Heat Issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat Issues

I dont know if this happens to any of you but its ben getting hot over here in NYC like 90+ for the past couple days soon to hit 100+ but i know that not near some of what you guys get. But my carpc seems to not boot up the first time i get into the car. If i let the car run for a couple seconds to cool down with the AC, then try and start the PC it will start. This doesnt happen on the cooler days....
    2002 Mitsubishi Galant
    Progress: 90% [-▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓- ->

Carputer Specs:
    Via M10K
    512mb Ram
    60GB HDD
    Souund Blaster Audigy2 NX
    OPUS ITX PC Case

intermittant connections somewhere?

when it heats up, they expand and come apart?

Comment

I dont see how, but its possible its thermal protection somehow. but then again when a pc gets up to temp its probably 140 to 150 degrees. you melt the chip at about 170degrees. and your only talking starting it in 90 degree weather. your car sitting in the sun lets say its 120 in there. it should still be ok. if its a concern and giving it issues. dont start it until your cars cooled down. if your using a m1 or m2 power supply, dont use the auto power on function just wire your power switch directly.
      MII12000 | 512MB PC3200 | 60GB 2.5" Samsung
      M2-ATX 160W PS | SlotLoad DVD/CDRW | BU353 GPS
      7" Lilliput 619 | WinTV | WIFI | Bluetooth
      Audigy2 ZS | HQCT | Kyocera KR1 Mobile Router(3G)
      Roadrunner | LSXvoid | IGuidance 3

My Worklog

Comment

Originally posted by yrean
        m1 or m2 power supply
        OPUS 120W
        2002 Mitsubishi Galant

Carputer Specs:
        Via M10K
        512mb Ram
        60GB HDD
        OPUS ITX PC Case

Comment

Originally posted by Cheekz185
          OPUS 120W

check the connection from j9 to the mobo. or wire the power directly to the mobo instead of using the startup shutdown built into the opus. have you looked for any flashing lights on the opus? are there any when this happens?

heres a link to the opus manual. http://www.mp3car.com/products/DCX3-...uick_Guide.pdf

My Worklog

Comment

BIOS is probably failing to post due to the excessive heat in the chips and the hard drive.

Mine does this, sometimes it will just bearly boot up, but then runs like a 80386 with about 4meg of RAM

Last week my CPU hit 86 degrees C and the PC restarted, then said insert system disk... Got it in the house for some diagnostics and it had fried the harddrive contents to oblivion - Had to do yet another rebuild, but this time found a couple of hundred bad sectors on the drive And one of the VIA chips on the board has some faint brown staining on the top now, still seems to work ok though when its not getting silly hot

If case temps go over 50deg C and CPU temps go over 70deg C then you will experience problems.

And I was told that generally a CPU will meltdown if it exceeds 85deg C core temperature.

Sounds like you need some big *** 120mm high CFM fans pointing at the board

One 80mm (1500rpm) fan over my mobo drops the temps by nearly 20degrees

You also need to make sure the case has adequate ventilation and fans.
            Maybe using a watercooling system is an option for you. Its not for me as I can't find a heatsink/radiator/heat exchanger which fits the SP13000 CPU.

When winter comes round though you'll have the oposite problem, too cold and your HD will not spin up properly cause the cold makes the spindle grease go too thick and it stops it spinning up to speed, and you may be at risk of condensation on the circuit boards.

HTH

John
            My Nissan 200SX @ Silverstone
            NOW SADLY WRITTEN OFF!

My Car's spec list + pics

Stealth CarPC fab'ing...

Comment

I am sure this will prolly help figuring the problem but the opus beeps when the pc doesnt turn on. It goes BEEP---BEEP---BEEP ect. its not like BEEP BEEP----BEEP BEEP.....
              2002 Mitsubishi Galant

Carputer Specs:
              Via M10K
              512mb Ram
              60GB HDD
              OPUS ITX PC Case

Comment

you sure thats the opus and not the motherboard. I had a mobo before that beeped like that when it hit the thermal protection.

My Worklog

Comment

Originally posted by ShawJohn
                  BIOS is probably failing to post due to the excessive heat in the chips and the hard drive.

Mine does this, sometimes it will just bearly boot up, but then runs like a 80386 with about 4meg of RAM

Last week my CPU hit 86 degrees C and the PC restarted, then said insert system disk... Got it in the house for some diagnostics and it had fried the harddrive contents to oblivion - Had to do yet another rebuild, but this time found a couple of hundred bad sectors on the drive And one of the VIA chips on the board has some faint brown staining on the top now, still seems to work ok though when its not getting silly hot

If case temps go over 50deg C and CPU temps go over 70deg C then you will experience problems.

And I was told that generally a CPU will meltdown if it exceeds 85deg C core temperature.

Sounds like you need some big *** 120mm high CFM fans pointing at the board

One 80mm (1500rpm) fan over my mobo drops the temps by nearly 20degrees

You also need to make sure the case has adequate ventilation and fans.
                  Maybe using a watercooling system is an option for you. Its not for me as I can't find a heatsink/radiator/heat exchanger which fits the SP13000 CPU.

When winter comes round though you'll have the oposite problem, too cold and your HD will not spin up properly cause the cold makes the spindle grease go too thick and it stops it spinning up to speed, and you may be at risk of condensation on the circuit boards.

HTH

John
                  WEll i have a total of 4 i think they are 80mm or 60mm fans in the case directly on the mobo and the case temp stays below 100 degrees F usually aroung 80-90 F
                  2002 Mitsubishi Galant

Carputer Specs:
                  Via M10K
                  512mb Ram
                  60GB HDD
                  OPUS ITX PC Case

Comment

hmm the beeps sound like the motherboard/BIOS beep codes. You should look up the beep codes for your mobo and start there. It is prolly a simple fix.

Comment

The beeps (if they alternate in tone like a police siren) is the BIOS warning that the CPU temperature is critical.

Nee Naah, Nee Naah, Nee Nah etc. thats what all my mobo's do anyway, not sure if its a universal code or not.

If it is overheating be very carefull

At best you'll lose your mobo, at worst it could set fire to your car
                      NOW SADLY WRITTEN OFF!

Stealth CarPC fab'ing...

Comment

Originally posted by ShawJohn
                        The beeps (if they alternate in tone like a police siren) is the BIOS warning that the CPU temperature is critical.

Nee Naah, Nee Naah, Nee Nah etc. thats what all my mobo's do anyway, not sure if its a universal code or not.

If it is overheating be very carefull

At best you'll lose your mobo, at worst it could set fire to your car

No the beeps are actually the same exact tone and they beep at the same rate!
                        2002 Mitsubishi Galant

Carputer Specs:
                        Via M10K
                        512mb Ram
                        60GB HDD
                        OPUS ITX PC Case

Comment

Its been a heat index of around 110-115 here in Arkansas, and I still havent had any problems running a AMD 2400+ mobile with a stock HSF, in the trunk with no air to it.
                          2000 Sunfire build 100%, or is it ever really 100%?

Comment

no air in your trunk?

its a vaccuum?, cant have heat in a true vaccuum

Comment

Check your memory simms are seated properly. And all other leads for that matter.

Have you flashed the BIOS recently?
                              NOW SADLY WRITTEN OFF!

Stealth CarPC fab'ing...

Comment

Working...
                              X