Electronic interference and computers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electronic interference and computers

So, I've been talking with one of the guys at work who is interested in getting into carPCs. One of his big concerns is the interference issues with the PC.

he keeps thinking that he HAS to have a case for his PC otherwise he'll run into interference and the PC will have problems.

I keep telling him I haven't had any issues and I'm not running a case, and that I don't recal anyone having any of these issues.

It got me to thinking and I just wanted to post up and see...

has anyone run into any issues along these lines?

I don't think it's as big of a deal as he's thinking it to be, but I wanted to get some input from other people who were more knowledgeable about this topic than I am.
    Jan Bennett
    FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

No case, no problems.

Have my motherboard mounted on the side of my sub box. No issues so far knock on wood. Don't even have any whine.

Comment

how long have you had it like this Wamphyri?
      Jan Bennett
      FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

I have a case for mine, but ironically enough only to have someplace to mount the cooling fans and prevent any dirt from falling into any of the moving parts. If my board was mounted on its side, I don't think I would have bothered with a case.
        My Worklog

Comment

no case and seemingly no problems after 7 months
          My install... check it out!

www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56599

Comment

The only interferance problem I've had is with my gyration mouse and keyboard. They work fine in the house but refuse to work in the car. Other than that no problems and my motherboard is less than a foot from my 12w7 and 1000 watt amp.

Comment

Multiple years in use, no trouble with interfearance or ground loops.
              The case has changed over time but in no way would have changed the EMI of the PC. One case was made of foamcore (see the project link) No sheilding in that case. Currently runing caseless.
              TruckinMP3
              D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

I have a case made of plexiglass, and my radio reception goes to ***** when I turn on the CarPC. Additionally, my alarm won't trigger from my keyfob until the CarPC is fully shut off. So, yes, radio interference can be a problem.

Dave
                2005 Infiniti G35 6MT Coupe Black/Black
                Core Duo CarPC
                CarDomain page

Comment

your friend is probibly referring to older model pcs, which reportedly would mess with radios and what not if they did not have the case around them... But we have moved into a new age, so not having a case doesnt really do any harm other than allowing physical damage from anything imaginable
                  nGhost - The FREE Frontend for Linux | Graphics Developer
                  Linux ICE - The Car PC Distro | Team Member

Comment

Have had mine installed for a couple of months. No problems with the carpc side but you can blast some home cordless phones if you aren't carefull. The RFI gets worse as CPU cycles goes up. Most of the problem is with phones that are in the 2.4 - 2.6 Ghz range... sounds just like my CPU at 2.66Ghz right?

Comment

Part of my problem might be my high powered wireless (400 mW) card, or my PC at 2.26 GHZ

Dave
                      2005 Infiniti G35 6MT Coupe Black/Black
                      Core Duo CarPC
                      CarDomain page

Comment

No case, no GPS reception when the antenna is nearby. No problem with groundloops but definitely an issue with GPS antenna.
                        Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                        I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                        Want to:
                        -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                        -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

My GPS (BU303) and XM Terk antenna are on the front dash. The motherboard is mounted in the back on the side of the sub box. No reception problems with either one.

Comment

That was my solution, too. Separate ends of the car. Also experienced interference with the GPS antenna when it was too close to the Xenarc screen (unshielded and out of the case and bezel)
                            Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                            I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                            Want to:
                            -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                            -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

I haven't had any real problems except some HDD whine on boot up.
                              There is an option in most modern BIOSs (Award definately) called "Spread Spectrum" which is designed to do just that with RFI emission.

Just for the record my case is 1.5mm aluminium and the PC (2.4 Sempron) is in the back of the car with the amp.
                              www.debthelpexpert.org

Comment

Working...
                              X