HELP PLEASE! Car just died...rpm is stuck

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP PLEASE! Car just died...rpm is stuck

I'm at work and i decide to take a break. I get in my car and start it, put it in reverse, move about two feet and the car shuts off by itself. The rpm needle stayed where it was and so did the gas needle. The lights in my car won't work and the little orange light next to the "P" on the shifter isn't even on.

My car is completely dead and i can't even open my trunk to check the battery because i have a rear view camera in the keyhole and the remote on my key is the only way.

When i turn the key, nothing happens...no noises, so i think that the problem might be bigger than my battery being dead. Does anybody have any ideas?

I need help FAST...im stuck here at work....
    PostCount++

- SrCsTc's Bezel
    - Alpine W200/H701
    - ED Nine.2X
    - OZ Matrix Elites
    - ED Nine.1
    - Idmax 12's

I figure that the alternator only charges the battery when the car is on, and since none of the lights work with the car off....it can't be the alternator.

The car started before it died...so i'm also figuring that the battery has charge and is not dead.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!
    PostCount++

- SrCsTc's Bezel
    - Alpine W200/H701
    - ED Nine.2X
    - OZ Matrix Elites
    - ED Nine.1
    - Idmax 12's

Comment

I suggest calling an automotive electrical expert.
      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
      How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Get under the hood and check your fusebox, might be one of the master fuses, but you really need to get to your battery to be sure of anything
        肚子笑痛了
        S60 Install

Comment

do you have AAA?
          1990 Jeep Cherokee
          2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
          2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert
            I suggest calling an automotive electrical expert.
            I'm calling all of the electrical experts i know right now....the mp3car electrical experts...lol.

Originally posted by Enforcer
            get a set of jump leads and connect to the points under the bonnet and connect to another car. and see if that helps.
            What's a bonnet? My battery is in my trunk and i can't open it, but i think there is a way to jump my car from under the hood...is that the bonnet ur talking about? If so, where the negative (i found the positive already).

Originally posted by jcdillin
            Get under the hood and check your fusebox, might be one of the master fuses, but you really need to get to your battery to be sure of anything
            I just had an idea. If i jumper cable my car from another car or the AAA truck, won't that give me enough power to pop my trunk with the remote?

If there is a bad ground and that's the cause, what would happen if i tried to jump it?

Originally posted by WebDog
            do you have AAA?
            My gf does....she's on her way, but i wish i could diagnose the problem before calling the AAA guy so that i can know if they'd be able to help.
            PostCount++

- SrCsTc's Bezel
            - Alpine W200/H701
            - ED Nine.2X
            - OZ Matrix Elites
            - ED Nine.1
            - Idmax 12's

Comment

Originally posted by Enforcer
              get a set of jump leads and connect to the points under the bonnet and connect to another car. and see if that helps.
              do the beemers have jumper points under the hood since the battery is in the truck?

(I vaguely remember something about this)
              Jan Bennett
              FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Originally posted by Red GTi VR6
                do the beemers have jumper points under the hood since the battery is in the truck?

(I vaguely remember something about this)
                Yeah, they do...i remember the dealer telling me this when i bought the car, but i can only seem to find the positive terminal.
                PostCount++

- SrCsTc's Bezel
                - Alpine W200/H701
                - ED Nine.2X
                - OZ Matrix Elites
                - ED Nine.1
                - Idmax 12's

Comment

google? beemer forum? owners manual?
                  Jan Bennett
                  FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Originally posted by 3onDubs
                    What's a bonnet? My battery is in my trunk and i can't open it, but i think there is a way to jump my car from under the hood...is that the bonnet ur talking about? If so, where the negative (i found the positive already).
                    Your whole car is negative just clamp it to the engine block or exposed frame.
                    1990 Jeep Cherokee
                    2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
                    2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by 3onDubs
                      Yeah, they do...i remember the dealer telling me this when i bought the car, but i can only seem to find the positive terminal.
                      Red jumper to positive lead. Black jumper to the chassis or some other grounding point.
                      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                      How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by Red GTi VR6
                        google? beemer forum? owners manual?
                        Im on a BMW forum right now as well and i posted the same thread...lol. I'm not attacking the people on that site im on, but they don't give much help. The only answers i got were...."battery???" and "alternator?"....lol.

The owner's manual is at my house and i'm here...(as i look for the smiley only to realize that mp3car.com doesn't have it)
                        PostCount++

- SrCsTc's Bezel
                        - Alpine W200/H701
                        - ED Nine.2X
                        - OZ Matrix Elites
                        - ED Nine.1
                        - Idmax 12's

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert
                          Red jumper to positive lead. Black jumper to the chassis or some other grounding point.

For sure....thanks a lot. I've always seen people jump cars off both battery terminals, but i wondered if it was necessary with the negative since the battery is grounded to the chasis anyway.

Do you think it's safe to jump if the problem is a bad ground? I don't think that's the problem, but just in case.
                          PostCount++

- SrCsTc's Bezel
                          - Alpine W200/H701
                          - ED Nine.2X
                          - OZ Matrix Elites
                          - ED Nine.1
                          - Idmax 12's

Comment

Working...
                          X