such.
    Alan
    '01 Red Trans Am WS6 A4

System: Alpine CDA-7876, Alpine 12 disc cd changer, JL 1000.1, JL 450.4, x2 JL 10w6v2, x2 Digital 1 farad caps, Custom fiberglass enclosures and amp racks, MB Quart Qs

Hey, I've got the same car as you, awesome.
    Actually I'm working on a project right now that is doing just that. One step beyond though in that i am using RF for proxemity to start the computer and unlock the doors and the fingerprint scanner to start the car. I'll post more when I get this dang thing working...
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am Firebird WS6

Comment

Just remember:

you'd have to wait for your carputer to fully boot in order to use the fingerprint scanner.

You'd prolly be better off buying a biometric deadbolt lock and hacking it.
      Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
      Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
      I'M DEBT FREE!!
      I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

Originally posted by KE5AFU
        Hey, I've got the same car as you, awesome.
        Actually I'm working on a project right now that is doing just that. One step beyond though in that i am using RF for proxemity to start the computer and unlock the doors and the fingerprint scanner to start the car. I'll post more when I get this dang thing working...

http://www.bmezine.com/news/presenttense/20050330.html

Comment

why didnt he just put the bloody thing in he's wrist watch. idiot

Comment

what a wuss! he got a doctor to do it for him!

Comment

Yeah I stuck a starter button in my old car. For some reason even after a year of having it I still enjoyed pressing it to start the car Sometimes I think the word 'cool' will never die
              -----------------
              Dashboard Monkey - CarPC News, reviews, installs and more
              -----------------

Comment

Originally posted by itrends
                Yeah I stuck a starter button in my old car. For some reason even after a year of having it I still enjoyed pressing it to start the car Sometimes I think the word 'cool' will never die
                Agreed, I bought an OEM engine start button for a Honda S2000 from the dealership parts counter, and had a friend help me install it. We did the install 3 years ago, and its still just as fun to use. Friends see it and ask if it works, so I gladly demonstrate. Also, the words "Engine Start" light up when you turn on the headlights.

And for those who thing its just for cosmetic purposes, it did save me once when I was stranded because the starter switch died (the thing that starts the car when you crank the key). Since the button over-rode the "cranking" function of the key, I was still able to start the car, and get it home for fixing the next day.

Comment

why bother

get the real deal here,

http://www.automobile-security.com/products.htm

Comment

The sister company of the company I work for sell lots of biometric security stuff

they are at

www.ringdale.com

Dave
                    -----------------
                    Dashboard Monkey - CarPC News, reviews, installs and more
                    -----------------

Comment

i wouldnt go with the scanner to start your car. an alarm remote start would be best.
                      Core duo
                      1tb harddrive
                      256 ddr
                      8 lilliput
                      bu-353

still installing...

Comment

Akuma, did you ever add this to your ride?

I'm considering adding this to crank & unluck doors.

The retail version is $400!!!!! Thats crazy, I know it can be made cheaper than that, especially since we'll have carputers.

I did run across someone who added a finger print scanner to his notebook. He used a Sony scanner, does anyone know of another scanner which will work with MAC's?

Comment

hmm, this could be an intresting concept. Add in one of those aux remote start boxes, and have it setup to turn on your carputer when you press a button on the remote. The go to the car, and proceed to unlock your doors and crank engine with a biometric scanner running on that pc. If all else fails, you could always have your key backup.

Comment

Working...
                          X