1000 horsepower all wheel drive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1000 horsepower all wheel drive

Hello all, it's been a while since I posted here. My present carputer works great, search my username to have a look at it. I have a new ride. I need to build a computer for it. I have most of the parts already, it's based on an 850 PIII industrial motherboard with an onboard LCD controller. It hooks up to an old point of sale LCD with a touch screen. My biggest challenges right now are to take advantage of the touch screen with a front end, probably RoadRunner. I need to read up on interfacing iguidance and I need to pick a good sound card that has a toslink so I can use sirius. I have a little more capital to put into this one so I'll be buying most of the stuff like the power supply instead of making it.

Here's some pictures of the new ride-

What we have here is a 2000 Dodge Caravan with a 3.8 liter V6. The interior behind the driverís seat and rear axle were ripped out, then a Rolls Royce Nimbus helicopter turbine was installed along with a 9 inch ford rear axle. The turbine will drive the rear axle as soon as I get the transfer case done. It will look totally stock when itís done, the rear window tint hides the turbine fairly well. When itís done the rear window will open and the turbine will slide back so its exhaust will stick out. Thereís some extensions for the rails that the turbine sits on that let me slide the turbine all the way out of the back hatch for maintenance and easy removal.

Iíve put about 2000 miles on it since the turbine and rear axle were installed using the stock engne up front. The turbine starts and runs and I demonstrate it whenever I get a chance. I can't wait until I can fire up the turbine while crusing down the highway whenever I need some extra power.

In addition to the transfer case and rear window modification, I have to build a firewall and a control console. I decided to tackle the control console next as it will contain the carputer and I really would like to have that installed and working as I use this van to travel around for my business.

Iím searching the forums for info but if anyone has any tips on setting up RoadRunner, especially anything concerning integrating satellite radio and navigation, Iíd appreciate the help. I want good sound and good navigation. Anyone who can help me out is welcome to come for a ride or go with me to exhibitions at car shows, drag races etc. When this thing is done it will put on an awesome show. Iím going to pull up to the staring line at the drag strip wearing an old football helmet. When everyone gets tired of watching the old fart beat on his wifeís minivan, the back window will open and then it will be all fire and tire smoke! Iím in the Augusta Georgia area.

Thanks

Turbochris
    Chris Krug
    owner, turbine minivan
    http://www.youtube.com/krugtech

HOLY ****!

Dude, that is sick cool!
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

omfg... wow.

I soooooo wanna see the say when some little primer blue crx pulls up to you and revs his engine, only to see a helicopter turbine shoot out the back of your van and leave him in the dust! Or ash!

What type of fuel does the turbine run on, and how far does a tank get you?

Again, wow.
      Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
      1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
      30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
      15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
      Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Ha HAaaaa you guys are getting me stoked! It will run on diesel, kerosine, jet fuel, whatever, it's a military engine so it's pretty forgiving of what you do with it.

Here's some vids of the last project-

At the drag strip

Driving on the road without insurance or tags

I'm planning on dumping massive amounts of fuel into the exhaust of the turbine in the van and igniting it. It doesn't really make it go any faster but it scares the ***** out of everyone including me and it just seems like the right thing to do.
        Chris Krug
        owner, turbine minivan

Comment

Your vehicle may be the only one that actually requires a spoiler!

I want to see this project mature!
          15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more

Comment

Hahaha, get out dude!

That's insane. Where do you go to buy a jet engine?
            I installed my carpc into my pet Kangaroo, mate.

Comment

holy lesbian sticks!!
              Current:
              [BMW E46 ///M3 Convertible]

Previous:
              [BMW E31 850CSi]|[BMW E39 535i]|[BMW HVAC Research]|[IBUS Scrolling Text]|[BMPuter]|[Velocity]|[TomTom]|[Vision]|[Space Navigator Driver]|[Super Fast Boot]

Comment

I can get you an engine like that for about $6000 plus shipping. Now that may sound like a lot of money, but look at it this way, where can you get something that can put out over 800 horsepower for a few hundred hours straight without any problems? Helicopter hardware is built pretty good.
                Chris Krug
                owner, turbine minivan

Comment

I don't think it will be easy to put a carPC in that van. The FAA has much more strict rules on installed electronics.
                  It's been a while...

Comment

Originally posted by h3rk View Post
                    I don't think it will be easy to put a carPC in that van. The FAA has much more strict rules on installed electronics.
                    thats funny...
                    Im a pilot.

I have become a cross control stall.

Comment

make sure to turn off all non approved electronics when you engage!

Comment

Originally posted by turbochris View Post
                        I can get you an engine like that for about $6000 plus shipping. Now that may sound like a lot of money, but look at it this way, where can you get something that can put out over 800 horsepower for a few hundred hours straight without any problems? Helicopter hardware is built pretty good.
                        that is cheap.. you can't get an ls2 for that much...my modded engine cost double that! damn it, i got screwed!

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
                        omfg... wow.

I soooooo wanna see the say when some little primer blue crx pulls up to you and revs his engine, only to see a helicopter turbine shoot out the back of your van and leave him in the dust! Or ash!

What type of fuel does the turbine run on, and how far does a tank get you?

Again, wow.
                        screw the crx...i want to see a viper!

Originally posted by turbochris View Post
                        My biggest challenges right now are to take advantage of the touch screen with a front end
                        so...your biggest challenge is the touchscreen and front end...not putting a helicopter engine into your van?!!!

curious...does that thing have slow acceleration and just builds power insanely at speed? or is it a lot of power all the time?
                        New System in progress:
                        M10k
                        Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
                        Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
                        Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
                        Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
                        Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                        My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

curious...does that thing have slow acceleration and just builds power insanely at speed? or is it a lot of power all the time?
                          All jet engines build power as they go faster. The stock minivan would probably beat the jet engine in a drag race, but once the jet engine kicks in and the van starts haulin, it's anybody's guess as to how fast it can go.

Are you actually going to drive that around town? Lol that's hilarious...just be careful because there is a ton of lag on jet engines, you let off the pedal, jet keeps going for a good couple of seconds. I'm sure you already knew all this though....

sweet ride!

Comment

time to race Leno on his bike

Comment

can anyone say NUTBAG!!!!
                              Never let the truth get in the way of a good story

Comment

Working...
                              X