Switch for inverter and carputer??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switch for inverter and carputer??

I was wondering what type of switch would i need to control my inverter and carputer?

Do they make this type?

Basically.. I switch it to the middle possition and the inverter turns on. Next I switch it up and the comp turns on then i switch it back down. But while I am turning on the computer the inverter still stays on. Anyone know what type of switch I need for this? Or how to get it this way?

dont think so unless you can find a double pole 3way switch or an off on momentary on will have to be double pole so you can keep the voltages separated from the inverter supply and the mobo off on switch. Two switches might be better or a switch and push button.
    Visit my site V8 Scimitar

SP13000, 300GB SATA HD, 1GB DDR. Opus 150, K301 screen, Cisco WIFI, AQmax GPS, RoadRunner and FreeDrive, Sony MEX-R5 head unit. 4 years installed and it just keeps running!

Comment

the easiest way would just be how V8 scimitar said, with a normal on off switch for the inverter, and a momentary switch for the computer.

something like this is what i went with. (pic attached)
      Attached Files
      Take 2 - '03 Audi A4
      macmini with an 8" widescreen (in progress)

My 2004 Ford Ranger:
      14" LCD w/ custom made aluminum bezel
      Completly custom computer case

Comment

and this is precisely why using an inverter is teh suck

having to switch all of these things on and off everytime you get in and out of the car

bleh
        Jan Bennett
        FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

I like the switches. Plus also having the opportunity to power other devices.
          ````` _____||.\__
          .:.:.:.:.:.:;!_(o)______(o)'i
          TruckputerX - Vortech SuperCharger Vid
          TruckputerX Progress Bar [|||||||||-] 90% Complete [It's never 100% done]

Comment

having to get in every time and start the inverter then start the PC, then when you get out, having to wait for the PC to shut down then turn off the inverter?

I can understand having an inverter to power other devices not PC related, but for the PC it just simply doesn't make much sense from a well integrated POV.

if you want switches just to have switches, you can just install a bank of switches that do nothing!
            Jan Bennett

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

I think a cool switch to use for the computer power on momentary switch would be the starter button from the Infiniti M35/M45. They look sick. Personally, I would want it all automatic like Red stated, but if you want switches, by all means, switch away!

Put the "personal" back in "personal carputer"... LOL
              ~Puff

View my worklog... I dare you... http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=77267

Carputer Progress [||------------------] 10%

Comment

Originally posted by Red GTi VR6
                having to get in every time and start the inverter then start the PC, then when you get out, having to wait for the PC to shut down then turn off the inverter?

I can understand having an inverter to power other devices not PC related, but for the PC it just simply doesn't make much sense from a well integrated POV.

if you want switches just to have switches, you can just install a bank of switches that do nothing!
                Personally, i like it better to the point that if i had a dc-dc power supply, i'd still want a switch for my computer. I don't need it on everytime i start my car.

And i thought everyone had to turn their system on? I mean...if flicking a switch to turn the computer on is that much of an effort...then it's gotta hassel you to put your key in and turn it? And there's really no waiting for the computer to shut down..mine at least. And even so, i leave my inverter turned on most of the time - it cuts off when the battery runs low, which has yet to happen, considering it draws next to nothing when the computer is off.

But either way..theres already enough dc-dc VS inverter threads...no need to make another
                Take 2 - '03 Audi A4

My 2004 Ford Ranger:

Comment

I've got a switch on mine too, one to completely cut power and one for resetting, hidden away nicely inside the glovebox

the PC autostarts everytime you start the car, if you don't want it to (which in my case is WAY fewer times than otherwise) you cut it off before yous tart the car.

it might be different in your case, but I'm guessing that there are far more people on here who would rather their PC start up every time with the option of telling it not to, than for it to not start up unless they tell it to.

remote start the car as you're walking out to it, the car starts up with a dc-dc - not the case with the inverter

get in the car, flip switches, wait a few seconds longer for the PC to boot up...

your choice
                  Jan Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by Red GTi VR6
                    remote start the car as you're walking out to it, the car starts up with a dc-dc - not the case with the inverter

get in the car, flip switches, wait a few seconds longer for the PC to boot up...

your choice
                    that's all well and good...if you have remote start. And a less powerful system. I mean..if i really wanted, I could throw in a shut down controller and set it up so it's the same...personally, its not worth the money.

either way, it doesn't take a few seconds longer..comeon..we're not talking a series of buttons and switches...just one.
                    Take 2 - '03 Audi A4

My 2004 Ford Ranger:

Comment

You're right, it's just one button.

But do you HAVE to turn on your car radio everytime you get in the car? Most of us have completely replaced everything in the car with a computer. My install replaced my OEM navigation system. So in order to have music, the computer has to be on.

In my case, I have a switch that will let me turn it OFF, but most frequently, it's on.

This is a case of 'to each their own', though. And unfortunately, I have no advice for a switch, but more than likely you'd have one that was Down = Off, Mid = On, Up = Momentary. Rather than having to go past off in the middle to have the system on, much like a car ignition.

Comment

soo... what do i do? lol.. Like people said... I dont want to start my system every time I get in the car.. Sometimes i drive maybe .5 miles to my dad.. I didnt want it to start then. And I drive a small car with a small battery.. I didn't want the load on the battery when I started the car.. B/c it would start the car + computer.

I did it this way b/c of $$$$$$$ .. Its cheaper imo and in my case b/c I already had some of the supplys..

So.. Anyone have any ideas? Right now I have 2 switches... One for the inverter and one for the computer. Can I some how make it auto turn on when I turn the inverter on? Any ideas to make it easyer?

Comment

I think this is the best way for using an inverter.

http://www.mp3car.com/store/product_...products_id=65

they are easy to configure and with a little moding to your inverter..(which they have directions for) it can turn on your inverter then your computer just like a remote wire does for the amp.

Comment

Originally posted by FelonyJake
                            I think this is the best way for using an inverter.

http://www.mp3car.com/store/product_...products_id=65

they are easy to configure and with a little moding to your inverter..(which they have directions for) it can turn on your inverter then your computer just like a remote wire does for the amp.
                            $74.00.. I went this way b/c im a poor college student who is using grants i get for school to make my carputer instead of buying books!

thanks tho! I will take donations!! =p

Comment

I just graduated from school.
                              after like 5 years. grrr
                              well either way after the first semester and buying all the books for every class and then noticing that my chem book is still in its plastic and getting an A in the class i vowed never to get a book for a class again. and i didnt.
                              last semester had a 3.65 gpa and over all was something like a 3.1 i forget.

but either way that controller does more then just that so i say its worth it. and i am pulling more watts so i need a regular power supply.
                              but hey if your going to waste your education grant on the computer anyways.. mind as well do it right even if it costs more then you thought it was.

but either way you go good luck with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X