Spraypainting Wires Safe?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spraypainting Wires Safe?

I have plenty of wire laying around the house, but the insulation is all black. I'm going to use it for my power, accessory and ground when hooking up my M2, but I wanted to distinguish these wires and was wondering if spraypainting would be fine.

Obviously, I wanna spray one wire red for power and the accessory wire something else. Nothing bad will happen right? Meaning, the paint won't smear off and get on other wires or even on my carpet?

Thanks.

-Matt

P.S. I just wanna do this to keep everything organized should any problems come up later.

Originally posted by matt11601
    I have plenty of wire laying around the house, but it's all black. I'm going to use it for my power, accessory and ground when hooking up my M2, but I wanted to distinguish these wires and was wondering if spraypainting would be fine.

Obviously, I wanna spray one wire red for power and the accessory wire something else. Nothing bad will happen right? Meaning, the paint won't smear off and get on other wires or even on my carpet?

Thanks.

-Matt

P.S. I just wanna do this to keep everything organized should any problems come up later.
    Nope. It will crack, flake and chip after it's dry however.
    I'd just use it the color it is if I were you and use a small taped label on either end. Do it right and it will look kinda cool too, as that is how aircraft wiring is labeled (wire is stamped with letters also).

Cheers

BJ

Comment

Ahhhh I see. Thanks for the response.

Comment

Painting should not be idea #1. Try to label the wires first. If you do have to paint them look at Krylon Fusion paint. If you use other kinds of paint it will take long periods of time to cure. It will be tacky (not look bad but sticky).

Perhaps you can try a few wires on the side to see how you like the look and feel of it painted. Again I suggest Krylon Fusion because you can find it in so many colours and it has worked well in the past for me. It does not chip flake and the like when cured.

Comment

dude,

just buy a pack of multi-colored electrical tape for $3.

make a colored ring every foot along the wire so you know which wire it is.

Comment

Multi coloured heatshrink tubing work nicely.

Painting it can damage the cable, the paint may react/crumble/soften the insulation in time.

Comment

Originally posted by Freelander
              dude,

just buy a pack of multi-colored electrical tape for $3.

make a colored ring every foot along the wire so you know which wire it is.

the right way to do it is with electrical tape. Personally, I would just tape one end up (about a foot in all the way to the end) and do that to the other end. Don't paint them.
              Take 2 - '03 Audi A4
              macmini with an 8" widescreen (in progress)

My 2004 Ford Ranger:
              14" LCD w/ custom made aluminum bezel
              Completly custom computer case

Comment

You may be able to use a latex based paint if you are concerned about coloring the length of it.

Comment

http://www.delcity.net/

good prices, do it right.
                  Core duo
                  1tb harddrive
                  256 ddr
                  8 lilliput
                  bu-353

still installing...

Comment

by the time you buy special paint, you might as well buy new wires.
                    to answer your question, it's safe. go ahead, and post pictures.

Comment

The multicoloured electrical tape I've used was junk; it came unstuck (I assume that any tape that sells for $3 a pack will also be crap, since a single decent roll of black tape costs more than that.) Heatshrink will stay on forever, and it comes in a bunch of colours.

Comment

Like what Freelander said, is it really going to be worth it after you buy all this special paint when you could have bought the proper colored wire? If you go to an electrical shop (Not Radioshack but a REAL electrical store), you can buy the wire by length and you don't have to buy like 25 ft of a color you’re only going to use about 2 feet worth.
                        PROGRESS [==========-] 99.9% <- Are we ever really actually done with our carPCs?

Comment

I completely disagree with people telling you to buy new wire. You shouldn't have to re purchase wire, assuming you have quality wire already, just for cosmetics. Try the heatshrink, paint, or tape.
                          My Carputer! (More Car Pics at the end)
                          2 Kicker Comp 10"
                          Epia M-9000, 256 MB DDR, 120 Gig HD
                          Lilliput 7" VGA Touchscreen
                          Check it out?!

Comment

flexible paint will be fine.

even some nail varnishes (latex based) are flexible these days and are ok for colour coding the ends.

But if your wires are silicone insulated you will have a hard job getting anything to stick and heatshrinkw ill be your best option.

Comment

I just use color heatsink (1-2 inch long) at each end of the cable. It's the best and the fastest way do to it. And I bought the cheapest one I can find.
                              BTW, Most of the cable lenght will be hidden anyway so why bother painting it.
                              2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
                              89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
                              Y2K Accord Dell GX150
                              RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
                              EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Working...
                              X