Best format for Movies?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best format for Movies?

I have a bunch of DVD's and want to put them on my car's HDD for viewing while on vacation, for my gf....

What are the best / easiest ways to transfer movies onto the HDD?
    Jim
    2012 Honda Pilot (In Progress)
    2010 Honda Accord (After the Pilot)
    2008 Honda VTX1800N

First of all you will need to get:
    XviD Codec
    DVDx
    Then follow this fairly simple guide:
    Afonic XviD DVD Rip guide

This is from the peerweb.org forums. I've done it and it works perfectly -- it just takes a while.
    2002 Grand Am progress :
    [] - 80%
    ...complete setup, but still need to make the install cleaner

Comment

ty
      Jim
      2012 Honda Pilot (In Progress)
      2010 Honda Accord (After the Pilot)
      2008 Honda VTX1800N

Comment

I'd say get a subscription to newgroups and newzbin...it'll be faster to download than convert DVDs to Xvid/Divx... I can download 15 movies in the time it takes me to convert a DVD to Xvid...of course, I'm not suggesting piracy, just download those movies you own of course ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by mercury7
          XviD Codec
          DVDx

This is from the peerweb.org forums. I've done it and it works perfectly -- it just takes a while.

Thats the hard way. Just get the Xvid Codec and Apollo DVD Backup. Done.

Comment

i found some dvd rip thing on torrent. Works great for me. But definately xvid is best codec
            nGhost - The FREE Frontend for Linux | Graphics Developer
            Linux ICE - The Car PC Distro | Team Member

Comment

I would have to add another vote to xvid. It is the best!
              Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
              1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
              30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
              15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
              Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

I use DVD Decrypter to rip from DVD in about 12-15 minutes and then use AutoGK to convert to xvid in about an hour and a half.
                7" Lilli TS, Soyo K7VME, Semperon 2200, 160GB Maxtor, 512mb PC3200, Deluo GPS, Panasonic Slim DVD/CD RW, Linksys WMP545G , Opus 150w, XMDirect, XP Pro, FP, IG [XXXXXXXXX-] 90%
                ATVMS.com

Comment

How big are these xvid movie files?
                  My first carPC!
                  MP3/CD player
                  Celeron 633MHz - 10GB Seagate - 64MB PC100 - Win XP

Soon to actually find its way into the car!

Comment

A full length movie around 700Mb sometimes even smaller. And full quality too, not crappy pixelated stuff.
                    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more

Comment

Originally posted by mercury7
                      XviD Codec
                      DVDx

Excellent suggestion. I have tried this and reckon it's perfect. Good quality, doesn't require a huge file size, downside is it takes a while.

Panda
                      Car - Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo, footwell lights, Pioneer front speakers
                      Carputer- P3 966MHz, 256MB RAM, 200GB HDD, 300W PSU

Comment

With your setup you could easily go with RatDVD. That's what I use to back up to my HTPC, but my M10k can't handle the playback load. It preserves the menus, you can easily decompress them later if you ever need to, and it's the simplest process around.

For Xvid, which is what mine are for my carpc, 1.4GB is the minimum for good quality IMO, since I always keep the 5.1 AC3 track. 700MB doesn't cut it even for a 7" screen.
                        In progress: M10000; Travla c134; Xenarc 700TSV; Hitachi 80GB 2.5"; 256MB ULP; M2-ATX; ITPS; Powermate; iKEY SL-88 KB; Holux GM-210; Audiobahn ADD51T w/ COAX/optical converter; Road Runner; iGuidance 2.1

Comment

Damn that's a big file!!

Originally posted by fonseca
                          700MB doesn't cut it even for a 7" screen.

I don't know how your compressing your movies but a 700Mb xVid with good sound can hold almost a perfect picture. My 17" laptop screen shows no problems at all, and my big HDTV (50") that I connect to sometimes barely shows anything but a perfect picture. On the big TV, you can tell it's not HD, but it looks pretty damn good!

I think the problem is how you encode it. You can encode for speed or for quality. Also you can do something (forget what it's called) but it encodes then goes back over it a few times to get the size real small without dropping any quality.

If you go to some torrent sites and look at there movies, most are in xVid, and only about 650Mb to 900mb and they look great. Download one and see if it is just the way you compress it or what. I'm curious because if an xVid file is 1.5Gb, you might as well be using uncompressed avi!!!

Comment

I recently converted to using Nero's digital. It takes about 45minutes to encode a dvd down to 350mb using the cinema setting. I was using Dr. Divx but that took 7 hours on my POS PC. It's an mp4 format so it took some trial and error to get them to play in WMP but I finally got it.
                            Car-mada-puter Epia MII12000, 40gig HD, 512mb ram, Morex 3688 case, M1-atx and XP Pro.

Comment

I recommend you try it yourself Toaster. You seem to have overlooked the fact that I only use the AC3 sound tracks, which is often as large as 300mb or more. Your downloaded rips likely use low bitrate stereo mp3, which are much smaller of course. Your 700mb rip may look good, but the 1.4gb will look significantly better. Is it twice as good? No, but for many films, especially those that have a lot of dark scenes, it's a big difference, and can get rid of a lot of annoying artifacts. I always encode for quality, not speed, with multiple passes. And hard drive space is cheap.

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster
                              if an xVid file is 1.5Gb, you might as well be using uncompressed avi!!!
                              Well, not that cheap! I hope you're joking.
                              In progress: M10000; Travla c134; Xenarc 700TSV; Hitachi 80GB 2.5"; 256MB ULP; M2-ATX; ITPS; Powermate; iKEY SL-88 KB; Holux GM-210; Audiobahn ADD51T w/ COAX/optical converter; Road Runner; iGuidance 2.1

Comment

Working...
                              X