No announcement yet.

Carputer caught dealer "playing" in my car!

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carputer caught dealer "playing" in my car!

My car was in the dealer for a prolonged test to try to find a hard to duplicate problem.

When I got the car back, I decided to look at my FreeDrive logs, and found out that the tech had decided to drive my car 106MPH. I took a screenshot of the log and brought my laptop with me so I could show the logs to the Service Manager. The tech got suspended w/o pay for 2 days, and the issue was taken care of to my approval.

Has anyone else used their carputer to catch someone doing something that they shouldn't with their car?

So this just goes out as a thanks to everyone who I posted things on this board that helped me with my carputer over the past year and half. You all helped me catch people abusing my car, and my trust.

Moral of the story....Don't **** with a tech!

Heh, and I think that people at that dealership will be afraid to work on my car now. Knowing that it's watching them

Dr. Ron Paul for President 2008

Hope for America -

Who is Ron Paul? - Why do we need Ron Paul?

CarPC Newbs Start Here: All your questions answered, as if by E.S.P.

What type of test/repair was your car in for? Maybe it was needed to drive it for so many miles in order to duplicate the problem?

Although on the flip side I have a friend who is a Toyota Master Tech and he always cruzes customers cars to lunch and stuff. "road test" he calls it.. And of course he always rips all their CD's to his laptop.. But I'll give him this, the guy is a damn good tech.
      Sell me your stuff.. please see what i'm looking to buy

Corporate policy states that they can't excede the speed limits to diagnose a problem. The car was supposed to be driven on cruise for a prolonged period of time to try to diagnose a torque converter lockup solonid problem.

It wasn't that they drove the car a long distance, it's that they drove it at 106 Miles Per Hour!

that is freakin awesome!
          New System in progress:
          Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
          Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
          Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
          Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
          Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
          My Boat Pc worklog

i love that haha!

sweet.. i must get that.. even though i do all my own work on my car....
              Click for link to my Cardomain page.

Originally posted by fooshizn1x
                What type of test/repair was your car in for? Maybe it was needed to drive it for so many miles in order to duplicate the problem?
                Reminds me of a comic strip I saw many years ago in a comic magazine called CARtoons...
                A gu gets pulled over and explains to the cop, "The boss said to rotate the tires. Rotating them at 90mph was my idea."
                Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

That is very cool.
                  Old Systems retired due to new car
                  New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

very nice!

I usually turn my computer off when I take it in. I'm paranoid about someone wanting to **** with it. But....this would be a reason to leave it on!

Jan Bennett
                    FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

You are my hero.
                      iGMon - Integration between iGuidance and Road Runner
                      CFX - Skin for Road Runner

I turned off my monitor so that they wouldn't know it was running. I also have a manual power switch in parallel with the OPUS going to the headers on the Mobo, and I think that next time I'm going to unhook that switch so that they can't turn it off even if they try

Normally I shut it down for short check up like oil change and such.
                          But if I have to leave it overnight, I'll spend 30 minutes to take the PC and the screen out.
                          Time to make Access Control to work again. It's time to log what the f they do to the car. Dealer service is one minor thing. Valet parking is the worst.
                          2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
                          89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
                          Y2K Accord Dell GX150
                          RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
                          EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

I always unplug my carPC when I take it to the dealer. It would be too tempting for me not to play with something like that, let alone them.

But NICE catch!!
                            '02 GTI
                            [Routis '04] [Opus 90W] [160GB Maxtor HD]
                            [Lilliput 7" TS] [VIA M10000] [XMPCR]
                            [512MB RAM] [Custom housing]
                            [Deluo GPS Mouse] [E-MU 0404 Soundcard]
                            Progress Meter: [==============|] 99.9%

nice to know my logging came in handy :-)

lol bet u were more chuffed u had caught them rather than them actually doing 106 in your car..
                              Follow me on Twitter