Usb Hub Power

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Usb Hub Power

Hello, I'm about to install my first car pc next week and I was thinking if its a good Idea use te positive and negative from one of the molex of my opus 250w psu. or if it's necesary buy a point of load.

THANKS. b
    One of the best way to learn is making mistakes, But much better when you learn from someone else mistakes

If it's of the appropriate voltage, it'd work perfectly fine. That's what Ive been doing for the past few months with my hub

Comment

umm...?

Originally posted by dyne View Post
      If it's of the appropriate voltage, it'd work perfectly fine. That's what Ive been doing for the past few months with my hub
      I will apreciate if you tell me how do I find out if the voltage if apropiate?

thanks
      One of the best way to learn is making mistakes, But much better when you learn from someone else mistakes

Comment

Originally posted by Perrosky View Post
        I will apreciate if you tell me how do I find out if the voltage if apropiate?
        Look at the power supply for the hub. It will have a voltage rating somewhere on the power supply (probably 5v, as most USB hubs use 5v).
        If that's the case, you can pull 5v from your Opus PSU to power the hub.
        Tah-dah!
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

On typical PC PSUs, yellow is 12v, both blacks are gnd and red is 5v. You should be able to use a red and black to power the USB hub - this is what I'm doing. You can multimeter it to be sure.

Comment

I also need to power my USB hub when it comes in (D-Link DUB-H7/E). I need to power a DVDRW drive from the USB hub. It seems the pc hangs regularly when it`s connected during POST. that`s why i want to power it from a self powered hub. The HUB comes with a 220>5V/3A Power Supply. Personnally i think this can`t be a good idea to power this with a molex from my M2-ATX supply in my Car PC. Also the USB HUB needs to be at the front of my Car.
            If you`re not first, you`re last !

Comment

Originally posted by Gamer64 View Post
              I also need to power my USB hub when it comes in (D-Link DUB-H7/E). I need to power a DVDRW drive from the USB hub. It seems the pc hangs regularly when it`s connected during POST. that`s why i want to power it from a self powered hub. The HUB comes with a 220>5V/3A Power Supply. Personnally i think this can`t be a good idea to power this with a molex from my M2-ATX supply in my Car PC. Also the USB HUB needs to be at the front of my Car.
              Then get a POL power supply that will supply 5v.
              Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
              How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Working...
              X