cool little gimmicks for your car

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cool little gimmicks for your car

i'd like to start a list of relatively cheap mods that you can to to your car that are worth more than they cost. or... look cooler than they cost

ill start:

-hardwiring a power inverter. on most power inverters that you buy at walmart, the outlets are actually removable - you can take the thing apart, extend the wires to one or both outlets, and put them wherever you want, and it will look OEM
    carputer - done.

Run your car into traffic and claim insurance.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLlama
      Run your car into traffic and claim insurance.
      Nice.. I needed a laugh today.
      -Jack
      2006 Chrysler 300C AWD
      Samsung Galaxy Tab In dash

Comment

hrmm - the inverter thing has been done, had it in my original install....back before there was a viable dc-dc PSU....

but why anyone would run an inverter in their car to power a computer I don't know....so messy....:|
        Jan Bennett
        FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Originally posted by Red GTi VR6
          hrmm - the inverter thing has been done, had it in my original install....back before there was a viable dc-dc PSU....

but why anyone would run an inverter in their car to power a computer I don't know....so messy....:|
          i didnt say for a carputer...

for convernience on long trips with friends... laptops/ cell phone chargers/ etc
          carputer - done.

Comment

because there are some small form factor PCs that have too high of power consumption to be powered any other way (like by a DC-DC power supply). Sumicom SP620 is a good example.

Comment

I understand higher performance computers, but honnestly, what's the need in the car? just the fact that you would have to run an inverter would be enough to turn me off. Not to mention, what are you going to do with such a higher performance computer in the car?

game on a 7" screen?
              Jan Bennett

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Can of spray paint: $2
                StreetDeck.com Developer (I am Chuck)
                Get StreetDeck at http://www.streetdeck.com
                The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at http://www.streetdeck.com/forum for official support for Streetdeck.

Comment

Super bright LEDs

Comment

Originally posted by god_of_cpu
                    Can of spray paint: $2
                    that's more than one can there!

Jan Bennett

Comment

I understand higher performance computers, but honnestly, what's the need in the car? just the fact that you would have to run an inverter would be enough to turn me off. Not to mention, what are you going to do with such a higher performance computer in the car?
                      Ummm...6 hard drives to hold 11,000+ music videos.

Comment

I guess.......
                        Jan Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by TheLandYacht
                          where do you get your music videos, the usual places?

if most videos available on the net werent crap quality i might consider downloading more
                          carputer - done.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLandYacht

you don't even specify the size of the harddrives. for all we know they could be 6 HDs with 7gb each. that would be great...

Comment

I've already done all of these:

1.) Inverter as you mentioned for cell phone chargers, etc... ($30 Walmart)

2.) cathodes for interior lighting ($10 for cathodes / $3 for wire extensions)

3.) convenient or in-dash locations for ipod/cd player/flash drives for alternate data ($6 for bondo, dremel you typically already have, paint = $2)

4.) sound-sensitive lighting/strobes for parking lot fun
                              ($10 for lights / $3 for wire extensions)

5.) convenient place to plug in your buddy's xbox/ps2/etc
                              (inverter / extensions / RCA+VGA extensions...)

any type of interior lights always impresses.
                              1995 Ford Mustang Convertible
                              DSATX | Shuttle XPC SN41G2Bv2 | 619GL-70NP | CF 1.6 (which is still unusable in the car!)

Comment

Working...
                              X