Radar Gun Killed My CarPC?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radar Gun Killed My CarPC?

Call me crazy but this is wayy too much of a coincidence..

I am driving down the highway and I see a motorcycle cop, off of his bike with a radar gun... I am in the leftmost lane, he is in the leftside breakdown lane, so we are VERY close... Literally the moment I am next to him, my computer shuts off!

I have had my PC installed for 4 months and this has NEVER occured. I honestly believe the radar gun was the cause of this...

What is even worse... My carPC will not turn on now. I have checked my power wires, my ign wire, etc... They are all in the correct state. I have yet to bring the PC into the house to investigate furthur but I have NO IDEA what the problem is. I am hoping I have a bad connector or something.

When I turn the car on I hear the fans turn on(i dont know if it is just the case fan, or the cpu fan though but never ever gets output to the LCD. I hear no POST beep either.

I am using an mii10000 w/ a m1-atx.

Any ideas why my computer won't boot?

Any ideas if the radar gun is even capable to forcing my PC to shut off? Anyone have access to a police radar gun? I dare you to shoot your PC I bet this scenario would be hard to reproduce, but I honestly think the gun had an effect. Call me an idiot.
    B Smoov
    Project Status: 90% Complete

Next Step: TIVO for Radio

Ampie Case :: MII10000 Mobo :: M1-ATX PSU :: 512MB RAM :: 2.5" HD, 60GB, 5400rpm, 16MB Buffer :: DWW-700H :: Centrafuse

I know radars interference with computers but I never heard that they crash or break them. Under high frequency spectrum, computers act weird and sometime they crash.

Since you hear fan, which means u have power, and cannot hear beep; check your bios EPROM and try to reset it by jumpers. It sounds like whether bios or board problem.
    Check my computerized car project log out at http://www.E-Coupe.com/

Comment

so when you drive through parking lots and pass radar controlled doors it should kill your computer too? Doubtful. There are probably so many other times that you are zapped by radar that you don't know about. How bout them mobile speed sighns that the DOT/Police post in constructon zones that tell you your speed. They use radar too. I think your problem is just a coincidence. Check your power connections/cables/fuses.

David

Comment

Most automatic doors are X band. There's also K, and Ka, Ka I believe is supposed to be high power short-burst, so anything is possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Jahntassa
          Most automatic doors are X band. There's also K, and Ka, Ka I believe is supposed to be high power short-burst, so anything is possible.
          What automatic doors? What is xband? what is k and ka?

I'm confused.
          B Smoov

Ampie Case :: MII10000 Mobo :: M1-ATX PSU :: 512MB RAM :: 2.5" HD, 60GB, 5400rpm, 16MB Buffer :: DWW-700H :: Centrafuse

Comment

Originally posted by DaveTN
            so when you drive through parking lots and pass radar controlled doors it should kill your computer too? Doubtful. There are probably so many other times that you are zapped by radar that you don't know about. How bout them mobile speed sighns that the DOT/Police post in constructon zones that tell you your speed. They use radar too. I think your problem is just a coincidence. Check your power connections/cables/fuses.

David

I sort of doubt that automatic doors are using "radar". Most of them just use IR. Many automatic parking gates use magnetic switches.

In any case, I agree that it seems doubtful that a police radar gun could fry a PC, unless there are reports of such happening with built-in GPS and so forth?

Freaky coincidence, though.

MBA
            2000 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer
            CarPC Status: As of 03 Jan., 2006 - installed & running!

Epia MII-10000
            512 MB RAM
            Lilliput 7" LCD
            Toshiba 40GB HDD
            Panasonic Slim slot-loading DVD
            Holux GPS w/ iGuidance
            XM PCR
            RoadRunner

Comment

Tons of retail door openers use K-band. Ever drive through a shopping center with a radar detector?
              Xenarc 7" USB Touch LCD / 3.06 GHz P4 / 512MB DDR / 250GB 7200RPM 16MB HD /
              DS-ATX 220W / Centrafuse / GPS / XM / 802.11g: 6db / RF Keyboard

Comment

Originally posted by pastypyro
                Tons of retail door openers use K-band. Ever drive through a shopping center with a radar detector?
                X-band. Have YOU ever driven through a shopping center with a radar detector?

