Does such a unit exist?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does such a unit exist?

I want a little remote I can use to control my computer that I can mount to my steering wheel. Ive already got cruise buttons on my steering wheel, so I just want to have buttons to control next/pause/back/volume (and maybe shuffle too, or just programmable buttons) on a wireless signal (bluetooth is maybe overkill) but does such thing exist?

Originally posted by FyreDaug View Post
    I want a little remote I can use to control my computer that I can mount to my steering wheel. Ive already got cruise buttons on my steering wheel, so I just want to have buttons to control next/pause/back/volume (and maybe shuffle too, or just programmable buttons) on a wireless signal (bluetooth is maybe overkill) but does such thing exist?
    Do a search for LIRC and WinLIRC. I built a receiver and am using an old Blaupunkt thummer remote to do the controlling. I use WinLIRC to grab the remote codes, and IRAssistant to map the button presses to keystrokes.

It's awesome for driving, I rarely have to touch the screen unless I'm doing something in iGuidance.

If you can solder, and have a Radio Shack or something near by you can make one for under 10 bucks. Then just find any IR remote you want to use and your good to go.
    -ZtH01
    "It's my belief that my big balls should be held every night"

Comment

but IR != rf. I dont wanna point the thing

Comment

Only thing I can suggest is taking a wireless numpad/keypad (for a laptop) and hacking it up.

Comment

If you're mounting it on a steering wheel, IR should work fine. You can do a search, I believe there's a thread with all steering wheel remotes. Just use the IR remote with an IR Man. Evation.com is the site I think. You connect that to your carputer, and the steering wheel IR remote will work fine.
          www.mobile-effects.com

Free file hosting, picture gallery hosting for installs, PM me.

Internet's first Front End Skin browser, featured installs, downloads, links, informative articles - all free to registered users.

Comment

but IR != rf. I dont wanna point the thing
            If it's mounted on the steering wheel it's pointed in the right direction....

IR has a pretty wide beam. It works great for pretty much the whole range of motion for the steering wheel. It gets out of range on extreme left turns. But works again once you get the car straightend out a bit. It's never been an issue for me. Unless I had built in controls on the steering wheel, then I'd hack those....

And honestly I don't think you're gonna find anything, unless you don't care what it looks like, or don't mind doing some crazy fabrication work.
            -ZtH01

Comment

iPod Shuffle the new one
              screen name here use to be MegaloRESE15"

Comment

Originally posted by MegaloRESE15" View Post
                iPod Shuffle the new one
                Eh?
                -ZtH01

Comment

Originally posted by ZtH01 View Post
                  If it's mounted on the steering wheel it's pointed in the right direction....

IR has a pretty wide beam. It works great for pretty much the whole range of motion for the steering wheel. It gets out of range on extreme left turns. But works again once you get the car straightend out a bit. It's never been an issue for me. Unless I had built in controls on the steering wheel, then I'd hack those....
                  Well not really, itll be aimed up at all times. Because I want to just simply velcro it to the side of the wheel, just so I can have some easier control. Doesnt have to be anything too fancy. Ill use winamp, so the skin ive got looks kinda like a deck and the buttons are placed good enough to just be able to tap them like a normal deck

Comment

Well not really, itll be aimed up at all times. Because I want to just simply velcro it to the side of the wheel, just so I can have some easier control. Doesnt have to be anything too fancy. Ill use winamp, so the skin ive got looks kinda like a deck and the buttons are placed good enough to just be able to tap them like a normal deck
                    The IR emitter is on the back of these steering wheel remotes.

Trust me they work, and they work damn good.

Are you thinking of just strapping a regular remote to the side of your steering wheel? Yikes.....

Heh, I guess you could mount the IR reciever on your roof, it would probably even fit in the dome light...
                    -ZtH01

Comment

If you're thinking of using a regular remote, only a little hacking is needed to bend the IR LED to face the dash.

Come to think of it, there are 'presentation' remotes, but those are usually bundled with projectors. Wow, here's one for a not-bad price: http://falconsoft.com/item/88304C another: http://www.sureneeds.com/errf1.html

Just Froogle 'RF presentation remote' for even more. Looks like most software that comes with these aren't programmed for what you want to do, but it shouldn't be too difficult to scrounge up the right software to use them with your apps.

Other thoughts that occured, and were posted before the above brain storm:
                      I've seen bluetooth headphones with a remote on the side of one of the ear peices, but those are fairly expensive. If you're a bit of a hardware hacker, you could modify a car remote (the ones to operate the locks, open the trunk, enable car alarm, etc.) and a reciever to work with a PC.

Comment

Well not a "regular" remote, just one of those dinky tiny ones you get with a HU, almost an inch wide, 1/2inch thick, 1.5inch long yknow

Comment

there is the one controller on here I read about, it is more of a column device though... I'll see if I can find it

edit: this
                          http://www.bjnet.demon.co.uk/Empeg/E...ontrol%20Stick
                          My Site: http://www.reinerweb.us
                          My Car : http://members.cardomain.com/reiner15

Car Computer Alias - TekPC
                          Current Progress - - Brainstorming

Comment

Working...
                          X