Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving Car PC from Subaru Impreza to Subaru WRX?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving Car PC from Subaru Impreza to Subaru WRX?

So my car engine developed a serious tapping sound due to me forgetting to add oil for a while. Adding oil mostly eliminated it bar a bit of a rattle at startup and a little bit of tapping around 3000 revs if I rev it in neutral.

Time to trade it in for a newer model while I still can (a new engine will be ~$6k!).

I currently have my setup arranged as follows:
    1. 7.2Ah battery behind the stock HUD / cubby hole.
    2. Wiring, USB hub, shutdown controller in the center console between the seats.
    3. Car PC in custom case that just fits under the passenger seat.
    4. Lilliput 8" lcd still temporarily mounted in the hole left when you remove the opening mini-glove box you get on the Subaru Impreza's.

The WRX (if I remember correctly) has a very different AC/heating arrangement in the dask and has a clock where the mini-glove box in the top of the dash is.

Anyone know from my woefully inadequate description above whether I'd have issues moving my Car PC into a WRX?
    Progress: 80% - Permanent install left.
    Motion LS800 Tablet PC and dock.
    Vista, Bu-535 GPS, RoadRunner, MPT2006.

shouldnt have too many issues.
    the 8" is gonna be a tough one i think
    post some pics of you set up and maybe i can help out
    what year WRX are you thinking about?

i have an 05wrx w/ liliput 7". it installed right in the bezel with little to no problem. and everything is in the trunk

jwu

Comment

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...2&postcount=25

Here's a link to where the current temporary monitor mount is. Since I took these pictures, I took out a tiny amount of plastic so I could slot the monitor firmly in place in the hole in my dash.

The WRX has the same hole just with a clock mounted in it (you can replace it with a HUD or fancy gauges - I'm thinking I'll just continue with my plans to to mount my screen there).

Comment

Another thing. Currently I'm still using the stock hud with a tape adaptor. Sound quality was suprisingly good (enough that I haven't replace my radio) but the tape noise does bug me. Does the stock radio in a WRX come with an AUX in since (I believe) it's CD only. Plus if I'm reinstallling from scratch, I'd rather eliminate the tape adaptor .

Comment

All Subarus besides Baja comes with no ability to install CD changer or aux
          Car pc integration with ease
          Car mediacenter

Comment

Originally posted by jbors
            All Subarus besides Baja comes with no ability to install CD changer or aux
            Actually if you got the 6 disk in dash changers that were available on all Subaru's 02-present (I think, well at least 02-03) had a plug in back for an external CD changer. Although I have never seen one.

There is however no Aux in.

Comment

Heres what i am doing to my WRX - http://www.wrx-carpc.co.uk

Regards,

Steve
              System - Epia SP13000 for Main PC, Holux GR-213 USB GPS Receiver SiRF Star III, 2.4Ghz Uplink with VNC and Custom designed USB Intelligent SDC (In DEV). All fed to a Sony CDX-F7500 Headunit via USB. www.wrx-carpc.co.uk

Comment

Working...
              X