getting gps working in carputer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• getting gps working in carputer

im looking through some write ups but can anyone give me a basic write up of what i need to get the gps workin in my carputer.

I have iguidance v3. the software only.

what more do i need? as far as receiver and what not.
    thanks for the help im clueless about gps stuff.

edit: do i need anything else besides.

http://inavcorp-store.stores.yahoo.net/accessories.html
    (USB (Laptop) 01-2040RT ( for the carputer, not laptop ) )
    and the
    http://www.inavcorp.com/products/royaltek_mouse.html
    mouse receiver
    [HL]2005 nissan 350z[/HL], custom made monitor casing and buttons. pics to come. running aopen mini pc. with iguidance 3.0.1 gps, and mobile impact.

get roms for your carputers at
    romcampus.com
    2 MB download speed, no ads. totaly free :)

Have fun reading the info below.
    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=39316
    For Sale: Carputer (CarPC) & RCA Y-Adapter
    Newsflash: Take a look at my unsold stuff above, thanks!
    Up Next: Make an OBD to Serial cable & Redo the "MMI buttons"

Comment

linking me to long thread took u probably more time then to just give me a simple yes or no answer.

so basicaly you helped nothin..
      i've read it already and to my KNOWLEDGE i only need the 2 things i linked above.
      [HL]2005 nissan 350z[/HL], custom made monitor casing and buttons. pics to come. running aopen mini pc. with iguidance 3.0.1 gps, and mobile impact.

get roms for your carputers at
      romcampus.com
      2 MB download speed, no ads. totaly free :)

Comment

yea gps + software.. IG3 is the best software imo.. and as for gps? I went with the cheap bu-303 i think its the name.. under 50$.. works prefect if its not behind anything like windows tint or something matalic.

Comment

Here's what you need,

1. iGuidance (you seem to already have) - or other software
          2. GPS receiver

Most GPS receiver (modern ones) are about the same. As long as they're NMEA compliant, you're money. Most ppl use the Delorme, the Global Sat (bu-***), or the one you suggested above.

That's about it. The Delorme GPS receiver comes with a port splitter. Other than that you may want another 3rd part splitter. I'm drunk, that's all the help I have.....lates
          www.mobile-effects.com

Free file hosting, picture gallery hosting for installs, PM me.

Internet's first Front End Skin browser, featured installs, downloads, links, informative articles - all free to registered users.

Comment

whichever gps mouse you get, make sure it has the SiRF Star III chipset. they are more sensitive and more accurate. i had mine tucked in the rear deck lid under metal, wood, carpeting, then the rear window and it still worked great.

ps i had the globalsat bu-353

Comment

Originally posted by xcite
              linking me to long thread took u probably more time then to just give me a simple yes or no answer.

so basicaly you helped nothin..
              i've read it already and to my KNOWLEDGE i only need the 2 things i linked above.
              And you can't figure out the answer to your thread from reading the numerous informational pieces that have been written by forum members?
              If that's the case, you're going to have a long hard road in front of you. This hobby requires participants to be able to think on their own and do somne research.

I predict we'll see all your carPC hardware for sale in the classified forum before too long...
              Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
              How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert
                And you can't figure out the answer to your thread from reading the numerous informational pieces that have been written by forum members?
                If that's the case, you're going to have a long hard road in front of you. This hobby requires participants to be able to think on their own and do somne research.

I predict we'll see all your carPC hardware for sale in the classified forum before too long...
                Ouch.
                Progress [I will seriously never be done!]
                Via EPIA MII
                512MB RAM
                OEM GPS (embedded)
                nLite WinXP pro on
                1GB Extreme III CF card
                Carnetix 1260 startup/ DC-DC regulator
                Software: Still, re-Writing my existing front end in .Net

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert

Post # 3000

Comment

wow, its so nice to see others so willing to help people out. do you guys tell people who are looking for directions on the street to shove it? his was a simple question. is this all i need? answer: yes. three letters, problem solved. if this hobby requires you to "think on your own" why is this board here to begin with?
                    Car Pc progress meter:
                    [-5%-------------------] Carpc build #2. So far, 20$ deep! I love recycling!

"The car is the closest we will ever come to creating something that is truly alive" -Sir William Lyons
                    My worklog

Comment

Originally posted by redls1bird
                      wow, its so nice to see others so willing to help people out. do you guys tell people who are looking for directions on the street to shove it? his was a simple question. is this all i need? answer: yes. three letters, problem solved. if this hobby requires you to "think on your own" why is this board here to begin with?
                      Nobody is telling anyone to shove it.
                      Whether you like it or not, this hobby requires users to think on their feet, do some creative problem solving, troubleshooting and research.
                      Everyone of us who has a working system in their car (at whatever stage) has had to do all of that, repeatedly.

Sorry if you don't want to. You gotta.

As I said, if the OP can't figure out what's needed after a number of members provided informational links for him to read and learn from, he needs to find a new hobby, plain and simple.

If you want a simple install without having to flex any grey matter, pay the premium for a Pioneer AVIC unit and pay the punk at Circuit City to install it.
                      We'll have our computers that will do far more because we were willing to think and problem solve and troubleshoot.
                      Welcome to the real world.
                      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                      How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Working...
                      X