Toggle Switch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toggle Switch

I would like to make sure if this is the right way to connect a toggle switch
    so when I put it on OFF cut the power from the battery to the OPUS PSU.H
    One of the best way to learn is making mistakes, But much better when you learn from someone else mistakes

I'm I right?

?????????
    Attached Files
    One of the best way to learn is making mistakes, But much better when you learn from someone else mistakes

Comment

Somthing is wrong, for just "on"-"off" you only need to interrupt the power or ground wire..a two prong/leg switch.

Unless you didn't explain correctly what you want to do.
      OLD SYSTEM (DEAD)
      Intel D945GCLF2 Dual Core ATOM
      Lilliput 7" 629GL 2008 LED Backlight
      BU-353 USB GPS Receiver / iGuidance / IGO8
      M2-ATX Power Supply
      RideRunner Front End / Various Skins
      Windows XP SP3

Comment

NO it's what I want, but may be I bought the wrong switch I BOUGHT
        that one because I saw it on past installs.
        :S

Comment

Then cut the power wire and connect a simple 2 prong/leg switch..one side of the wire to one leg; the othe side of the wire to the other leg.

That will give you ON/OFF or better say POWER/NO POWER getting to the PSU.
          OLD SYSTEM (DEAD)
          Intel D945GCLF2 Dual Core ATOM
          Lilliput 7" 629GL 2008 LED Backlight
          BU-353 USB GPS Receiver / iGuidance / IGO8
          M2-ATX Power Supply
          RideRunner Front End / Various Skins
          Windows XP SP3

Comment

You want to cut power to the ACC wire, NOT the 12v wire. Unless you want your system completely off with no way to suspend (or accidentally use power) while the car is off.

Also, the only reason you would have ground to a switch is if it's a lighted switch.

Also, what do you want to accomplish? Do you want it to be able to come on automatically with the car, and have the ability to shut it off at any time? If so, you want to wire power from the batt to the opus, then have ACC on one prong of the switch, and the other prong going to ACC on the opus.

If you want to be able to turn on the computer ANY TIME, and have it come on with the car (meaning, either on when you want it, or on with the car), you have the wrong switch.

Comment

the switch do have a little led light on top

Comment

So yeah, you need ground, a 12v source (ACC), and the output. You need to look at the switch to determine where the input 12v needs to go, but more than likely the center pin.

Comment

OK. so let me see if I get it the toggle switch go 3 pins

1- | 2- | 3- |
                  Ground ACC Power

1 - I ground the switch

2 - ACC: connect that pin to the 3 wires that opus 250w need to power up.

3 - Power: connect tha pin to the wire that comes from the battery

that is?

Comment

Ok, I am going to revive this since my Opus drained my battery last night in a matter of about 3 minutes (<- is that normal?). Here is What I'm thinking--
                    The car is on and I either:
                    a) want the computer on
                    b) or I want the computer off
                    The car is off and I want:
                    NO power to go the the PSU.
                    First question: I am looking for a 15A switch like this right?
                    Second question: With the battery ON and the computer ON, if I turned the switch off, and wanted to turn it on later, would the computer boot back up? If the switch was OFF while the car was ON, and I turned the switch ON, would the PC boot up? Thanks for the help guys.
                    CarPC: 100%
                    Software: 100%
                    Amps/Subs: 0% (on hold)
                    Fabrication: Need help!!! Someone in Boston area who can help me with this please send me a PM.

Comment

Dumb question.. I knew I should have looked at my old setup before I ripped it all out..

I have an M2-ATX and a SPST 3 legged LED switch. Basically what I want to do is have the switch be a cutoff so if it's off the carputer won't power up (for short drives etc).

The switch has 3 legs. The M2-ATX has a connection (J9) with 2 legs that is for "External On/Off switch".

Now, I give one leg of the LED Switch ground, one leg an IGN line, and the last leg would be a wire from it to the M2-ATX right? Question is the J9 connection has two pins... That's what I don't get?

Thanks
                      Current Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Nitro

Second Vehicle: Sold it :( 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab

First Vehicle: 2003 Ford Ranger

Comment

Working...
                      X