FM tuner card, where?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FM tuner card, where?

Can anyone point me in the right direction (other than just saying pricewatch) on where to get a radio tuner card? I already have a TV-wonder, I don't need a TV tuner card. Even it it only handle FM I'd be happy. I'm looking to stay under $25. I don't think that's a ridiculous price range considering I've seen All-In-Wonders go for $20.

Thanks in advance!
    My Install Thread
    digitaljetta.com

MKIV VW Jetta
    How do I get sound to my car?

Well, if you have an LCD to view your desktop and the ability to control mouse movements, you could try the D-link DSB-R100 (USB FM radio). I've been using one for about 2yrs and am quite happy with the performance I get from it. You should be able to get one from PCBAY for about $20 or so + shipping

http://www.pcbay.net/dlindsusbfmr.html

Best thing about this little unit is the antenna attaches to the base by an rca plug allowing you to wireup and plugin any antenna of your choice.

Comment

ADS Tech

It's $40, and only ISA, but it does just about everything you'd want an AM/FM card to do.
      AM/FM
      RDS Signals (Call signs, song titles, station time, etc.)

I'm having to buy a motherboard solely based on whether or not is has an ISA slot. It's worth it, though.
      Don't Click

Comment

Originally posted by Gutter
        ADS Tech

It's $40, and only ISA, but it does just about everything you'd want an AM/FM card to do.
        AM/FM
        RDS Signals (Call signs, song titles, station time, etc.)

I'm having to buy a motherboard solely based on whether or not is has an ISA slot. It's worth it, though.
        $40 for a ISA FM tuner card??? I'll pass.
        My Install Thread
        digitaljetta.com

MKIV VW Jetta

Comment

Originally posted by ppgt94
          $40 for a ISA FM tuner card??? I'll pass.
          That's like saying, "$80,000 for a car???" and you're talking about a Viper. No, it's $40 for an AM and FM card that also handles RBDS signals (program id, song/artist, format, paging, time and date, traffic announcements, etc.) This is the only one I've found that has all of those features and is affordable. I listen to AM radio every morning, so that feature is important to me, but might not be to you.
          Don't Click

Comment

Originally posted by Gutter
            AM and FM card that also handles RBDS signals (program id, song/artist, format, paging, time and date, traffic announcements, etc.) This is the only one I've found that has all of those features and is affordable. I listen to AM radio every morning, so that feature is important to me, but might not be to you.
            That's nice and all, but umh there are like 3 Radio stations in the US that ACTUALLY use RDS...None where I live.
            My Install Thread
            digitaljetta.com

MKIV VW Jetta

Comment

Originally posted by ppgt94
              That's nice and all, but umh there are like 3 Radio stations in the US that ACTUALLY use RDS...None where I live.
              You'd be surprised. Every station, minus one, that I can reach is transmitting something on the RBDS band. The one that's not transmitting is a pirate station that's been up for a couple of weeks. I just scanned through and checked. Some are comprehensive, some just have the call signs and station format.

I'll give up now since you're not going to buy it. But it really is a great card for the price.
              Don't Click

Comment

See you live in Austin. Me...well I live in a farm town.
                My Install Thread
                digitaljetta.com

MKIV VW Jetta

Comment

Nice looking card...only problem I see is ISA...yuck

Comment

why doesn't somebody make a firewire bridge for ISA cards?

no... seriously.... (j/k)

How do you work that card into your system gutter? I mean how do you get it to display all the RDS information? Did you program your own custom interface or something?

Comment

It's in my main computer now, so I'm using the software that came with it. There is a SDK available for it.

I've been working on new software for my car. It has a VB backend and a flash frontend. Looks neat, but very difficult to get Flash to talk to VB and vise versa. I plan to add support for the card, just haven't gotten around to it yet. Not enough hours in the day.

*EDIT* Whoops. Apparently their SDK isn't available for download anymore. If anyone wants a copy, feel free to msg me. I still have a copy from a couple years back.
                      Don't Click

Comment

Gutter, sent you a PM...

I just ordered one of the ADS cards, and it was only $20 + shipping ($4.54 for UPS ground), which looks like a great deal to me. I have an ISA port free, so it is all good for me. I wonder if someone makes USB->ISA adpters?

Twostep

Comment

Woah! $20! ppgt94, you can't beat that. I may get another one so I don't have to take it out of my main computer.

Twostep: just emailed it to you.
                          Don't Click

Comment

Yeah, but again, ISA <shivvers>. The only computers that I own that even have ISA slots are all old machines (p2/p2 secc/2), or it would be quite tempting.
                            -Nick

Comment

The availability of radio was the only feature I wish I worked on better on my first system. Unless I have a better option, I'll end up using it and buying an mobo with ISA.

ADSTech isn't answering emails, which worries me a little. Anybody seen any other AM/FM cards which preferrably handle RDBS? Yep, back to the original question.
                              Don't Click

Comment

Working...
                              X