No announcement yet.

Which is a optimal place to put the pc?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which is a optimal place to put the pc?

Since my laptop has stopped working my project was put on hold. Now im looking for a computer that either small enough to put under the passenger seat or in the trunk where my cd changer is. It a lexus sc300. Any thoughts? I dont want to go with the aopen or mac mini. Something relatively inexpensive. P3or4. I been searching on ebay and came across the old compaq ipaq or AMD's NEW " Mini portable computer"

i considered this http://cgi.ebay.com/Gateway-eSeries-...QQcmdZViewItem

Well if you build it yourself than a Micro-ATX will fit under a seat comfortably. As well as a nano-itx, or Flex-ATX. If it is going in the trunk, than who cares about size?

If you don't want to build it yourself, you can get the Ampie case fully built with M1-ATX, M10k, and RAM for real cheap from the store. Of course, if you do it yourself you'll save.

Any reason you are looking at full systems and not just components?
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Im looking at full systems because Ive never built a computer before. I know about them but I never messed around to build one. I only installed a tv tuner card and a cd writer. thats the most ive done.

As far as the trunk, I want it to fit in where my cd changer is. I will junk the changer since it doent work.

As for the itx systems are they fairly easy to build with the convential components found at pc stores?

Comment

optimal place to put a computer?

how about IN the car

jus kidding , anyway, u can put them anywhere that they'll fit, it doesnt matter really, people have them under seats, in the trunk, in the dash, doesnt matter

itx arent really any different, just really small

Comment

"itx" refers to the form factor or the size of the motherboard. Basically a nano-itx is about 6" by 6". Very small. A Micro-ATX is a maximum of 9.6" x 9.6".

Basically when you put them together, all the parts are standard. Very easy to do. Get a Power Supply, like the Opus or M2. Get a standard desktop Hard drive. And get some RAM. BAM! You're done.

If you want small go itx. If you want power, go atx.

Or if you want itx and don't want to build it yourself, then the store has pre-built ones or even a kit avaialble so they send you the parts, and you put it together.

And eventually, something will go wrong, and if you don't know what's in it or how to try to figure it out, you will be out a lot of money.
          15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more

Comment

hmmmmm juss put it all together? lol its that easy. I guess what im thinking about is the processor. Or do these cases come with them already.

Comment

The via boards (nano-itx) come with the cpu soldered on. Basically, good to go! Really easy! That's why I suggest you build using a via board if it is your first build because it is sooooo easy. Less stuff to mess with. Also low power - low heat and low power consumption!

Comment

Actually to correct myself, I do have a via c3 800Mhz Micro-ATX board lying around in my basement somewhere. So the via boards are not exclusivly nano.

Comment

I checked the store.... i get it now. Get a ampie, ram, hd, VIA EPIA M10000 Mini-ITX Mainboard, windows xp. anything im missing?

Comment

Power supply, screen?
                    Old Systems retired due to new car
                    New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

make sure you have good airflow where ever you put it. Mine was in an enclosed body panel, but in HOT weather it overheats as soon as its powered up. Fine in all normal UK weather though
                      My Nissan 200SX @ Silverstone
                      NOW SADLY WRITTEN OFF!

My Car's spec list + pics

Stealth CarPC fab'ing...

Comment

Mine's in the boot for 2 reasons

1) It's a full size ATX and the boot is the only place for it
                        2) I can't hear the fans if it's back there

If you can fit it up front and have a fanless solution then put it in the front becasue it means shorter power cables and less chance of having to run power wires next to audio cables

Comment

if you run power in the center of the car to the trunk, then send on the bottom of the trunk to the distro block (or just input for car pc only), and have audio go along top of trunk on each side, then split for right/left side of car.

thats my thought on it, use the center console to your advantage, that way it keeps the power 3-4 ft away from power (except the trunk/rear seat area, then it drops to 1-2 ft and min of 6-12 inches, which should be completely fine)

Comment

Working...
                          X