No announcement yet.

Wow, check this out.

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow, check this out.

wow, and MSRP is just over $1000. Thats a good deal w/ little or no fuss.
    Progress:99% not 100% because theres always something to do...
    Centrafuse on XP (lited)
    120GB 2.5" SATA HD
    1GB DDR2 Ram
    M2-ATX PS
    Slot-Load DVD
    BU-353 GPS w/Mappoint 2k6

great find, great price

however, i still feel that the technology is way behind what we're achieving on this forum. For one, i can get a full blown computer under 1000k and it will do much more than the unit can.....

it still a great find - one of the advantages is the easy setup and use....
      CTS 05, Mobile Information Center...
      Atom - 1.8ghz
      2GB Ram
      32GB SSD
      8" TouchScreen
      5.6" Screen (overhead) w/reverse capability

Finished Project
      Car Hacking

Originally posted by afterdigital View Post
        i can get a full blown computer under 1000k and it will do much more than the unit can.....
        If you can't get a computer that will do more than that for under $1,000,000 (1000k) then something is wrong! Even $10k should be more than enough!
        Carputer Project Status:
        0% - Mobo died on 2/17/08
        Check out the worklog for my '01 Pathfinder.

My tablet still kicks it's *** and I don't have to worry about my car being broken into because there's a cool gadget in it!

My tablet + docking station cost me $600 - about half of what that unit probably costs - plus my tablet does a ton of other stuff.
          - sh00k
          Duct tape and a Bandana for the win, b!shes!!!

My Setup:

Cost so far: Less than a grand ;]

Economy/Commuter cars + Computers = many entertained miles

when they get smart enough to add web browsing to these mm heads, the need for a carpc will go way down.... it's probably only a matter of time, I mean even the psp can browse, these can't be far behind....

I love my alpine mm head, & it almost does enough to not need the pc, but internet is the biggest thing missing.... & a basic need I would say
            MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

No way $1000.. there current avic is $2000 my buddy just bought one..its ok but the voice recog. doesnt work very well and the POI gps maps arent very current.
              10 acura TL tech
              10 BMW S1000RR

Thats still a great deal, I dont care what anyone says....

Yes, Ill agree with the fact that you cant compare it with our setups and our carputers, but thats not really a fair comparison. This, for being a head unit, looks great and looks like it has a decent amount of features.... I really like the Video part of the iPod interface... That sounds neat. And Divx off of CD-Rs? Come on guys, thats pretty cool
                Carputer Progress
                [||||||||||] 100%
                Finally Installed!!
                Everything is in the car and working.
                I painted the cilpboard mount and it looks good.
                Shutdown/Startup is working excellent!
                View My Progress Here

for $1k, I'd buy it.
                  Is this where the witty comment goes?
                  97 Black pearl Mazda Miata MX-5 Carpc V2? maybee..

Bigest thing is ease for the customer, im excited for when the place i work at starts carrying these.

However, has anyone seen the AVIC Z1? Much more impressive unit...Many more features.

Also, i cant see any company making a MM in-dash system putting internet access on it, they are working very hard to make it so you cant watch video, let alone search the web while you drive

usually, a unit like this will do what it does at least as good as a carpc does those things, but in a very simplistic way..., could you imagine a carpc that booted in like 3 seconds, directly into a front end that never has any bugs, never has any problems... goes from am/FM to DVD, nav & whatever effortlessly... always there & always works.... this is what even the best front end is trying to emulate/simulate really to a certain extent at least...

the 2 arguments against them are the PC can do more & the PC can do it for less... these are both valid, but.... these are much easier... you can actually do the whole thing in one afternoon & then not have to screw with it for problems from there most cases.. the cost of a PC is usually months worth of work & then more months of tweaking & playing...

part of me enjoys the challenge & total customizing possibilities & individuality a carpc brings, but part of me wants a buy it, install it & just use it type deal too...

plus, there getting cheaper & cheaper... I love my carpc but i love my alpine mm head too.... the best would be an alpine with a high resolution screen that does web browsing... I mean of course it's still limited & can't do tons of things a PC can, but most other things are done just cause they can be... if I could get a system that just drops in & does everything perfect with great web interface, I could easily do without a carpc at all I think..

I always did my carpc's cause it was the only way to really get all I want.... If a drop in solution did everything I wanted, I would probably not even use a pc.... sure there would still be some things I'd miss, but the never finished part isn't one of them

I do agree that a unit like this may never really give a usable enough interface for use while driving in it's as-sold form & the liabilities & lawsuits may always keep a carpc a necessity ... they may allow web browsing while parked though, & if it's as easy to buypass as it is now for video, then it'd be fine.....
                      MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc liquid cooled LVDS screen :D