MP3 bitrate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MP3 bitrate

Heres something i've never seen on here before. how critical are you guys with your sound. when i download MP3's i only use bitrates over 128. i do know that the 192kb MP3's sound better. so..i was just wondering what everybody uses in their carputers. is it whatever they can get to get the music on their hard drive or do you go for the better sound.

my system is now ready to be instaled in my car this spring. right now its stripped down to the metal ready for the dynamat. i am building it as if i were to compete in usac. i am planning on only using the carputer with no head unit. if i do compete i will definently have to compare it to a cd head unit.
    99.9% complete.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/212327

Re: MP3 bitrate

anything from 128 - 192's. I do most of my downloading over a cable connection nowadays so I strive for 192kps always. When ripping/encoding I always use 192kps. It does sound much better...
    Project - GAME OVER :(

Comment

yes, try and get 192kbps, most new songs are ripped at 192. I notice a difference when i am in the car. I have been told that cd quality is 170kbps.
      2004 F-150
      Shuttle XPC, 80gig HD, Wireless Internet, DVD
      "How piMP3d is your ride??"

Comment

Originally posted by RaZor
        yes, try and get 192kbps, most new songs are ripped at 192. I notice a difference when i am in the car. I have been told that cd quality is 170kbps.
        Depends on what you're using to rip with. The current batch of GNU speed rippers (Blade/LAME/etc) get "near CD quality" at 128kps. Fraunhoffer claimed CD quality at 128kpbs with their HQ setting. PCM CD Quality is 172kbps (WAV format)

Comment

High Quality VBR (VBR 0)

it changes betwen 32-320 kbps, depending on what's needed.
          www.arbybean.com

Comment

only ripped my own cd's and i use 256.....
            Volvo V40 Phase 2 2002. T4 turbo upgrade.... currently no mp3 or carputer..... researching options

Comment

Originally posted by spud42
              only ripped my own cd's and i use 256.....
              That is just a little bit i\over the top if you ask me.. all my mp3s are like 128 and 160, I don't think that any better is really nessisarry CDs are like 160..
              2 week temp ban (spam and complaining about deleted posts)
              register another account and you're gone for good.

Comment

I notice anything less than 128kb. I almost never settle for anything less. By 192kb, I hardly notice any improvement in quality, so, in the interests of saving disk space, 128k is my preference.

But then there are people with wayyy better hearing than me...

Comment

192k, stereo (dont use join-stereo)

and incase you wondering what tools to use for ripping (been covereed a few times before. (easier to say ahead before waiting to be asked)

EAC - ripper
                  LAME - compressor

Comment

I personally use Music Match Jukebox, and have no GRIPES with sound quality.. apparently the quality isn't as good.. hmmm..
                    2 week temp ban (spam and complaining about deleted posts)
                    register another account and you're gone for good.

Comment

Musicmatch Jukebox is terrible. the files sound patch to my ear.

I personally try to download 192k, if i can't get that i'll settle for 160k. I find that 128 is a little distorted when pumping at high volumes (I have a very clear audio system in my car), I hate distortion.

To rip, i use CDEX, which is bassed on the LAME encoder, sounds great, resonably quick.
                      http://www.mp3vl.tk Plans and progress on my install - (Updated 28 June 02)
                      Australian mp3car Portal
                      mp3car related links Check them out / Add some
                      mp3car FAQ - RTFF

[########==]80% Assembling
                      -=Current Progress: Working Sproggy supply, building box.=-

Comment

When I'm downloading, I won't settle for anything less than 128K. When I'm ripping, I rip at 192K. Can I tell the difference? Only if I listen closely. In the car, road and exhaust noise drowns out all the details of the sound anyway, so I really can't tell the difference then.
                        Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
                        Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
                        "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron Cake
                          When I'm downloading, I won't settle for anything less than 128K. When I'm ripping, I rip at 192K. Can I tell the difference? Only if I listen closely. In the car, road and exhaust noise drowns out all the details of the sound anyway, so I really can't tell the difference then.
                          but we all feel more confy knowin that its high-bitrate music we are listening
                          -
                          My cars
                          -

Comment

Originally posted by THEMP3KID

That is just a little bit i\over the top if you ask me.. all my mp3s are like 128 and 160, I don't think that any better is really nessisarry CDs are like 160..

CD's are over 700 kbps (16bit X 44100 sampling)

There is a difference between even 320 kpbs mp3's and the original cd.

160kbps mp3's are NOT cd quality.
                            www.arbybean.com

Comment

I started using EAC and Lame. Each disk took a while to rip then encode. I got to one disc that was a little damaged. I first cleaned/repaired the disc with cd doctor then tried EAC and Lame. Well, with this I still heard pops and skipps when listening to the track. I then tried the same disk with music match and the distortion was gone. Also it took about 1/4 as long to rip/encode. Some people swear by EAC and LAME but if given a sound test I wonder how many people can actually tell the difference. I am not saying that there isn't one, I am just saying that I can't hear one. I encode at 160. And to be honest I am not sure if I can tell the difference between it and 128. To each is own.

Comment

Working...
                              X