12V USB Hub, Help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12V USB Hub, Help!

I've been looking, but I'm having a hell of a time finding a USB hub that accepts 12V DC input.

I'm more than willing to chop off the end of an AC adapter, but so far all that i'm seeing are hubs with an AC adapter that changes the current to 5V DC.

Much love to anybody who can find me a USB Hub that takes 12V DC input, regardless of whether or not I have to modify an AC adapter.

I have everything finally done I just need more USB ports but I don't want to run a 5V line from the PSU all the way to the front of the car when I have an easily accessible 12v source already available.

Or...

Is there some kind of really easy way to step down 12v to 5v?

There are many options, search the forum.

Michael
    ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

I already know there are many options for powering a hub, however the only available option I have is a 12V line, hence why I am simply looking for a hub that accepts 12V input.

Comment

Originally posted by spoonraker View Post
        I already know there are many options for powering a hub, however the only available option I have is a 12V line, hence why I am simply looking for a hub that accepts 12V input.
        It is NOT your only option, it is just the option you prefer.

Now, there probably are not any 12v hubs, since USB standard dictates 5 volts. No point in converting 110 to 12 and then doing it again inside the hub. Manufacturers use the cheapest method, and since they need to include a wall wart to power the hub, they include a 5 volt wall wart, to avoid needing additional regulation inside the hub.

Your second question was how to convert 12 volts to 5 volts. THAT HAS BEEN COVERED, search for the answer. THERE ARE SEVERAL PRODUCTS THAT CAN DO THIS.

Michael
        ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

Agreed. You are very unlikely to find a 12v USB hub. As said there are other alternative methods.

Comment

ok...I just figured that there would be some since 12v is like everything computer and car related...guess I have some searching to do

Comment

Not really. Most logic circuits in computers run at 5v. Everything USB is 5v. Just because a car runs on 12v doesn't mean there'd be something readily available as far as USB hubs go, for cars.

Comment

12v hubs are available, but they are not cheap.

I have a 12v 4 port hub and they are excellent (different manufacturer though).

Here is an example

http://www.ms-visucom.de/cgi-bin/r30...14_select||21|

Hope it helps,

Steve
                System - Epia SP13000 for Main PC, Holux GR-213 USB GPS Receiver SiRF Star III, 2.4Ghz Uplink with VNC and Custom designed USB Intelligent SDC (In DEV). All fed to a Sony CDX-F7500 Headunit via USB. www.wrx-carpc.co.uk

Comment

Wow for 120 euro for a 12VDC 4 ports hub?
                  I would buy a 5VDC hub for about 10-15 bucks and go t wally world and get an auto adapter that can do 1-2 AMP for another 25 bucks or one of the 5V POL in the store.
                  2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
                  89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
                  Y2K Accord Dell GX150
                  RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
                  EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Or a 5 volt 2 amp voltage regulator (7805) for one dollar My external USB DVD drive needs 7.5 volts and I use a simple $1 regulator (7808) on a small heatsink to produce 8V (close enough). Worked great for 2 years now.

Comment

I had the same reaction when searching around... No one makes a 12 volt USB hub? It seems like it is such a specialty item that they are all over $100....

I may see if I can find something a bit nicer then one of the car lighter adapters that does 12 volt to X volt...

Comment

12V hub

Here's a 4 port 12V hub.
                        http://www.usbgear.com/computer_cabl...53%2C210%2C212

Comment

Dave, that looks a LOT more reasonable price tag at $56 compared to $100+ So I am guessing the green bit on the picture: [media]http://www.coolgear.com/images/USBG-4U2ML.jpg[/media] is where my + and - and ground wires would go? Thanks for this information, it seems like a lot of folks on the internet are looking for something like this.

Comment

Yep that's where you wire it. Just little screws to hold a bare wire. I think the actual spec runs +7 to +24V.

Comment

I hope you weren't planning on getting your 12v directly from you car...

If you are getting it from your power supply, then you have 5v available also.

Actually my two powered USB hubs both use 6v power bricks.
                              current projects

Comment

Working...
                              X