Some do use contact pads at the door, but more use actual Radar.

Comment

If the fans turn on and you have no video signal output your motherboard is most likely dead. If you power it up and hear NO beeps that is. If it beeps at all it may be the memory but it is most likely the motherboard.

Comment

check ALL the fuses. Check your connection to the monitor. Also if you have a PCI video card try that, you might see something, and then it's possible that you can reload or update the bios if the went bad...which means it wouldn't be possible if the video portion of the bios were bad.

I was able to use a PCI video card and realized that the onboard video wasn't working, but I could get a dos promt when using a PCI video card and a dos floppy disk to reload the bios.

Just for fun replace your IDE cable as well, and test your hard drive with another computer, if the above options don't work.

This happened to me once with a board, however it didn't have anything to do with a radar gun.
                    BossTone74

Comment

Originally posted by Jahntassa
                      X-band. Have YOU ever driven through a shopping center with a radar detector?

Some do use contact pads at the door, but more use actual Radar.
                      Both, actually. I turned off X-Band on my detector because it's in use only in a few states and I have never run into it. You can find out what's common around your area on radardetector.net.
                      Xenarc 7" USB Touch LCD / 3.06 GHz P4 / 512MB DDR / 250GB 7200RPM 16MB HD /
                      DS-ATX 220W / Centrafuse / GPS / XM / 802.11g: 6db / RF Keyboard

Comment

Thanks bosstone, I'll try out what you suggested.
                        B Smoov

Comment

It is theoritically possible. The reason the automatic door opener dont trigger this is they are lower powered. A police radar gun tends to be higher powered to increase range. If the officer in question was close enough at the time and happened to just trigger his gun at the right moment the initial spike from the radar gun could of been transmitted down any number of wires into the pc's mobo basically frying some of the more sensitive parts.

While all this is a low possibility I believe it could happen, now whether or not it can be repeated or shown that this is the cause is another thing.
                          Avengerki
                          PC Install: 85%
                          Car PC: Revo-Sys X300 Double Din: 1.3GHz Pentium
                          Software install and setup: 35%
                          Entertainment Package: 85%

Comment

Originally posted by bosstone74
                            check ALL the fuses. Check your connection to the monitor. Also if you have a PCI video card try that, you might see something, and then it's possible that you can reload or update the bios if the went bad...which means it wouldn't be possible if the video portion of the bios were bad.

I was able to use a PCI video card and realized that the onboard video wasn't working, but I could get a dos promt when using a PCI video card and a dos floppy disk to reload the bios.

Just for fun replace your IDE cable as well, and test your hard drive with another computer, if the above options don't work.

This happened to me once with a board, however it didn't have anything to do with a radar gun.

Although your theory sounds good it only confirms that the board is bad. If any portion of the board does out (including the on-board video OR AGP slot) you have problems and you should immediatly replace the board before more damage to the existing componets are done.

If the PC powers on but has no video output it wont be a fuse, we already confirmed there is power. What we have not confirmed is if the Pentium 4 style connector has gone bad (not sure what type of board you're using, if its a desktop board you probably use it, the 4 pin connector, two yellow two black). Try using a power supply on an AC line. If it still does the same thing try flashing the bios with the CLR CMOS jumper and give that a go.

9 out of 10 times this type of problem is a fried board. Unfortunatly, motherboards go bad from power spikes so it is possbile that the radar had enough power to it to do some damage. Why? If you ever flipped the wires on your PSU you would see that you pop a fuse immediatly. In theory, if your PSU is grounded to the car itself and there was a surge of power in reverse it would fry the board. Why the fuse in the PSU didn't blow is beyond me. Usualy a short of some sort causes it but without being at your location and looking at the board / cpu I can't say for sure.

Comment

Was your puter behind the windshield,without case, with a bad grounding ?? The hull of your car is metal, tires are grounding it. It's hard to imagine a radar gun able to fry your mobo, inside a Faraday's Cage. Your ECU could fry as well. Your pacemaker too....

That's pure coincidence.
                              Now Galileo is real. Muhahahahaha :p

Comment

Working...
                              X